National Treasures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Treasures

A friend of mine comes from the same part of Norfolk as Fry. I am assured Fry is every bit as nice as his public image.

Comment

National Treasures

Disco Sea Shanties wrote:
      One bad thing about Iannucci is that he backed the LibDems in the last election.
      God, you've never got over 2005, have you?

I backed them in the 1992 election. In Cheltenham.

Comment

National Treasures

I would probably come to blows with our Dave, on account of his bizarre belief in the Yeti/Bigfoot.
        Why on earth would you do that?!* Sir David is an extremely respected naturalist for one thing, and all he said was the evidence is very convincing. And he was talking specifically about the Yeti wasn't he, rather than Bigfoot. And anyway such a belief is not harmful, is it?

* I realise the blows are not meant to be literal

Comment

National Treasures

Lyra wrote:
          Why on earth would you do that?!* Sir David is an extremely respected naturalist for one thing, and all he said was the evidence is very convincing. And he was talking specifically about the Yeti wasn't he, rather than Bigfoot. And anyway such a belief is not harmful, is it?

* I realise the blows are not meant to be literal
          The evidence for Bigfoot is about as convincing as the evidence for angels, crop circles and alien abduction.

For all his credentials, Attenborough isn't involved in active research. It's reminiscent of John Mack, the Pulitzer prize-winning Harvard author and psychiatrist, who writes books lending credence to alien abduction. His whole justification is that he'd spoke to so many alleged abductees that there must be something in it.

Comment

National Treasures

Might want to re-read what Lyra wrote, there, Stumpy.

Comment

National Treasures

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying we should induldge Dave's odd beliefs in the Yeti/Sasquatch/Bigfoot/Abominable Snowman* because he's a nice bloke and isn't doing anyone any harm?

*Sorry, my knowledge of cryptozoology isn't extensive

Comment

National Treasures

I believe Lyra's point is that Yeti and Bigfoot aren't the same thing (ie their purported locations are totally different).

I'd think there'd be much more chance of some unconfirmed species existing in the Himalaya than in the Appalachians, given the differences in size and population of the geographical regions in question, wouldn't there?

I'm not saying I believe in either, by the way.

Comment

National Treasures

As far as I'm concerned, it's like debating whether the little magic man who lives at the end of the garden is a gnome or a leprechaun.

Comment

National Treasures

He's a goblin, or an elf.

If national treasure means something everyone likes then the Elgin Marbles has never really been that. Byron and a few others were not keen from the word go. And that was before John Berger had come along.

Comment

National Treasures

I'd think there'd be much more chance of some unconfirmed species existing in the Himalaya than in the Appalachians, given the differences in size and population of the geographical regions in question, wouldn't there?

Sasquatch/Bigfoot lives (or not) more in this neck of the woods than the Appalachians. And as far as space and population go, even after 35 years when I fly over this province I am still in awe at its size and emptiness (humanwise that is.)

As an example in 1949, on the North Shore mountains which I can see from my window and are maybe ten miles away, a plane crashed. The wreckage wasn't found until the early nineties. If a plane can disappear for fifty years within the sight, and convenient recreational possibilities, of 2 million people then I think many other things could too. In short I believe it's very unlikely that a large undiscovered mammal lives in this vicinity but not because the terrain wouldn't allow it. I think the stories exist precisely because it would.

If national treasure means something everyone likes then the Elgin Marbles has never really been that.

Even if you're Greek?

Comment

National Treasures

Cilla Black
                        Thatcherite.

Comment

National Treasures

And a tight cow, she'd go round bagging up the leftover sandwiches and booze at showbiz functions to take home to eat.

Comment

National Treasures

Jim Broadbent. Been there, done that, worked with the best and rarely dips below a fine quality level.

Comment

National Treasures

If it's 'jolly good actors' you're after, then...

Brian Cox
                              Tom Bell

Not sure what they are/were like as people, though.

(Tom Bell used to come in the public library where I worked. He seemed like a very nice chap.)

Comment

National Treasures

Is Mr Rogers this guy? What's the haps with him?

I know a preposterously malignant story about Rolf that is, I’m sure, as we used to say at school, hubba.

Comment

National Treasures

If national treasure means something everyone likes then the Elgin Marbles has never really been that.

Even if you're Greek?
                                  They were quite tied up with the politics of the time, weren't they? Must have been a few opponents then.

Later though, probably most people did like them. Certainly after we pinched them.

Comment

National Treasures

Stumpy Pepys wrote:
                                    I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you saying we should induldge Dave's odd beliefs in the Yeti/Sasquatch/Bigfoot/Abominable Snowman* because he's a nice bloke and isn't doing anyone any harm?

*Sorry, my knowledge of cryptozoology isn't extensive
                                    Perhaps you could indulge Dave's odd beliefs because they don't do anyone any harm. Either way, this is more than outweighed by his 55+ years bringing the natural world into the living rooms of the British public and many more beyond these shores, as a result making us all far more aware of the world around us and what a fucking mess we make of it.

Comment

National Treasures

Oh yeah, John Craven.

Comment

National Treasures

An old friend of mine was once briefly in a relationship with John Craven's daughter. On one weekend spent at their place, he was paired up with Craven senior in a Sunday lunchtime pub quiz. They lost - quite badly.

Most disappointing!

Comment

Working...
                                        X