No announcement yet.

The WTF? Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apologies if we've done this, but here's the legal case of the century.

Comment

Forfeiture cases are the best

Comment

Is that the Hobby Lobby one?

Comment

Indeed it is.

Comment

Can you help us out with a tiny bit of detail?

Comment

Ah, sorry.

I've mentioned these before on here, but it was years ago.

When the Federal Government is seeking the forfeiture of ill-gotten gain, be it monetary or material, the case in Federal court is styled as "United States vs [Description of Stuff]. A particular favourite of mine is United States v. Article Consisting of 50,000 Cardboard Boxes More or Less, Each Containing One Pair of Clacker Balls

In the cuneiform tablets case, the fundamentalist zealots who own Hobby Lobby (a chain of craft stores) conspired with unscrupulous dealers to smuggle industrial quantities of archaeological artifacts out of the Middle East for their own collection and the "Bible Museum" they are building in Washington. They settled the matter by forfeiting the artifacts and paying a fine of USD 3 million.
              Last edited by ursus arctos; 11-12-2018, 13:24.

Comment

I popped into one on a lark last year in Florida. It's a creepy experience. Instead of the standard "Live, Love, Laugh" type crap you typically find in mass-market home decor stores, you get an astounding variety of "The Lord is my shepherd" and "He that dwelleth..." type foofaraw. Good prices on stained glass, mind, as you'd expect.

Comment

For a second I thought you had joined the geriatrics observing a civil forfeiture case, which would be weird even for you.

Comment

It would be, but not far off. My dad's cousin has spent the past 20+ years of his retirement at Old City Hall court watching bog-standard civil and low-level criminal proceedings.

Comment

"Court buffs" are an interesting breed.

A number of them could be more effective advocates than many of the lawyers they observe, though there is no way they could cope with the case load.

Comment

Toronto also has a small but tight BG (movie extra) community comprised of retirees who get a fat per-diem for filling court rooms and whatever else needs dressing for movies and TV.

Comment

My entirely anecdotal experience of such communities has found that they are often comprised of individuals who cannot stand spending an entire day with their partners (an antipathy that is often mutual).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            Ah, sorry.

I've mentioned these before on here, but it was years ago.

When the Federal Government is seeking the forfeiture of ill-gotten gain, be it monetary or material, the case in Federal court is styled as "United States vs [Description of Stuff]. A particular favourite of mine is United States v. Article Consisting of 50,000 Cardboard Boxes More or Less, Each Containing One Pair of Clacker Balls

In the cuneiform tablets case, the fundamentalist zealots who own Hobby Lobby (a chain of craft stores) conspired with unscrupulous dealers to smuggle industrial quantities of archaeological artifacts out of the Middle East for their own collection and the "Bible Museum" they are building in Washington. They settled the matter by forfeiting the artifacts and paying a fine of USD 3 million.
                            A fact I learned through this:

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              My entirely anecdotal experience of such communities has found that they are often comprised of individuals who cannot stand spending an entire day with their partners (an antipathy that is often mutual).
                              I met a few, once, and all I know is that their middle names are usually something like 'tenacity' or 'oh, fuck off' or 'nah, I have to go back to court'.

I usually just came on their curtains and made them a quiche. (That was the punchline to the 1930's joke named 'How do you non-sexually fuck a queen, twice?' Other descriptions of the thirties are available.)

Comment

North Carolina town rejects zoning of solar farm because of the harm it will do

"Jane Mann said she is a local native and is concerned about the natural vegetation that makes the community beautiful.

She is a retired Northampton science teacher and is concerned that photosynthesis, which depends upon sunlight, would not happen and would keep the vegetation from growing. She said she has observed areas near solar panels where vegetation is brown and dead because it did not receive enough sunlight.

She also questioned the high number of cancer deaths in the area, saying no one could tell her that solar panels didn’t cause cancer."

Comment

A Science teacher . . .

The whole article is WTF.

To start with, if the facility is in fact outside the town boundaries (and therefore not producing any jobs or taxes), why is the Council voting on it?

Comment

Wetherspoons plan to open a museum.

Comment

It's why Britain is so grey, all those solar panels sucking up all our sunlight. Worse in the winter, when the extra energy required for heating means all the sunlight is gone by half past four.

Comment

I thought the article was satire when I first read it, but it seems to come from a real newspaper.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                          North Carolina town rejects zoning of solar farm because of the harm it will do

"Jane Mann said she is a local native and is concerned about the natural vegetation that makes the community beautiful.

She is a retired Northampton science teacher and is concerned that photosynthesis, which depends upon sunlight, would not happen and would keep the vegetation from growing. She said she has observed areas near solar panels where vegetation is brown and dead because it did not receive enough sunlight.

She also questioned the high number of cancer deaths in the area, saying no one could tell her that solar panels didn’t cause cancer."
                                          Sorry, that was hilarious.

Comment

Man spends £20,000 to look like David Beckham. Reckon it's one of those set up stories created by agencies though

Comment

http://www.cracked.com/pictofacts-29...got-away-with/

Comment

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1074797494448676864?s=21

Comment

Kinky.

Comment

Factually wrong, too. Assuming you can hold hands with God at all.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X