The first single I bought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always used to tell people that I bought 'Going Underground' by The Jam and the 1980 reissue of 'Paranoid' by Black Sabbath at the same time as my debut 7 inch purchases. I thought it painted me as a genre-busting iconoclast straddling diverse musical styles with ease.

In fact, a while earlier (I thought it was a few weeks but after checking it actually charted some months previously in 1979 so it might have been then) I had firmly planted my marker in the territory of cool by buying this.

Yes, yes, I know - "We've done this before!" but I felt the need to confess.

I think my timings may have been all over the place, but I know I got Bad Manners “Special Brew” & Blondie’s “The Tide Is High” in one shopping seesion then a week later The Specials “Ghost Town”. If I’d reversed this I might have been even cooler than I actually am.

Comment

Kraftwerk - 'Autobahn' 7", 1974

Comment

evilC wrote:
        Yeah, yeah. We all know it was the infinitely superior 'Tiger Feet' (which would be my entry in any "Your first memory of pop music" thread).

Comment

Spizzenergi Mega City 3/Work, after there was an article on it in 2000AD.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
            evilC wrote:
            Yeah, yeah. We all know it was the infinitely superior 'Tiger Feet'(which would be my entry in any "Your first memory of pop music" thread).
            I have to admit that I resumed my childhood immediately after that brief oscilloscope-like blip and my next few purchases would probably have been to do with Gary Glitter, Roy Wood or ELO.

Comment

Mumpo wrote:
              Spizzenergi Mega City 3/Work, after there was an article on it in 2000AD.
              Cool!!!

Comment

Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep. (Actually my mama gone bought it for me).

PS good choice Harry.

Comment

Harry Truscott wrote:
                  evilC wrote:
                  Yeah, yeah. We all know it was the infinitely superior 'Tiger Feet' (which would be my entry in any "Your first memory of pop music" thread).
                  The intro to Chicory Tip's 1973 hit Good Grief Christina, since you ask.

Comment

'Wannabe' by the Spice Girls. Please don't tell anyone.

Comment

Ian Dury and The Blockheads - Reasons To Be Cheerful, part 3

Comment

Get Down Shep by The Barron Knights

Comment

Hey You The Rock Steady Crew by, er, The Rock Steady Crew.

Comment

Mine was Back Home by the England 1970 World Cup Squad.

Forty years of hurt.

My next purchase was "I Did What I Did For Maria" by Tony Christie which raced along tunefully to my then 10-year-old self.

A couple of years ago I decided to actually listen to the lyrics and realised it was about a man on death row who had killed the man who had raped and murdered his wife.

Comment

'Youth of Today' by Musical Youth, their follow up to 'Pass the Duchie'.

I think I did better with the next two singles I bought: 'Billie Jean' by Michael Jackson and 'Don't Tell Me' by Blancmange.

Comment

Disco Sea Shanties wrote:
                                I think I did better with the next two singles I bought: 'Billie Jean' by Michael Jackson and 'Don't Tell Me' by Blancmange.
                                I didn't. The second single I bought was Shaddap Your Face by Joe Dolce.

Comment

I'm not sure I did. My second was Money Go Round by The Style Council.

Comment

Green Door by Shakin' Stevens.

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again: mine was "Hell Raiser" by the Sweet. I have no regrets about that at all.

We'll draw a discreet veil over the fact that I used to own a John Denver LP.

Comment

Actually, never mind a discreet veil: that one needs the full niqab.

Comment

'Billy Don't Be A Hero' was my 1st single purchase, from Woolworths in Elgin. I was well into Westerns as a kid, so that might explain it.

I had not one but TWO Neil Sedaka albums.

Comment

Why on Earth... wrote:
                                            Was it this one by any chance? My mother had it and played it to death.

Comment

What foolishness. There is some very good stuff on his first few albums.

Anyway, I was five years old when I bought my first single, and when I saw it in a shop window last Wednesday, I nearly bought it again, for 4 Euros. Being a total nostalgist, I regret not having done so.

And if anyone really wants to hear or see it

Comment

I can't remember. Honest.

Comment

G.Man wrote:
                                                  What foolishness. There is some very good stuff on his first few albums.
                                                  Wa-hey! Now to get back to Ladbrokes for my pay-out.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X