X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first single I bought

Comment

Lonely this Christmas by Mud. Like SR, after buying my first record it was years before I bought another. Not sure why.

Comment

Given I launched this thread with BA Robertson, surely your shameful debut could be stepping off point for a first album thread, Toby?
        Come on, there's nothing wrong with "Bang Bang". Especially not since a former member of this parish told us that he lost his cherry in a shed while "Bang Bang" was playing.

Comment

I know, I was just trying to drag Toby along. Who was the Bang Banger in question then?

Comment

Baggy Trousers - Madness, followed by Embarrassment and then Do Nothing by The Specials.

I bought more embarrassing records aged 20 than I did at 10

Comment

My wife has volunteered '7 Teen' by The Regents as her first purchase, a song which I have no recall of (even after a YouTube viewing). She also said how sad she had been on the following week's TOTP that despite her buying it, it now had a lower number in the chart.

She can't remember the first album she bought, typical girl.

Comment

Harry! Your wife is A-OK!!

That's a cracking song!

(You wouldn't have thought so, though, going by the TOTP audience here)

Comment

Apache by the Shadows came into my possession after I swapped something for it at school. We were always swapping things then.

The first 45 I ever bought was The Rolling Stones "It's All Over Now" b/w "Good Times, Bad Times" I can still see the blue Decca label and the writer credit (Nanker/Phelge), and I always wondered who the hell Nanker/Phelge were, but of course it was Mick and Keith, but I didn't know that till years later.

Comment

"Fox on the Run" by the Sweet, when I was seven.

I then ran home, played air guitar and mimed to it (cringes with embarrassment).

Comment

Who was the Bang Banger in question then?
                      TVMP

Comment

Alderman Barnes wrote:
                        It was the longest place name in the world, I believe.
                        I thought Bangkok had the longest place name in the world (not 'Bangkok', of course, but its full ceremonial name).

I can't remember my first single. And if you think I'm saying that to cover my embarrassment, you should see what I've owned up to on the albums thread.

Comment

T.Rex - Children of the Revolution

Comment

P.S. I think I bought 'Too Young" by Donny Osmond a couple of weeks later.

Comment

This is easier, it was 'We Don't Talk Anymore' by Cliff Richard, for my mum.

First one I bought for myself I still own - 'Funkytown' by Lipps Inc. From the 10p box, bargain.

Comment

delicatemoth wrote:
                                First one I bought for myself I still own - 'Funkytown' by Lipps Inc. From the 10p box, bargain.
                                Quality!

I got that too, but I can't remember if I bought it myself or if my sister bought it for me. She did, however, buy me this little nugget of joy.

Comment

Aged 7, 'Part of the Union' by The Strawbs, for 48p from The Electrical Shop in Market Rasen. Years later I was ashamed to note that the song was a satire on trade unionism, but even more years later I think its lyrics can be interpreted ambiguously. It can definitely be sung as a kind of 'fuck you' celebration of being in a union. And it's aged better than Billy Bragg's po-faced 'Power In A Union'.

Later that year the old bat in The Electrical Shop did me over good and proper - I'd got a 50p gift voucher for my eighth birthday, and wanted to buy Elton John's 'Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting', which was (unbeknown to me at the time, but as outlined in WSC illustrator Tim Bradford's excellent new book Small Town England) actually written about Market Rasen by Elt's local Lincs. lyricist Bernie
                                  Taupin. They didn't have it in stock, so she and her assistant press-ganged me into buying 'Snoopy vs The Red Baron' by one-hit failures The Hotshots. Which was going down the charts at the time. You just didn't buy singles that were going out the charts.

I didn't want the damned thing, but they made me feel that I had to buy something, and clearly they were shifting stock because they knew no one wanted it any more. Pah, bastarding music industry.

Comment

Harry your missus has got fine taste that was one of my favourite tracks of the 80s.

Comment

It wasn't quite my first single, and I certainly didn't want the damn thing, but my mum bought me "Long Haired Lover From Liverpool" by Chubby Jimmy Osmond, mainly because she thought he was cute. Gah!

Just to rub salt into the wound, she spent the other half of the £1 uncle/aunt birthday gift on Slade's absolutely brilliant "Gudbuy T' Jane".

Comment

My wife has volunteered '7 Teen' by The Regents as her first purchase, a song which I have no recall of (even after a YouTube viewing).
                                        Without looking at YouTube, I could have a crack at the chorus from memory.

Comment

I would also have a crack at

Taumatawhakatangihangakoayauotamateaturipukakapiki maungahoronukypokaiwhenuakitanatahu

Comment

First single bought for me was Pinky and Perky (fortunately, cant remember the title). First single I used my pocket money to buy (but didnt actually purchase) was Rhiannon (Fleetwood Mac).

First single I ever actually paid for over the counter was Rafaella Carra's phenomenal 'Do It, Do It Again', which I bought for my mate's 9th birthday (number 1 in 1975, fact fans).

First single I ever bought for myself was actually a 12" of 'Pale Shelter' by Tears For Fears, which was very late for me... however I have a brother who is 4 years older than me (and might lurk here occasionally) who had great taste in music, and was earning fortunes, so I had no need to pay for anything.

However (DERAIL ALERT), the LAST single I bought was 'Spacer' by Sheila & B Devotion, and that was in 1987 from Rounder Records (in Brighton), and I actually ordered it, then moved back to London the next week. As far as I know, they may still have it!

Comment

'Another Day' by Paul McCartney.

It was credited on the label to 'P & L McCartney' and I thought his mum and dad had written it to help him get over the Beatles splitting up.

Comment

Not sure but probably "since you've been gone "by Rainbow, I've lost my teenage love of the heavier end of rock but I'll still give myself a sore throat trying to sing like Graham Bonnet on the rare occasions I hear it nowadays

Comment

"Poetry In Motion"- Johnny Tillotson

Followed a little later by

"Runaway" - Del Shannon

Comment

I got "Mr Blobby" for Christmas when I was 11.

'Widely regarded as the worst song of all time' is the standard phrase, I believe.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X