Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They all look the same to me

Except these two

CLERIC Arnold Saunders's remarkable likeness to Manchester United owner Malcolm Glazer has its up and down sides..

The rabbi has had beer poured over his head and has been threatened by angry Reds fans.

But when things are going well, he has been mobbed by supporters wanting autographs and photographs.

After United clinched the Premier title at Wigan, the rabbi, who is responsible for Higher Prestwich Congregation in north Manchester, was surrounded by happy fans who blocked his route and jumped on his car.

Rabbi Saunders, a Reds fan since the age of nine, says that other supporters quickly spotted a similarity to Glazer soon after the 80-year-old billionaire took over the club.

He said: "Despite the fact that he's about 30 years older than me, I guess there is a bit of a resemblance. We both have glasses and beards, although his is a bit more ginger than mine.

"Most of the time the comments are good hearted or people want to have their picture taken with me. On one or two occasions I have experienced some very ugly behaviour ranging from very strong language to having a can of beer poured over me.

"I'm used to it now but sometimes I wish Mr Glazer would let me borrow one of his security guards.

Surprised

"Bizarrely, it's also happened when I've been at FC United games where you would think fans would be a little bit surprised to see Malcolm Glazer."

The 49-year-old has five children with wife Myrella - Shoshana, 25, Zevi, 24, Yossi, 19, Yoni, 14, and eight-year-old Chaya - who have been surprised by the attention received by their father.

Although a lifelong United fan, Rabbi Saunder's religious beliefs mean that he cannot make games on Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath, but instead attends of mid-week and Sunday fixtures.

Glazer, worth a reported £1bn, drew criticism from Reds fans who feared his takeover would lead to price hikes.

It's just a Jewish bloke with a beard. He looks nothing like Malcolm Glazer. At all.

There was a guy who used to come in to Wetherspoons who looked a lot more like Malcolm Glazer than this guy. He was ginger, for a start. And wore a baseball cap. I refused to serve him, just in case.

Comment

The dude from Something About Mary looks more like Glazer than the rabbi (bloody gloryhunter who doesn't go to matches on Saturdays because of "Sabbath")

Comment

That's no rabbi, that's Bob Hoskins

Comment

He looks very fatalistic doesn't he.

I look more like malcolm glazer though.

Comment

Pan Tau wrote:
            The dude from Something About Mary looks more like Glazer than the rabbi (bloody gloryhunter who doesn't go to matches on Saturdays because of "Sabbath")

"The dude"? That's comic genius Chris Elliott. Perhaps he didn't go far outside of the US. He's a cult figure here for his sitcom "Get A Life!", as well as the movie Cabin Boy. He got noticed for his appearances in David Letterman's show.

Comment

I've always thought he (Elliott) looks a lot like Daniel Stern.

Comment

I can't decide whether it's Glazer or the rabbi who loves football more.

Comment

Heh, I know, inca. I liked Get A Life. I was more thinking of Elliott's character Woogie in TSAM in relation to Glazer.

Comment

Isn't he the comic book store owner off Everybody Loves Raymond?

Comment

Although a lifelong United fan, Rabbi Saunder's religious beliefs mean that he cannot make games on Saturday, the Jewish Sabbath, but instead attends of mid-week and Sunday fixtures.
                      Well he's got his principles. My grandad goes to a Catholic church in Oldham and a few years ago one of the congregation, a policeman, stopped a car doing 85 mph down Oldham Road heading towards Manchester on a Sunday. When he wandered up and asked the driver to pull his window down he saw it was the priest, a United season ticket-holder who'd just finished giving Mass and was trying to get to a midday kick off.

That's a crisis of faith for you right there.

Comment

Working...
                      X