Property Virgins (for Reed and Inca)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you see last night's? The couple from Philly or Pittsburgh (can't remember which). They wanted to keep their starter home "under $700,000". Nice. And the property taxes of $15,000 a year. WTF? Of course, they settled for the fixer-upper at $560,000.

No, I missed it. I haven't been watching that since I moved because I generally only troll the HD channels and that's not in HD on my crappy cable system. Sounds douchetastic.

They seem to be pushing the House Hunters international, a lot. That doesn't do anything for me because I have no frame of reference.

It was probably Philly. You'd be hard pressed to spend that much in Pittsburgh.

Comment

Well, a "starter home" where I live would be at least $800k. Was it a single family home, or a condo?

Comment

It was one of those leafy suburbs full of featureless McMansions north of the city proper. They'd come from living in some shoebox in Manhattan and decided they needed SPACE. You know...4000 square feet of it.

Comment

Christ, what a bunch of assholes.

Comment

On the downside, she kept going on about school districts.
            On the upside, she didn't mention granite countertops once.
            On the downside, he said "I can see me watching football in here" in that way that you can pretty much imagine him doing.

Comment

I looked on the hgtv site to see if I could identify that episode, but I couldn't. Are you sure it was Property Virgins and not one of the other 20 shows that are basically the same?

It was probably Philly, but for $700,000 in Bucks County, you could get something tasteful and 19th or 18th century. But not 4000 sq feet of tasteful and old. North of Pittsburgh in Beaver County, $700,000 might get you something close to an actual mansion, not just a McMansion. Or, for that much, you could get a sweet condo or townhouse in Mount Washington in Pittsburgh where you can see the whole city.

I've seen several of those episodes where the people start off saying they want to live near the city, but of course they want a massive fuck-off kitchen with granite counters, they don't want to be able to see their neighbors, um, ever, apparently, they want three bedrooms, and they never want to hear traffic outside their windows, and, of course, their assumptions about how much everything costs is low by about $300k. So they end up moving at least an hours drive away from where they were looking initially.

Comment

Christ, what a bunch of assholes.
                A friend of mine in Boston who is planning to move soon said she really wanted to get on one of those shows so that she and her husband could really "douche it up." But then she found out the people who appear only get like $100 or something like that. Not worth the effort for anyone not really, really, really keen to show what kind of materialistic douchebags they are.

I may have mentioned this before, but that same friend of mine has a fantastic idea for an HGTV show. Find couples who are separated and then follow the process as they have to fix up their house to sell (or short-sell) so they can split it up and get divorced. That would be fantastic tv. Really get to the essence of what makes those shows entertaining.

My friends just bought a short-sale place like that in Downingtown, PA (in there defense, they have no pretense of living near Philly. Their jobs are nearby). The couple left all kinds of stuff in the house, including her wedding dress. Like an angry ghost. They got a really good deal on it, but buying a short sale is a pain in the ass because you never know when or if it's going to close.

Comment

Reed John wrote:
                  I looked on the hgtv site to see if I could identify that episode, but I couldn't. Are you sure it was Property Virgins and not one of the other 20 shows that are basically the same?
                  I'm pretty sure the couple is Amy & Jason. And yeah, I know Sandra when I see her.

Comment

Reed John wrote:
                    They got a really good deal on it, but buying a short sale is a pain in the ass because you never know when or if it's going to close.
                    Last night's was a short sell. It was worth @ $765,000, but they got it for around $200,000 less because it was really neglected. Sandra cautioned them that it would take forever to close, and it ended up taking something like 76 days after both the owner and the bank had agreed to the sale. They went through hell waiting.

Comment

Reed John wrote:
                      A friend of mine in Boston who is planning to move soon said she really wanted to get on one of those shows so that she and her husband could really "douche it up." But then she found out the people who appear only get like $100 or something like that.
                      People on "My First Place" get a housewarming gift from HGTV. It's usually an ugly dining room set, but sometimes it's a HDTV. You always know what it's going to be, because it's something they mention wanting at the beginning of the episode.

WOM wrote:
                      And yeah, I know Sandra when I see her.
                      Me too. Phwoar.

Comment

According to the site, "Amy & Jason" were looking in Florida, which is also awful.

Comment

Could be Ashley & Brad, then. I'm all confused...or drunk...or something.

One of the housewarming gifts [on MFP] was a complete kitchen gut a couple of weeks ago. They really pulled out the stops on that one. Producer's daughter, I suspect.

Comment

Yes, that's it. Ashley and Brad. They're looking in Princeton, NJ, which is about halfway between NYC and Philadelphia and somewhat posh.

http://www.hgtv.com/property-virgins/at-home-in-princeton/index.html

Comment

Bingo. That's them. Well done, man. Have a Yeungling and put it on my tab.

Comment

Working...
                              X