No announcement yet.

Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's a lot about Bentham's Panopticon idea at Port Arthur in Tasmania and you can actually go in and see how it worked and what it looked like (including these tiny strips for exercise and fresh air (one at a time) and the chapel (which of course everyone was forced to attend as it was good for their troubled souls) in which basically everyone was in their own private box looking down at the priest.

What really blows you away is the knowledge that this was a liberal reformist approach compared to what had gone before

Comment

When did the embankment get put in? Maps of this part of London look weird before that familiar curve gets built in.

I have often thought about how strange the location of the Gare d'Orsay was. Right in the middle of a city, like London, that seemed to have it's terminals in a ring. Sorry, that's a bit of a non sequitur but the large Vauxhall rail estate above prompted the thought.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        There's a lot about Bentham's Panopticon idea at Port Arthur in Tasmania and you can actually go in and see how it worked and what it looked like (including these tiny strips for exercise and fresh air (one at a time) and the chapel (which of course everyone was forced to attend as it was good for their troubled souls) in which basically everyone was in their own private box looking down at the priest.

What really blows you away is the knowledge that this was a liberal reformist approach compared to what had gone before
        A bit like Lincoln Gaol?

- The private stalls were to stop prisoners "associating" with each other.

https://www.lincolncastle.com/content/victorian-prison

http://connections.lincolncastle.com...?itok=DOKDuxzM

Comment

It's a potential shitstorm if the bloke nearest the wall needs a piss or wants to refill his popcorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
            It's a potential shitstorm if the bloke nearest the wall needs a piss or wants to refill his popcorn.

Unless he was from Sunderland…

Comment

Map and illustrations of the isle of Eigg, from JA Harvie-Brown & TE Buckley's A Vertebrate Fauna Of Argyll And The Inner Hebrides, 1892. Big version here.

Comment

Lovely

Do UK topographical maps still give figures for individual topo lines as that one does?

I was used to that growing up, but have since become used to the European/Google standard without them (largely because there isn't sufficient space in truly mountainous areas).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  Do UK topographical maps still give figures for individual topo lines as that one does?
                  They do, yeah. This would seem like a good time to say that Bing Maps offers free online access to Ordnance Survey maps covering the entire country, here. The user experience is a bit clunky, but if in the little dropdown menu in the top right-hand corner you select Ordnance Survey, wait for a while, refresh the page and zoom in, it ought to work (that's usually what it requires for me, anyway.

Comment

Ah, that's a great tip.

The free Swiss app is the best that I've found so far for Europe, though the French one is also good (and has great historical content)

Comment

Interactive Southwest Dist-O-Map. Turn the dial to your starting place and find the distance to several locations.

Comment

Seems like a piece of string would be simpler.

Comment

Without wishing to be too much of a fanboy for a promotional product from Big Oil, that map is a really neat idea. And no, a piece of string wouldn't really work, unless it were both calibrated and easily moulded to the curves of the highways.

Comment

String is known for being mouldable.

Comment

But not so much for staying stably in place as you try to trace out a route on a map, so not mouldable in any useful sense in this context.

Comment

I used to love those rotational distance maps - I think we acquired a handful of them when visiting the US when I was a kid. Of course, I destroyed them by playing with them too much, because they were interactive and maps at the same time )long before such things were available on every desk and in every pocket) - so they were the very best toy I could have imagined.

Comment

During the summer I went to the museum in March, which seems to be essentially the results of several decades in house clearances in the town. One item I noticed was a journey planner which consisted of a map of the UK. There were loads of pins in different towns and at major road junctions (it probably dated from the 1920s, so this well before motorways). At March there was a string which you could pull and wrap round the pins to mark your route, and as you pulled the string a dial recorded to total distance. Obviously the major flaw was that it didn't work if you didn't want to go to or from March.

Comment

Panoramic map of the Panama Canal, as proposed by the French in 1881. More info here.

Comment

The dial map reminds me of the cardboard world cup fixtures dial on the 1970 special issue of Goal, which I kept and had on the wall in a student house until someone decided to make a flamethrower out of a deodorant spray. My 1977/8 Gladbach team pic died in the same blaze.

EDIT: wrong of course- it was Charles Buchan's Football Monthly. Only picI can find is on Pi9nterest, so I can't link it. And it's not a map, though what Iliked about it was the flags
                                      Last edited by Felicity, I guess so; 08-12-2017, 09:41.

Comment

The French were going to dig the Panama Canal without locks? I'm not surprised that it failed...

Comment

Map showing the geographical location of team in Roy Of The Rovers, via Cyril Knight's Twitter account ("the only place to find new Roy Of The Rovers stories, stats, games, cards and more...."), here.

Comment

Elefant und Burg, oder Elefant und Schloß?

http://homepage.univie.ac.at/horst.p...mapgerman.html

Comment

AotA - didn't Blücher refer to Waterloo as "La Belle Alliance"?

Comment

It was the name of the inn where he and Wellington met at the end of the battle

Comment

Yes. I know.

Waterloo was the village where Wellesley was billeted before the battle.

Comment

What was the DUFC team in Roy o't Rovers..?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X