Newcastle United Moustache Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought the story I read about Philippe Albert tribute moustaches being grown by the side was a joke, judging by Barton and Smith tonight it isn't.

They have a way to go to match Charlie Finley's Oakland A's:

Comment

A caller to Baker and kelly once observed that Albert played worse once he had removed his moustache.

He also said Lee Clark played worse when he started growing his hair.

Newcastle and hair eh. Well - just look at Andy Carroll...

Comment

ursus arctos wrote:
        They have a way to go to match Charlie Finley's Oakland A's:
        Was that in the era when the Yankees owner was dictating how players hair should be? As a kind of sly dig?

Comment

No, that was before Steinbrenner's "no facial hair" policy, which was born out of his autocratic, right wing tendencies (and is still in place, btw).

Finley, as always, was just trying to get some publicity. Given that it was the 70s, a few of his better players had grown moustaches on their own, and then Charlie decided that an entire moustachioed team would create "buzz". So he started offering guys money to grow moustaches (just as he offered Vida Blue money to change his middle name to "True" (Vida didn't do it)).

Comment

Fivelive seem to think it's to make Sky looks silly with their pictured line ups.

Comment

I'm not a moustache fan myself, but I must say it rather suits Michael Ballack. Very 70s Hollywood leading man.

Comment

Working...
              X