• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do not feed the poor.

Comment

El Cajon is a profoundly strange place

Comment

The city limits of El Cajon are about a quarter of a mile from me. It's not normally a very weird place: it's a typical California suburb-city that's not on the coast. Poorer than it's main city, but with a high minority population because it's affordable (mostly hispanic and middle eastern - it has a very big Chaldean community). But also, because you're further from the coast, more Republican nutters. Which means you have a mostly Republican government, Duncan Hunter as Representative, and so on. Which, I guess, is how you end up with an arsehole council behaving like this.
        Last edited by San Bernardhinault; 16-01-2018, 15:45.

Comment

The fact that you don’t find that context to be profoundly strange says something . . .

Comment

If you want weird not far from us, the story out of Perris is absolutely bonkers, and horrifying. (And Perris genuinely is a profoundly strange place).

Comment

I will admit to not having known where Perris was.

Aeronautical engineers are responsible for a lot of the political nonsense that plagues California, and have been since Reagan.

Comment

This whole Tide pod eating fad/challenge/meme. Seriously, WTF? At least cinammon is food.

Comment

Only one word for these people...

Comment

WHAT??

https://twitter.com/MattTurnerSheff/...49924557639680

This is insane!

Comment

Apparently friends and family speeding ticket benefits for cops are totally institutionalised in NYC, to the extent that cops are complaining that their quota is being cut back.

Comment

*cough* Levin. <nods upward>

Comment

D'oh, sorry.

Comment

I'm surprised that people are surprised by this, but then I would be, given that it has been part of life here forever.

Comment

I'm surprised that it's survived so long. I mean, it's not like an old Irish beat cop stealing an apple off a cart. It's almost like there's a Department of Internal Corruption in charge of it.

Comment

Not surprised that it happens. Surprised that they're this brazen about it. I assumed it was more a nod and a wink kind of thing.

Comment

WOM, it's called the NYPD

GY, the city is too big for it to be informal, and the single most frequent use for these things are to get people out of tickets for parking illegally, which requires some sort of "official" demonstration of affiliation.

It's worth noting that they aren't completely effective as Get Out of Jail Free cards. If a holder shoots someone, he's going to get arrested.
                                  Last edited by ursus arctos; 23-01-2018, 14:28.

Comment

When you donated to the Toronto police union charity back in the day, you got a Gold, Silver or Bronze 'badge' sticker that you stuck on the lower corner of your car's front window to avoid parking and speeding tickets. They finally killed that after an outcry, but that was maybe fifteen years ago.

Comment

My ex-brother-in-common-law, who was a cop in california told me that there you just have your driving licence in the same mini wallet as your police id when you showed your licence after being pulled over, there would be the badge and you'd get a "All seems to be in order. Have a nice day"

Comment

These are ones the cops can hand out to other people though (20 a cop!).

Comment

Yes, that's the significant difference.

Worth noting that it is a reduction from 30 each to 20 that has them up in arms.

Comment

The quotes are really the best:

“They are treating active members like s–t, and retired members even worse than s–t,” griped an NYPD cop who retired on disability. “All the cops I spoke to were . . . very disappointed they couldn’t hand them out as Christmas gifts.”

Comment

12 camels disqualified from Saudi beauty contest in Botox row

Comment

"Fulsome snouts "

Comment

"Nutella Riots" erupt across France.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42826028

Comment

Working...
                                                  X