Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you never listen to the radio again all year..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...you really must listen to Mark Kermode's review of 'Dinner For Schmucks' that has just been on 5Live.

It'll be on iPlayer.

Edit - should have been in 'Film' but never mind.

For some reason the show is currently unavailable on the iplayer. Spooky. Did Kermode say anything particularly controversial?

Comment

It's on here. Join it at 1 hour 21 minutes to get straight to the review.

Comment

axel wrote:
        For some reason the show is currently unavailable on the iplayer. Spooky. Did Kermode say anything particularly controversial?
        Kermode's second to last line was outstanding, I'm not going to spoil it for everyone, you just have to listen. Thanks for the heads up Tony.

Comment

Why is this in 'Music' then?

Comment

I made a mistake, Harry, which I acknowledged in my original post.

Comment

Oh yeah, duh! I had a confusing 10 minutes looking for it again in Film this afternoon once I had iPlayer access. Sorry.

Comment

Absolutely excellent. This is why Kermode is at the top of the game.

The poster for Dinner For Schmucks has been upsetting me for a few weeks (two guys, neither of them famous in Britain, doing that "normal guy with wacky guy" pose, in a desperate, pleading, please-please-find-me-funny way), so it's gratifying to hear it thoroughly nailed like this.

By the way, "Le Dīner De Cons" doesn't translate either as "Dinner Games" or "Dinner For Fools", but strictly-speaking means "Dinner For Cunts", although "fools" is closer, as the French words con/connard/conasse aren't as rude in French as the equivalents would be in English.

Comment

"Do you know when you can smell how bad a flim is?"

I just listened to this again for the first time since Friday and I got to laugh at that magnificent observation all over again.

Rather like many posters on otf, probably, I listen to a lot of presenters on radio and truly believe in my mind that I could do a lot better if i was put in front of a microphone. A conceit,I'm sure, but I always imagine that my questioning would be more probing, my wit more incisive and my personality more cordial than a great percentage of those that I listen to on the airwaves.

But when you hear really great presenters (Kermode, Danny Baker) on a roll in a medium that truly suits their skills then you have to rethink.

I'd probably hate 'Dinner For Schmucks', too, but I doubt I could verbalise my vitriol like that. As an unscripted rant, that was superb.

Comment

Kermode continues to be good at reviewing but the new (well newer, it's been a few months now) format of the show is far too bloated. Kermode and guests just doesn't work for me unless the guest happens to be very good.

Comment

As for the film, Le Dīner De Cons wasn't much cop so I have no desire to see the remake.

Comment

Working...
                      X