Graphic Novels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphic Novels

I'd recommend V for Vendetta, Superman:Red Son (Superman is a hero of the Soviet Union and not all-American)and various works by Joe Sacco.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Chris Ware's 'Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth' is incredible. A pretty bleak work- it deals with failure, alienation, depression and delusion- but there's something indescribably beautiful about it. Poignant's an overused word, but probably the best one for this. The protagonist is a lonely middle aged bloke who imagines himself as a superhero (Super-Man, a recurring figure for Ware).

Not a lot happens for long periods, but it's not a lot that's integral to the mise-en-scene. Some of the drawings are stunning: bleak outskirtrs of rundown American Towns drawn like cigarette cards.

And they're not novels, but everyone needs a couple of American Splendor anthologies. They're nothing more than the day-to-day happenings of a sarcastic, grumpy but incredibly likeable hospital clerk called Harvey Pekar. The film (of the same name) is an absolute treat too. (If you like them then 'Our Cancer Year' and 'Our Movie Year' are 'graphic novels' by Pekar).

Comment

Graphic Novels

Heh! Weird circularity (or maybe not?).

Harvey Pekar wrote the foreword for 'Ed The Happy Clown', which I mentioned earlier. It's then transposed into 'graphic' form by the author, Chester Brown, with himself as a giggly bunny rabbit and Pekar as a psychotically irritable dwarf.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I'm about halfway through Watchmen and finding that it's good in places, but really poor in others. I also noted on IMDB that they're making a film of it. For that to work it would have to deviate a million miles from the book.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Which parts have you found really poor, out of interest?

Comment

Graphic Novels

The newsstand/marooned sailor bits. Some of the non-comic bits. And there was a section that was a bit all over the place.

The Rorshash stuff is quite good.

Comment

Graphic Novels

The main library in South Dublin has been closed for refurbishment for the last six months. It reopened yesterday so I went in for a look - they've done a fantastic job. It's bright, full of stock and lots of computers with free internet.

The graphic novels/comics section was a bit of a disappointment though - only one and a half shelves worth. They had got Maus though. I also got Old Boy - I'm not sure if the comic came before the film or not but it looks interesting.

I started reading Maus last night and am 120 pages in. It is superb - very moving, subtle and in parts funny. The four page comic strip about his mother's suicide is astonishing.

Comment

Graphic Novels

The Eisner nominations are out. Lots of nods for Whedon, Vaughan and Tan.

Comment

Graphic Novels

The latest Chris Ware volume I've seen is Acme Novelty Library No. 18, which is typically bleak but very affecting, worth a read.

There's going to be a huge shift in mainstream understanding of games and comics in the next decade or two. I think comics have pretty much got there in the UK. The LRB ran Spiegelman's In The Shadow Of No Towers, you regularly read reviews of Clowes or Moore works in broadsheets, and most bookshops have sizeable sections dedicated to comics
                    I don't know, it's the oft-quoted 'failure' of graphic novels that after the mainstream breakthroughs of Watchmen and The Dark Knight, nothing else has really escaped the chains of the 'genre fiction' label. The Sandman collections were supposed to be the next volumes to break the mould, but they didn't manage to shrug off their pigeonholing as goth fodder, and there's yet to be another graphic novel that looks like troubling the bestseller lists.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Sales is far from everything. Games now make more money than films, but they're still in a similar cultural ghetto to comics. Literary comics (for want of a better term) are always going to be niche, but then so is most literary fiction (or poetry, say). My point was more that the likes of Maus, Watchmen, V For Vendetta, Ghost World and so on are getting close to the cultural touchstone status within the establishment of their equivalents in other media, and this will only improve with time.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Thanks for the recommedation for Maus - it was an incredible read.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I'll chime in with V for Vendetta, which I usually re-read once a year and always enjoy very, very much.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I think GY is basically right.

I think we've already reached the point where comics and graphic novels are accepted by a large segment of "indy" and hipster types, but as with everything its easier for small presses to reach those people because they usually "work harder" to find cool new stuff.

But there's still a distribution bottleneck. Comic shops, while fun to hang out in, aren't that plentiful and people who aren't arleady into comics aren't likely to go there. They tend to focus on the superhero, horror, fantasy and sci-fi comics because they dovetail well with their other product offerings - Magic: The Gathering, collectible toys, MacFarlane toys, games, etc and don't devote a lot of room to the artsy or obscure black and white stuff.

