No announcement yet.

Who likes looking at maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Augustus S Mitchell's depiction of Principal Mountains Of The World, from A New Universal Atlas Containing Maps Of The Various Empires, Kingdoms, States & Republics Of The World, 1849. Big version here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
      Adam Bolton (Sky News)

A snake is hardly the most flattering comparison and it's hard not to believe that Bird was having a dig at the much derided "metropolitan elites". His snake has swallowed most of the UK's Remain voting areas - except for Scotland, Northern Ireland and Newcastle.
      Also hard not to believe an intern threw your vacuous shite together while you were at lunch.

Comment

The Automobile Club of Southern California's strip map of a detail of the Lincoln Highway from Omaha to Chicago and Philadelphia, 1921. Info and other strip maps here.

Comment

Excellent

Two years earlier, then Lieutenant Colonel Dwight Eisenhower was a senior officer in a military convoy that travelled from coast to coast, mostly along that route averaging 6 mph.

The experience would be central to Eisenhower’s advocacy of the Interstate Highway System during his presidency.

Comment

That's lovely. But look at all those turns at intersections between Logan and Woodbine. It would drive you insane.

That description of the Eisenhower expedition crossing the desert brings to mind the plank road across the Imperial Dunes - which was literally a road made out of wooden planks placed on top of the sand sea to create a "road" from Yuma to the Imperial Valley (and therefore San Diego, to bring people in for the Panama-California Expo). I've never stopped to try and find a section to look at when driving through, but it sounds like it would have been utterly miserable to traverse.

Comment

Panoramic view of Italy and the Mediterranean, looking from the Alps, 1853. Huge version here.

Comment

Illustration of "the most populated area in the world - Manchester," from The Civic Handbook, 1926.

Comment

Amazingly, Heywood (upper middle) and Royton (far right) used to be in the same parliamentary constituency

Comment

Yeah, but New Mills is in the wrong place. And where's Salford?

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                      Yeah, but New Mills is in the wrong place. And where's Salford?
                      Salford's in the middle with Manchester. The topology has been bent a lot, as Leigh is not that far south either.

Comment

Originally posted by gjt View Post
                        Salford's in the middle with Manchester.
                        D'oh!

Comment

Strict Manchester is now what, half a million? Unless Salford is huge, I guess Manchester lost close to Glasgow or Merseyside amounts of people post-war.

Comment

Riffing off the cartoons redux thread, a map of bread roll names.

https://www.villagebakery.co.uk/assets/bread-roll.png

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                              Linguistic map of Sardinia.

Jaysus, Garibaldi was insane wasn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by Aitch View Post
                                Riffing off the cartoons redux thread, a map of bread roll names.

https://www.villagebakery.co.uk/assets/bread-roll.png
                                A teacake is something different no? It's bread-y and in a roll shape, but i wouldn't classify it as a bread roll

Comment

Comment

Comment

Aw, man, now I want a Tunnock's.

Comment

What GO posted is my idea of a teacake

Comment

In some places also

Comment

That's a McDonalds burger, without the burger.

Comment

GO posted what I consider to be a tea cake. It never occured to me before that Tunnock's Tea Cakes and tea cakes might have the same linguistic root.

Comment

Not a map per se, but this might scratch the same itch for some of youse:

If you lived in a house with the address 5 Station Road, it probably wouldn’t surprise you if you learned that there was another house somewhere in the country which also had the address 5 Station Road. There are, after all, over 2000 streets named Station Road in the UK.

[...]

I found myself wondering what the shortest distance was between two Address Twins – houses with the same number and the same street-name.
                                                The answer might surprise you!

Comment

Fascinating. And the end result is utterly bonkers.

Comment

Map showing the location of pigeon stations connecting Moscow to the front, November/December 1941.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X