The first single I bought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officially it was Life On Mars, but it could equally have been Alright Now or Bad Bad Boy by Nazareth...

Comment

G.Man wrote:
      What foolishness. There is some very good stuff on his first few albums.
      No amount of goodwill can excuse Grandma's Fucking Feather Bed.

Comment

Which wasn't on the first few albums.

Comment

Space Oddity by David Bowie, and I've still got it!

Comment

I'm not sure which was the first single I bought. I went into Woolworths in Gillingham with the intention of buying Are Friends Electric? by Tubeway Army, which I did, but also managed to come back with The Lone Ranger by Quantum Jump (that one with the really long Maori name in the intro).

The first single that was bought for me was actually an EP - The Magical Mystery Tour, complete with a fantastic comic book, which I used to spend hours poring over. Man, I can smell the radiogram from here.

Comment

Bought three at the same time in a dept store sale:
              Gary Glitter-Rock n Roll.
              Roxy Music-Pyjamarama.
              Elton John-Island Girl.

Comment

Alderman Barnes wrote:
                I'm not sure which was the first single I bought. I went into Woolworths in Gillingham with the intention of buying Are Friends Electric? by Tubeway Army, which I did, but also managed to come back with The Lone Ranger by Quantum Jump (that one with the really long Maori name in the intro).
                That was an actual name? I just assumed it was gibberish. I have a horrible image of a video for it depicting a cartoon "tribesman" of some sort with a bone through his nose.

I always link that song with. 'Nice Legs, Shame About the Face' by The Monks, possibly because they were on the same edition of 'TOTP' or maybe because they're both linked with The Kenny Everett Show in my mind.

Comment

It was the longest place name in the world, I believe. I'm pretty sure that hearing it on the Kenny Everett show was the reason why I bought it. Even for my childish tastes, it soon became tiresome, mind.

Are Friends Electric was a colossus of a song though, even if Gary Numan did sound like Bluebottle off of the Goon Show.

Comment

It was either Cars by Gary Numan or Heart of Glass by Blondie. In my mind, they're separated by weeks, but it could have been a year or more.

Comment

I've just watched the Quantum Jump song on YouTube and had completely forgotten about the "poofter" reference which was left in for TOTP.

Comment

This TOTP performance inspired 12 year old me to buy it while Christmas shopping a couple of days later

Comment

Wild Honey by the Beach Boys. It cost me 7/6 at the Co-op in Bracknell (second floor - much fun had at the time, riding up and down in the lifts. We knew how to enjoy ourselves in those days.) It's now a cheap goods shop - nicknamed 'Harrods' by locals.

I'd much rather I could say I'd bought a better one by them. I'd been building up a head of steam of love for their music, but my first buying power coincided with Wild Honey.

Comment

frontier psychiatrist wrote:
                            This TOTP performance inspired 12 year old me to buy it while Christmas shopping a couple of days later
                            Oh man, I love this track.

In a tragic installment of "where are they now", one of Altern 8 is currently doing time at HMP Exeter for dealing heroine on the streets of Plymouth.

erwin wrote:
                            I'd much rather I could say I'd bought a better one by them. I'd been building up a head of steam of love for their music, but my first buying power coincided with Wild Honey.
                            See, I think Wild Honey is by far their best album, although Darlin is the better single off it.

Comment

Gary Glitter - "(I'm The) Leader Of The Gang (I Am)"

There was a long interval till I bought my next one, something like five years.

Comment

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                                Gary Glitter - "(I'm The) Leader Of The Gang (I Am)"

There was a long interval till I bought my next one, something like five years.
                                The same. Although I didn't wait 5 years before getting another one.

Comment

But it was the single I bought, Fussbudget. I'd be much prouder if Darlin', which was fab (and which I bought later) had been my first.

Wild Honey has that really annoying siren-sounding thingy, and some really strangulated vocals.

Comment

I did think it was the single but I got confused by this 7/6 business (I still am). The single's really good too though.

Comment

seven shillings and sixpence

(I really don't like Wild Honey now, sorry).

Comment

This.

Comment

It was either African Waltz by Johnny Dankworth or FBI by The Shadows. The next, I'm reasonably sure, was Hey Paula, signaling a decline in my musical taste that's continued to this day.

Comment

Ossie's Dream by the Tottenham Hotspur FA Cup Final Squad. I was eight.

Four years would pass before I ventured back into a record shop, and that was to buy One Vision by Queen - so I'm not sure things improved in the interim.

My first album was some Disney comp from Woolworths, but let's draw a veil over that one eh.

Comment

Even that cannot be as bad as my first album.

Comment

Do please elaborate - I'm keen to climb out of this thread's relegation zone.

Comment

PM for you. Keep it to yourself.

Comment

Given I launched this thread with BA Robertson, surely your shameful debut could be stepping off point for a first album thread, Toby?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X