Book chains, like Barnes & Noble, tend to shove all their graphic novels into the same section as the Dungeon Master's guides and, as far as I can tell, usually only carry the best selling DC/Marvel/Dark Horse stuff.

Libraries are beginning to carry more stuff. Hopefully that will only continue to expand.

Meanwhile, I'm told the book chains sell a lot of manga, especially to 14-year-old girls. Unfortunately, that audience doesn't seem to cross over.

Most of the non-superhero comics getting anything approaching widespread distribution are in what I guess you could call "adjacent genres" - crime, cloak & dagger, sci-fi, horror, fantasy adventure, etc. I guess its because there's an established group of customers at comic shops who all like superheros, or at least did as kids, and will therefore be good targets for those genres.

DC and Marvel superhero books were among the only things to survive the comics code upheaval of the late 1950s, but then they came to totally dominate the medium because nothing else could get wide distribution. Its really remarkable. No other medium I can think of is so totally dominated by one sub-genre. It's like if all of a sudden 95% of movies were about gangsters or every tv show were about people stuck on an island.

It's a bit like why the cheaper pilsners were the only beer in America for a long time. There used to be other beers, but those were the most popular and therefore the only companies big enough to survive prohibition.

Unfortunately, now that means that most people have no idea there is any kind of comic but superhero comics.

As with the beer, it's going to continue to take time for non superhero stuff to find a way to get to readers.

I usually order things from Marsimport.com or amazon.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Book chains, like Barnes & Noble, tend to shove all their graphic novels into the same section as the Dungeon Master's guides and, as far as I can tell, usually only carry the best selling DC/Marvel/Dark Horse stuff.

Meanwhile, I'm told the book chains sell a lot of manga, especially to 14-year-old girls. Unfortunately, that audience doesn't seem to cross over.
                              This is one of the areas where I think there's a big divide between the UK and the US. In London at least (any comics fans outside of London, please let me know if it's different elsewhere) the book chains carry as much almost as much of the "high brow" stuff as they do the Marvel/DC collections. Every chain bookstore that has a comics section, and it's most of them in London, will have Sandman, Preacher, Transmet, Hellblazer, several Alan Moores, a few Clowes and Sacco books, and so on. They're not so good at carrying new books, it's true, but they certainly don't just concentrate on superheroes. And while they carry manga, it tends to be a smaller selection than in the US. I read somewhere that Naruto alone is responsible for something like half of all manga sales in the US, whereas it has no real cultural relevance here.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Superheros are mostly an American obsession. They never really caught on big in Europe.

Also, a lot of the books and authors you mention there happen to be British, so there might be a natural domestic content guideline influencing B&N's decisions on what to push in their stores.

Superhero comics have influenced a lot of anime and manga, and vice-versa, but American superheroes as we know them here are not big in Japan, as far as I know.

Our stores usually carry Sandman, Hellblazer, Transmet and stuff like that too, but those are all published by DC or DC/Vertigo and fall into genre's "adjacent" to superheroes.

Do you get the Queen & Country over there? It's among my favorite series. It's about British secret agents, but it's written by an American.

Comment

Graphic Novels

"Our stores usually carry Sandman, Hellblazer, Transmet and stuff like that too, but those are all published by DC or DC/Vertigo and fall into genre's "adjacent" to superheroes."

Sure, but they were just examples I'm familiar with - I'm a big fan of Vertigo in that era. Spiegelman, Sacco and Clowes don't seem to fall into that category.

Queen & Country is available over here, but I've never read it or heard anyone talk about it.

Comment

Graphic Novels

"Spiegelman, Sacco and Clowes don't seem to fall into that category."

No, and I don't know if every B&N in the US would have those, although they'd probably have Clowes' Ghost World because it was made into a film and possibly Spiegelman's Maus because it got so many positive reviews in the mainstream press.

Queen & Country is fun stuff. I highly recommend it. Rucka has also done two Q&C novels that fit into the ongoing storyline. Both are good page turning yarns.

