Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who likes looking at maps?

That's wonderful.

Many years ago, I remember some cartographer devising alternative state boundaries for the whole of the country (it might have appeared in The People's Almanac or some such). I can't find the map on-line but would like to post it here.

In the meantime, though, there's this.

Comment

Nice idea that, horrible choice of projection.

Comment

Eureka. The map reducing the U.S. to 38 States is the creation of C. Etzel Pearcy, geography professor at California State University, Los Angeles. Perhaps Incadenza has met him, I don't know.

Comment

Dammit Matej, I was going to post that John Wesley Powell map.

So, instead...a map of Springsteen lyrics, and a digital video rendering of 1814 Washington, DC.

Comment

It would be great to see a map represent this facebook break-up graph.

Comment

"real time mapping of the Twitterverse here"

I remember seeing one of those maps but it must have been fairly soon after Twitter had just started. So you had a map of the world and you'd be able to see and read the tweets of everyone on Twitter at the time. Joao from Sao Paulo says "I'm just nipping out for some Cachaca," etc.

Comment

For fans of hand-drawn maps, this section of Londonist.com is well worth a look. There's evidently going to be an exhibition at the Museum of London of all the hand-drawn maps submitted by readers - for example, Brixton as a tree:

Comment

There's a new book out about hand-drawn maps.

Comment

The Bay Area, as defined by where tourists and locals take pictures

Comment

Ah yes, Alcatraz.

Map of Paris, confirming the boring nature of my neighborhood:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/4671584999/in/set-72157624209158632/

Comment

The Atlas of Remote Islands ("fifty islands I have not visited and never will") looks great.

Comment

jefe wrote:
                          The Bay Area, as defined by where tourists and locals take pictures
                          How on earth does anyone collect data for something like that?

Comment

Data mining photo tags, I believe.

Comment

Looks like they also have GPS data, because of the way the lines are drawn in the water and the way the spots are distributed. You have "clouds", as opposed to dots of different sizes around the landmarks.

Comment

Yeah, geotagging information from Flickr. Some cameras do it automatically, some people add photos they've uploaded to a map. The guy looked to see if photos posted at a location were from people who had other photos from the same city over a long period of time--if so, they were considered to be locals.

WSJ article on the project. I added some notes indicating what was at certain locations for the Los Angeles one.

Comment

A map of the world with population size mapped onto country size. (So China for example - the largest population - takes over Russia - the largest land mass)

http://i.imgur.com/c6Agr.jpg

The UK moves to Mali and is replaced by Tunisia. While the USA, somewhat boringly, stays where it is.

Comment

Comment

This is brilliant. Thanks to the Quietus folk for making me aware.

Now if I only lived there or could do it for NYC...

Comment

The signalling system here isn't capable of producing that data for the entire system yet, which is one of the reasons why we don't have the "next train in X minutes" signs on all lines.

Comment

Those next train in x minute signs just read the timetable anyway. When they adjust to a 6 train going express from 14th to 42nd street because it is playing catch-up, then I will be happy.

Comment

And I will be dead.

Keep in mind that they started building the Second Avenue Subway before my mother started primary school.

Comment

But so was the Bakerloo line in London, wasn't it?

Comment

One of my favorite things about the BART: [Robot voice] "Six-car train to Daly City in four minutes"

Comment

But trains have run on the Bakerloo line.

The Second Avenue Subway will have been under construction for close to a century before the first train runs.

Comment

As a true East Village resident at heart, I thought you meant the sauna station, 2nd Avenue (of the F and sadly departed V line fame).

Comment

Working...
                                                    X