Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What? No cheese and gravy?

Comment

Lisa Nandy's (MP for Wigan) new think tank The Centre for Towns has a good map section on their website. They've mapped a lot of transport data - passengers at stations, flow of buses/cars etc.

Comment

The political geography of The Handmaid's Tale:

Can anyone supply the legend for the Pacific States?

Comment

Comment

Bit of a mix and match that - Algeria is Land of the Islands in Arabic, but Morocco, from Marrakesh, is only Land of God in Berber. The arab name for it is "The furthest west", which would be consistent with the others.

Comment

This popped up recently. It's diagrams showing the orientation of streets in cities (or, more accurately, their junctions, which allows for curvy streets to be measured). It's fascinating, how US grid cities are almost all oriented along cardinal directions: NYC being an exception because Manhattan rudely doesn't quite align properly. Internationally, although there are grid cities, they aren't generally NS/EW aligned. Obviously, older non-centrally-planned cities are messier, but even they seem to have some structure to them - London, for example, has a bit of empty space on the 45 degree lines, which presumably is a consequence of everything being bounded by the Thames - either going alongside, or perpendicularly away from.

and

Comment

American arm exports over time

Won't let me post the video, sadly
                Last edited by Nefertiti2; 19-07-2018, 20:10.

Comment

Simple quiz question: what does this map show?

Comment

Countries that drive on the left?

Comment

Correct, Rogin. Now you just have to name them ... (OK, copy and paste them).

Comment

https://twitter.com/jgmariner/status/1019451218731651072

Comment

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1021381934080053250

Comment

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1021164249303875584

Comment

Does tee rex's map up there have a blue dot for Pitcairn Island. Surely an island with 50 odd inhabitants doesn't have cars or even roads. I'm guessing they come under the legal jurisdiction of the UK, Australia or New Zealand so their RTA applies. For what it's worth.

Comment

3,000 parsecs from home -

https://www.cosmos.esa.int/web/gaia/iow_20180614

Comment

Here's How America Uses Its Land

Comment

I very much like the fact that golf courses are classified along with cemeteries, marshes, deserts and other areas of “low economic value.”

Comment

Related...

Comment

Like the "Cryptic Crossword" thread, I don't normally come on here as it is frighteningly unwieldy and I also think you are all weirdos so this map of Best Selling Singer, Music Artist or Band From Each US State may have already been posted. Perhaps it should be in "Music" as well.

Comment

I've seen one of the UK too that contains the surprising (and frankly unbelievable) news that Olivia Newton John sold more records than Pink Floyd

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                            I've seen one of the UK too that contains the surprising (and frankly unbelievable) news that Olivia Newton John sold more records than Pink Floyd
                                            Presumably ONJ’s includes Grease?

Comment

Some states really aren't pulling their weight. I understand that with only a few hundred thousand residents, there's no guarentee of anything worthwhile coming out of Wyoming. But Ohio is the seventh biggest state, and has 11 million people. Is the best they can do really Rascal Flatts?

Comment

Wiz Khalifa is from North Dakota?

Ohio’s result is especially surprising given the fact that it is the home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyDracula View Post
                                                  Presumably ONJ’s includes Grease?
                                                  Even with Grease I struggle to imagine that album (and singles) outselling Dark Side of the Moon which was on the UK and US album charts for record numbers of weeks

Comment

Let's all move to Alberta:

According to half a minute's research, it is (more or less) true. News to me, anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X