Lonely Avenue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lonely Avenue

Even though I remember quite a few people expressing a liking for him on here I'm not sure how this Ben Folds album using Nick Hornby's lyrics is generally being anticipated. Has anyone heard the whole thing yet?

After thinking he'd pretty much lost his way on 'Way To Normal' in an attempt to do something self-conciously "different". I'm glad that what I've heard seems to be Folds returning to what he did best on his previous solo work.

Odd to think that he's handed over to another lyricist, even if it's one that seems to pretty weel in synch with his themes and style.

Lonely Avenue

I dunno, man. I like hearing Ben Folds' piano and voice, but that's to a large degree because I've grown accustomed to liking what he's saying with it. I've never really warmed to Nick Hornby, and that first song about how it sucks to be a writer is worthy of a slap. Some of the other, observational, third-person stuff is quite nice though, and he occasionally shows a knack for the pop lyric. But it just feels weird. When I hear a Ben Folds record, I wanna know what Ben Folds is thinking.

Comment

Lonely Avenue

I would tend to agree with you but given he didn't seem to be saying anything on his last album perhaps he needed some kind of reset and handing his lyrics over to someone he appears to consider a kindred spirit does that.

I'm know what you mean about warming to Hornby but I"ve liked enough of his books to find the idea interesting at least.

Comment

Lonely Avenue

I'm very much a "liked their early stuff" fan of both of these but recent output has found them looking jaded and uninspired.

The prospect of 'Lonely Avenue' didn't set my heart a-flutter (the title itself is horrendously winsome) and a recent studio set and interview with them on Jonathan Ross rather confirmed my worst fears.

It sounded very flat.

Comment

Working...
        X