No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think I want to know what you can smell.

Comment

Rhodri Colwyn Philipps aka Viscount St Davids is also "Baron Strange de Knockin."

You just couldn't make it up!

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
        Rhodri Colwyn Philipps aka Viscount St Davids is also "Baron Strange de Knockin."

You just couldn't make it up!
        To be fair, Cornwall does have a cool flag.

Comment

Today in retail investment WTF, courtesy of Matt Levine as usual:
          Ingmar Bueb, a 48-year-old opera singer, invested $220,000 in DryShips over the years, the bulk of his nest egg. The High Bridge, N.J., resident had hoped to use the profits from this long-term holding to build a small opera house, he said.
          What the fuck is wrong with people?

Comment

Man locked in ATM issues receipts as rescue me notes

Comment

LA Times story on the former USC Dean of Medicine:

In USC’s lecture halls, labs and executive offices, Dr. Carmen A. Puliafito was a towering figure. The dean of the Keck School of Medicine was a renowned eye surgeon whose skill in the operating room was matched by a gift for attracting money and talent to the university.

There was another side to the Harvard-educated physician.

During his tenure as dean, Puliafito kept company with a circle of criminals and drug users who said he used methamphetamine and other drugs with them, a Los Angeles Times investigation found.

Puliafito, 66, and these much younger acquaintances captured their exploits in photos and videos. The Times reviewed dozens of the images.

Shot in 2015 and 2016, they show Puliafito and the others partying in hotel rooms, cars, apartments and the dean’s office at USC.

In one video, a tuxedo-clad Puliafito displays an orange pill on his tongue and says into the camera, “Thought I’d take an ecstasy before the ball.” Then he swallows the pill.

In another, Puliafito uses a butane torch to heat a large glass pipe outfitted for methamphetamine use. He inhales and then unleashes a thick plume of white smoke. Seated next to him on a sofa, a young woman smokes heroin from a piece of heated foil.

As dean, Puliafito oversaw hundreds of medical students, thousands of professors and clinicians, and research grants totaling more than $200 million. He was a key fundraiser for USC, bringing in more than $1 billion in donations, by his estimation.

Puliafito resigned his $1.1-million-a-year post in March 2016, in the middle of the spring term, saying he wanted to explore outside opportunities.

Three weeks earlier, a 21-year-old woman had overdosed in his presence in a Pasadena hotel room. The woman was rushed to a hospital, where she recovered. Police found methamphetamine in the hotel room, according to a police report, but made no arrests. Puliafito has never spoken publicly about the incident, which is being reported here for the first time.

Comment

Let's just do it and be legends, man

Comment

That was quite something. Must have the heart of an ox.

Comment

A good friend of mine is an ophthalmologist, he's stunned by this because the guy is an extremely well-known researcher that's contributed a lot to the field.

Comment

Ben Carson is also a talented surgeon and a loon.

Comment

Carson is definitely not on meth but. I'd pay to see it though.

Comment

You put your left lens in,
                          you take your... oh wait!

Comment

I do not wear contact lenses, but how is it possible to forget to take them out on that regular a basis - and in only one eye?

Comment

They were monthlies, and she has cataracts, but I'm quite sure the patient has a number of other issues.

Comment

A world ruled by robots - the latest setback:

Comment

It's no ED-209.

Comment

As there's no dedicated "wft" football thread -

https://twitter.com/Profitacca/statu...93756843724800

Comment

Your One plus Five phone may have a bug that causes it to reboot when you attempt to call 911 or 999 or 112

Comment

Please don't kill each other, we're asking nicely

Comment

Swiss citizenship laws are apparently so strict that one woman has been turned down despite having lived there her whole life and having been born there. The headline says 'lifelong resident', but when I clicked this I just assumed she'd at least have been taken there as a very very small baby, or something. How the fuck is someone born in a country counted as a 'foreign resident' and not considered eligible for citizenship?

Comment

Quite a few countries still follow a strict form of Jus Sanguinis (as opposed to Jus Soli)

Comment

Indeed, but the idea that someone can be born in a country to parents who are (I'm guessing, since the article doesn't say otherwise) living there legally, and that that person isn't automatically a citizen, just seems bizarre to me. And that's before we get to the reasons given for rejecting her application.

Here, if you're born in Argentina you're Argentine - and not only that, but if you're born in Argentina and one or both of your parents are foreign, whether or not they came here and are living here legally, your parent(s) immediately become eligible for Argentine citizenship as well, by virtue of having a child who is Argentine. I realise this is the kind of thing a country can afford to do when it's about the same size as India with about the same population as California, but still. The Swiss thing is completely ridiculous. If that woman's parents were from a country which didn't recognise foreign-born children of its citizens, she'd be stateless for no good reason at all.

Comment

Switzerland does have notoriously strict laws on citizenship and residency. It's extremely difficult to get any form of residency permit there wherever you're from (a lot of Portuguese people work there for example, and are forced to take a month's holiday every summer in which they must leave the country in order to ensure that they can't claim to have been permanently in Switzerland for an extended period)

This woman, however, presumably has a passport (I'm guessing a Turkish one), because she must have travelled outside Switzerland once in a while (it is a small landlocked country after all), so perhaps that;s why she has to apply for Swiss citizenship (she is not stateless). Perhaps if she (or her parents) had chosen to apply for a Swiss passport when she first needed one, things might have been easier. (Or perhaps not)

(I mean you're right, that it should be automatic, but it's not that surprising that it;s not. It's the questions she was asked and the interpretation of her answers which are the most bizarre part of the story)

Comment

The pinkification of Women's... beer drinking??

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                                    X