Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Even with Grease I struggle to imagine that album (and singles) outselling Dark Side of the Moon which was on the UK and US album charts for record numbers of weeks
    And is the biggest-selling album of all time not released by Michael Jackson.

But that UK one was largely bollocks anyway. Someone posted it on the Facebook quiz group that myself and another OTFer whose OTF name I can't remember are in, and it got ripped to pieces.

Comment

Map of Aeroflot routes across the old USSR, Omsk airport. Big version here.

Comment

Nice! But now......Tom Lehrer earworm....

Comment

A population cartogram:

More info here

Comment

Nobody puts Bruray in a box…

Comment

Possibly the most stupid piece of legislation in any part of the UK this year. Not as damaging as anything Brexit-related, or all the horrible stuff the Tories are doing to the poor and so on, but, in its own small way, really absolutely terrible on every level. What an absolute prick the Shetland MSP is. I'm ashamed to have him as a fellow party member (but would point out that this bit of the bill evidently got the necessary majority support which takes responsibility for it much wider than just Lib Dems).

Comment

https://twitter.com/972mag/status/1047823136232808450

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                  Possibly the most stupid piece of legislation in any part of the UK this year. Not as damaging as anything Brexit-related, or all the horrible stuff the Tories are doing to the poor and so on, but, in its own small way, really absolutely terrible on every level. What an absolute prick the Shetland MSP is. I'm ashamed to have him as a fellow party member (but would point out that this bit of the bill evidently got the necessary majority support which takes responsibility for it much wider than just Lib Dems).

Oh yeah, only the Tory cunts went against this. Fuck Tavish Scott and Lib Dem voters up there but. It’s been at least 40 Years since the Libs delivered fuck all to up there. If the position on a map is a real issue, Indy would seem to be the cure (then Shetland wouldn’t be as remote a box needing as now). Between tavish Scott, Willie Rennie and Alex Cole Hamilton, there is something especially hateable about Lib Dem Scottish elected reps. Only Ross Tory Cunt Thompson is demonstrably worse. Maybe Murdo Fraser as well.
                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 04-10-2018, 23:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                    Oh yeah, only the Tory cunts went against this. Fuck Tavish Scott and Lib Dem voters up there but. It’s been at least 40 Years since the Libs delivered fuck all to up there. If the position on a map is a real issue, Indy would seem to be the cure (then Shetland wouldn’t be as remote a box needing as now). Between tavish Scott, Willie Rennie and Alex Cole Hamilton, there is something especially hateable about Lib Dem Scottish elected reps. Only Ross Tory Cunt Thompson is demonstrably worse. Maybe Murdo Fraser as well.
                    Easily solved. Put a (to scale) map of Shetland up, and then put up a map to the same scale of the rest of the country in a box.

(No-one said the box has to be rectangular)

Comment

Originally posted by Aitch View Post
                      A population cartogram:

More info here
                      Aitch, can you add a link, please? I love this sort of thing. (Where the fuck is Russia?)

*Oh, wait... it's that wee orange-y bit?

Comment

Sorry, Gerontophile. I initially tried to add a link but failed dismally. The map above was taken from here: https://ourworldindata.org/world-population-cartogram.

Comment

The baronies of Ireland:

Comment

The percentage of Welsh speakers by county in 2018:

Comment

From The New York Times map of nearly every building in the US:

Washington:

Comment

Maybe worth a follow for those of you on Twitter:

UK dialect/vocabulary maps

Comment

Ace!

Comment

Briiliant. I'm going to try and resurrect that good old westcountry term 'appledrones'. It makes wasps sound far less annoying.

Comment

Spectacular global population density/changes visualisation

Comment

That is awesome.

Comment

Has anyone ever produced an alternative map of the House Congressional districts, with numbers replaced by names? "Panhandle West", "Connecticut Coastal", that kind of thing.

I can't get too engaged with "CA-8" or whatever, but if it was called the marginal seat of "Desert Central", I would.
                                          Last edited by tee rex; 14-11-2018, 01:59. Reason: better geography

Comment

Ha! That would require the districts to be coherent and make sense. But it would be fun to do.

Also, the two current live districts in Orange County, CA-39 and CA-45 seem to be "Largely Indistinguishable and Seemingly Nondescript Parts of the LA Sprawl"

Comment

We don’t have that tradition, perhaps because of re-apportionment, which can result in the number of seats a state has changing every ten years, and our related tradition of re-drawing boundaries.

For example, when I was a kid, NY-17 had long been known as the Silk Stocking District because it encompassed the Upper East Side, the poshest part of the city, but since then

The 17th was historically the East Side Manhattan district. In the 1970s it was a Staten Island seat. It became the west side Manhattan seat in the 1980s. It became a Bronx-based seat in the 1992 remap and was shifted north into Rockland county in 2002 to absorb terrain from the deconstruction of the old 20th District.
                                              Last edited by ursus arctos; 14-11-2018, 02:21.

Comment

https://mobile.twitter.com/Scarfolk/...23489929601024

Comment

Where's Thurmarsh?

Comment

A map of unregistered land in England and Wales

Comment

Working...
                                                    X