The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

An early and local WFT moment that still had me wondering whether science education in the West Midlands had been completely eradicated from the curriculum, and, more importantly, what were they thinking?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Oh, Kentucky...

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I like the fact that the banner ad is "FEED YOUR GAME FACE".

Comment

The WTF? Thread

There are some wonderful juxtapositions that you miss with Ad-Block Plus.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I'm getting Amish furniture ads. One says "Wow. We didn't know the Amish made furniture like this." with a picture of the of the sort of furniture that everyone thinks the Amish make.

The line would have worked better with a Noguchi table.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

The legal reasoning is pretty spectacular; her right to free speech is not being impaired because as a cheerleader she occupies a special "mouthpiece" role requiring her to put forward the school's speech on exclusively sporting matters. I shit you not.
              I actually thin that logic is sound. It's not a free speech question. If somebody wants to be a cheeleader, they have to do the cheers properly. That's just what it is. Just like, the band can kick you out if you refuse to play the right notes.

That's not the problem. The problem is that this guy was convicted of something (the article doesn't say, but i'm assuming it was some kind of indecent assault or public indecency) so in the eyes of the law, he did in fact do something awful to her, even if the law won't accept that it was rape. So it should recognize that she's the victim of a crime and thus to force her cheer for him - the fact that she still wants to be in the same building as him is already a huge concession on her part - seems like a kind of institutional harassment or discrimination or just bad educating or something that could be sued for.

Of course, the bigger issue is that another star athlete probably got away with rape. So there's that too.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Phil Collins' "life revolves around the Alamo".

Comment

The WTF? Thread

That was in May, I see. I wonder how it all went? Did he, as was suggested, lead off with the drum fill from In the Air Tonight?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

French village wants army to keep apocalyptic UFO weirdos away.

What it says on the tin.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

From Joshua Bearman's blog:

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Giant all-female fight at a Florida gas station. Warning: there is brief nudity in the video from clothes being ripped off.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

In this days of gun crime in America, it's refreshing to see a good old-fashioned Limey-style evening's punch-up. We're not so different after all, our two nations.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Wow - it's just like an old episode of Batman - all one-on-one fights.

Superb.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Seems that there is market for DVDs of this kind of thing over there.

I'll have my people talk to your people.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Georgia out of my mind.

A state lawmaker from Marietta is sponsoring a bill that seeks to do away with Georgia driver's licenses.

State Rep. Bobby Franklin, R-Marietta, has filed House Bill 7, calling it the "Right to Travel Act."

In his bill, Franklin states, "Free people have a common law and constitutional right to travel on the roads and highways that are provided by their government for that purpose. Licensing of drivers cannot be required of free people, because taking on the restrictions of a license requires the surrender of an inalienable right."

Franklin told CBS Atlanta News that driver's licenses are a throw back to oppressive times. “Agents of the state demanding your papers," he said. "We’re getting that way here.”

. . .

Franklin’s name is on the first 21 bills of the legislative session, including one that would require the exclusive use of gold and silver as tender in payment of debts by or to the state, as required in the Georgia Constitution.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Texas is seriously effed up.

From his office window, Steve Williams surveyed the chaos of construction. His view consisted of rocks and dirt beneath bulldozers and cranes, but where others might see excess, he saw something brazen, bold and gloriously Texan.

Allen High School, which won its first Texas state title under Coach Tom Westerberg in 2008, is building a $60 million, 18,000-seat football stadium.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

It's hard to know what to say to that.

"From little kids all the way to the Super Bowl, we do football right."
                                    As opposed to doing it wrong. Which would be ... what?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

If they can draw 18000, then more power to them. Maybe it will ultimately pay for itself.

High school football is a fun community event, especially if you know somebody on the team or the band or cheerleaders. But I suspect a large portion of those 18000 attend because they deeply care about the outcome and think winning football games should be an important priority for kids.

I understand why small towns, especially shrinking towns, see the school and it's sports as one of the last vestiges of its identity. But this town is, by all accounts, a wealthy and growing suburb. It's pursuing championships just because it can.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

"Its" Reed, "its". Head in the game here.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Reed, it is costing 60 million dollars (before the inevitable overruns). They would need Jones/Snyder like prices to make even some of it back.

And even if it broke even, it is an obscene waste of resources.

In a soulless "edge suburb" with no history in a state that wants to ban the teaching of evolution.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I haven't been able to find the interest rate on the bonds, but it's got to add up to a hefty amount of cashflow, especially considering that they actually raised $119m to fund a larger complex including the stadium. And, like most Texas districts, Allen faces a massive cut in state funding. The debt service is supposedly separate from the operational budget of the district, but at the end of the day they can only raise so much tax (legally as well as politically - according to the article the maximum increase is less than half the shortfall).

Comment

The WTF? Thread

They seem to be taking their cues from Glendale, Arizona.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

You got rich...how?

(Photo tour at bottom.)

Comment

The WTF? Thread

That piece made my day.

And got ursus minor's attention (he's an order of magnitude stronger than his parents in math).

More photos here.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

South Dakota Republicans try to legalize the murder of abortion providers.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X