No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was down a wikihole, (day night cricket > super tests > drop in pitches) when I came across this.

"Plans to use drop-in pitches in baseball parks in the United States have met with problems due to strict rules about transporting soil over state lines. It has been found that the best soil types for drop-in pitches are not located in the same states which have been targeted by cricketing authorities—New York, California and Florida."

That can't be true can it?

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
      I was down a wikihole, (day night cricket > super tests > drop in pitches) when I came across this.

"Plans to use drop-in pitches in baseball parks in the United States have met with problems due to strict rules about transporting soil over state lines. It has been found that the best soil types for drop-in pitches are not located in the same states which have been targeted by cricketing authorities—New York, California and Florida."

That can't be true can it?
      It was plan b or c for going after Al Capone if the tax thing hadn't worked out.

Comment

There's a direct train service from Bournemouth to Manchester? Nice. I love these random cross-country routes, the more the better.

Comment

Not just the "Nasty Party"

The insensitive and crass party

http://www.examiner.co.uk/news/west-...oking-13991709

Comment

Who says local journalism has been affected by cutbacks?

Comment

Excellent. The Toronto Star (IIRC) ran a photo years ago of some young black kids dancing with "yo yo yo some rap shit caption goes here".

Comment

Today, in an article on the Dr Boucher / Dr (Rand) Paul feud that lead to the tackle/assault, Boucher is referred to as 'a retired anestheologist'.
                Is that a guy who puts you to sleep by taking about religion?

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                  Who says local journalism has been affected by cutbacks?

Out of interest, do we know if the sales figures were affected by this? I have a sneaky suspicion, especially in a studenty town such as Cambridge, that they probably went up. I'd have been more likely to buy it, for one.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...into-microwave

The 22-year-old and a group of friends mixed seven bags of Polyfilla before pouring it around his head, which was protected by a plastic bag inside the appliance.
                    SEVEN bags of Polyfilla.

Comment

Yeah. I mean everyone knows that Polyfilla's way too crumbly to use for casting purposes.

Darwin Awards season again is it?

Comment

'As funny as this sounds ...'

No, it doesn't sound at all funny. Just because you're one of the rescue team doesn't mean you have to be polite to them*. It sounds incredibly unfunny, and also like one of the most monumentally fucking stupid things I've ever heard of someone doing voluntarily. What exactly were they expecting to happen? For the guy to die? Hilarious.

*I mean, it probably does mean that, really, but ...

Comment

Look, it was Ladz making a YouTube video so it must have been a good idea.

Comment

Comment

jesus was a black man
                              no, jesus was batman
                              no, no, no, no, wait, that was bruce wayne

Comment

Surgeon admits marking his initials on the livers of two patients

Comment

Antoine Griezmann decides that blacking up is a great idea. In 2017.

Predictably, all the morons are out defending his right to be an ignorant fucking idiot, whilst calling everyone who disagrees "snowflakes". Seriously, if you don't know why blackface is a disgraceful thing to do, then get straight in the fucking bin with Jim Davidson and Chubby Brown.

Fucks sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                    Antoine Griezmann decides that blacking up is a great idea. In 2017.

Predictably, all the morons are out defending his right to be an ignorant fucking idiot, whilst calling everyone who disagrees "snowflakes". Seriously, if you don't know why blackface is a disgraceful thing to do, then get straight in the fucking bin with Jim Davidson and Chubby Brown.

Fucks sake.
                                    One of our own lays into Patrick Barclay for his actions in what seems to have been blackface weekend http://twohundredpercent.net/patrick...itter-bad-day/

Comment

Well said.

Comment

Great article but needs better editing for typos.

Comment

As League of Gentlemen is being revived, this seems like as good a place as any to ask where we stand with Papa Lazarou.

Comment

Or indeed Joni Mitchell:

Comment

Papa Lazarou is a grotesque, and a parody of a clown. It remains problematic, but then I've never found The League of Gentlemen funny. Ask Reece Shearsmith what his thinking was, but I don't imagine for a minute he was impersonating a black person.

Joni Mitchell there has dressed up as a black person and should have known better. It's an easy one, really:

If you, as a white person, think you should black up, then you're wrong.
                                              Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 18-12-2017, 21:20.

Comment

Thing is, almost no one recognised she wasn't a black man. On the album cover Don Juan's Reckless Daughter, even her then boyfriend, J.D. Souther, didn't realise it was her. She'd dress up as "Art Nouveau" or "Claude the Pimp" once in a while, initially as a "fuck you" to Joan Baez who'd publicly said "Joni can't do black." But for a few years the character became a kind of alter ego, and later a genuine disguise when she was dating Don Alias. It enabled them both to go into black clubs in NY without drawing the kind of attention a large black man and a small white woman would ordinarily get. Should she have done it? Opinions differ. Colleague and friend Chaka Khan, who was a member of the Black Panthers as a teenager, says "I loved the cover of [the album.] She's into color, she's a world of person, and she lived that, she sang that, she is that... You know what? She doesn't care about the social crap. She cuts through all that, and that's what I love about her." She wasn't the only one to come to her defence, black journalist Greg Tate wrote a poem "How Black Is Joni Mitchell?" for her honorary doctorate ceremony. Biographer, David Yaffe says "Maybe Joni should have worried about how her alter ego would be perceived. But she wasn't. She never doubted that people — black and white — would 'get it.' And just as likely, she didn't care."
                                                Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 18-12-2017, 21:58.

Comment

OK. We'll take Joni's blacking up in the time and circumstance. Does that still hold water in 2017? Is Antoine Griezmann making a social point, or trying to blend into an otherwise potentially closed scene?

No. He's an idiot. As are others who would reduce black voices, opinions and lives to "hey, it's a joke, right?"

Plus I know we're on the same page, so yeah.
                                                  Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 18-12-2017, 22:09.

Comment

Agreed, it's a matter why, when and how it's done.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X