• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

It's a pretty state.

With a lot of good photographers.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

The Claremont Colleges (of which Harvey Mudd is one) are all beautiful, for the most part (not everyone likes the more modernist architecture of HMC or Claremont McKenna). It's just too bad that they're out in Claremont.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Well, it's admittedly more lovely when it's not in the middle of a Stage 2 Smog Alert and you can't see (or walk quickly) all the way across the campus -- although, to be fair, those have become fairly rare i think.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
          Never heard of HMC. But, having now checked them out, is there such thing as a college campus in California that doesn't look lovely?
          Cal State Fullerton isn't particularly picturesque.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

alyxandr wrote:
            Well, it's admittedly more lovely when it's not in the middle of a Stage 2 Smog Alert and you can't see (or walk quickly) all the way across the campus -- although, to be fair, those have become fairly rare i think.
            True. I was thinking of it being typically 15 degrees hotter there than in the LA basin. The proximity to the Donut Man is a big plus, though.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

The proximity to the Donut Man is a big plus
              Did that used to be called Foster's? Open 24 hours? Man, there's nothing better than a fresh raised glazed at three in the morning to break up a drab, wretched life of studying.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Not sure what it used to be called, but the place I'm thinking of is in Glendora, and yes, open 24 hours. It's the place that does the fresh strawberries and peaches on the glazed donuts. Amazing.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

A friend of mine is a prof at Scripps College and it looks particularly lovely.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Incandenza wrote:
                    No, but it has palm trees, a temperate climate, and they don't have to drain the water features for 8 months of the year.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Incandenza wrote:
                      Worn Old Motorbike wrote:
                      Never heard of HMC. But, having now checked them out, is there such thing as a college campus in California that doesn't look lovely?
                      Or Cal State Dominguez Hills (conveniently located next to the Home Depot Center!).

Comment

The WTF? Thread

The Scripps Institute, which is on the Pacific in La Jolla Shores, makes Scripps College look poorly situated.

These beauties are from the Donut Man:

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I can confirm that Claremont is a few square miles of lovely surrounded by a lot of brown nothing.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Those are doughnuts?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

In the sense that they share a number of ingredients and are distributed by a company with the word "donut" in its name, yes. Otherwise, no.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Given the wide variety of baked goods marketed as doughnuts or donuts in this country, I don't have any problem with the strawberry extravaganza. I'd certainly prefer it to these things:

Comment

The WTF? Thread

One should never patronize a business with 'Time' in their name. Based on a focus group of one, nothing good will come of it.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

They are glazed donuts that have been cut in half.

The peach ones are even better, I think. Hard to justify a drive to Glendora from the westside just for those, though.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

How far do you live from the ocean?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

About 2.5 miles. It's 42 miles from my house to the Donut Man.

Not really WTF worthy, but more "what?": a young Donald Rumsfeld appears on the wrapper of a spicy peanuts package in the UK.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Proposed residential towers in Seoul ape World Trade Center under attack.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

1st reaction: Stay classy, Korea. First the short-track-speedskating goal celebration, and now this. Nice.

2nd: But that actually looks pretty damn cool. I mean, i'd live there.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

alyxandr wrote:
                                              First the short-track-speedskating goal celebration, and now this...
                                              Eh?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I actually thought the speedskating goal celebration (2002 World Cup, a South Korean player imitated a speed skater after scoring the equalizer against the U.S., in reference to a short track speed skating race in the recent Olympics won by the U.S., unfairly according to the defeated South Koreans) was funny, but point taken.

The building is actually really cool looking, except for the fact that it makes you think of 9/11 every time you look at it.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Renart wrote:
                                                  I actually thought [it] was funny, but point taken
                                                  So did i, not entirely serious there

except for the fact that it makes you think of 9/11 every time you look at it
                                                  But if you lived in it, no worries. Except you'd be looking out at that wavy building to the left, and thinking you were hungover, even when you weren't.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

The Mayor of San Juan, Puerto Rico has a rather amazing Christmas card.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X