Rucka says he blatantly ripped off a lot of the ideas for Q&C from a British tv show called The Sandbaggers, which ran for three years in the late 1970s. If you've seen it (I have not) then perhaps you can get an idea of what it's like. It's also a bit like the American show Alias, except better.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I've now read Oldboy and the Israeli Exit Wounds. Oldboy didn't grab me at all. That's probably because I've seen the film but the only thing I liked about the book was reading it Japanese style, i.e. from back cover to front cover, right to left. The content didn't interest me.

Exit Wounds was good but I was slightly disappointed with it - it started very well but tailed off towards the end. Perhaps I was spoiled by the fact the first two stories I read were so good.

Of course, the advantage of the medium is that it only takes about an hour to read a book such as those two.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I've heard nothing but praise for Exit Wounds. It was voted best comic of 2007 by the commenters over at Comics Should Be Good.

Comment

Graphic Novels

It's disappointing how few French comics have been translated into English. As Reed remarked, English language comics are dominated by Superheroes, the French ones are so much more diverse. It's only recently that quality writers like Clowes & Spiegelmann have appeared.

Walk into any half decent bookshop in France or Belgium and you will find racks of stuff - and their artwork is much more diverse as well.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Very true - it's only the kids' stuff that gets translated. All the French adult comics I've read have been in the original.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Not many French comics are translated - nothing like the number of Japanese comics. I have Persepolis, however.

Superheroes aren't dominant in the total number of titles, but they are easier to find. At all of the comics shops I've been too lately, 50%-70% of the rack space will be DC, Marvel, Dark Horse and Image stuff meaning that all the other stuff is underrepresented and not every title that you could conceivably want will be there.

But with the internet, all is possible. Like I said, www.marsimport.com is great. As you may know, the comics retail business in the US (and maybe everywhere) is served almost exclusively by one distributor, Diamond (www.diamondcomics.com), but I think Mars Import gets stuff through other channels because they have stuff from publishers I haven't heard of anywhere else.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I've yet to read Persepolis. Worth picking up?

Comment

Graphic Novels

I've only read the first one. I enjoyed it a lot.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Most of the french-language stuff came out of Belgium, the largest two sources being two periodicals, Tintin and Spirou, which were weeklies directed towards the youth, that featured many serial stories, the flagships of editors Dupuis and Casterman.

Dupuis had Spirou, Johan et Pirlouit (of which the Smurfs were an offshoot), Gaston and dozens of others. Gaston is a remarkable character, a hugely popular strip that featured one-page stories of a goofy office gopher, he is as popular a figure as Asterix in France, Belgium or Holland (where he is known as "Guust"). The strip is a sort of antithesis to Dilbert, featuring a creative, lazy, espadrille and turtleneck-wearing goof-off office hand who livens things up.
                                                    http://www.gastonlagaffe.com/sitefr/gag.php
                                                    http://echbd.free.fr/ECHBD/images/GASTON_01_100.jpg.

Tintin magazine had Herge's namesake character as well as other characters like Lucky Luke, Alix/Lefranc, Quick et Flupke, Tanguy et Laverdure. All of the comics mentioned above would be worthy of long posts, many of those aren't much far behind Tintin or Asterix in terms of quality and style. There are several excellent "smaller" charcters/series that appeared in those magazines, like the outstanding Docteur Poche, a whimsical and sweet character.

A couple of decades ago, the aforementioned two weeklies became less central, as the genre fragmented and became much more adult-oriented, with most coming out from France as opposed to Belgium. One good example along those lines is the duo of Dupuy and Berberian, whose most famous series is Monsieur Jean, stories of a Parisian writer in his thirties:

http://www.drawnandquarterly.com/imagesPreview/a443580561dd85.pdf

the english version is published by Drawn and Quarterly (a terrific name for a terrific publisher based in Montreal.)

Dupuy&Berberian have published a lot of books, including non-graphic novels, books with some illustration. One of their most terrific work is "Bistronomiques", a great book of recipes from their favorite Parisian bistros, which includes lots of drawing and other impressions of the 21st century traditional bistro scene. Highly recommended.

[IMG]br /http://www.duber.net/images/exposition/bistronomiques/bistros12gf.jpg[/IMG]

http://www.duber.net/images/exposition/bistronomiques/bistros5gf.jpg
                                                    http://www.duber.net/images/exposition/bistronomiques/bistros1gf.jpg

They also did a book that came with its own soundtrack CD, "Francoise"

http://www.duber.net/index1.htm

Comment

Working...
                                                    X