Higgins..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Higgins..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tmzfb/b00tmzdw/Alex_Higgins_The_Peoples_Champion/

Just watched the documentary on Alex Higgins - fascinating, seeing as I never saw him play live.
    Just a quick question, does anyone know the song used at the very start? It crops up all the time, and is bugging me...

Higgins..

So this thread isn't about John Hillerman's character in Magnum, PI and other great personal assistants/valets/majordomos in film and TV?

Comment

Higgins..

StanBowles wrote:
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tmzfb/b00tmzdw/Alex_Higgins_The_Peoples_Champion/

Just watched the documentary on Alex Higgins - fascinating, seeing as I never saw him play live.
      Just a quick question, does anyone know the song used at the very start? It crops up all the time, and is bugging me...
      No idea about the song, sorry.

I'm old enough to remember Higgins very well; his second World Championship in particular. People often idly compare him with O'Sullivan, because they're both troubled and they're both anti-authority and they're both "entertainers". But they couldn't have been more different as players. When he's on song, O'Sullivan's control of the cue ball is so astonishing that he's basically unbeatable. His safetly play is also superb. He loses because, if you like, that O'Sullivan doesn't always turn up. Whereas Higgins was usually all over the place with the cue ball, and had to work constantly at his safety game, so even when he was playing at his thrilling best, his opponent always had a chance to get back in the game.

Comment

Higgins..

He was an excellent safety player by the time he won in 1982, and acknowledged as such. Someone like Tony Knowles, now he could pot but couldn't play safe. Same with Jimmy White early in his career. Higgins' problem was with showboating.

The linking of two swift but troubled players is indeed lazy. O'Sullivan's bad stuff is nowhere near what Higgins did. Very unfair on him to be spoken of in the same breath as Higgins.

Comment

Working...
        X