Fútbol Español 2010-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fútbol Español 2010-11

I hope that Mesut Özil can get some games at Real Madrid as he really does look like a potentially great player, if he does not play he could end up having his career finished before it starts, a strange move for him I feel.

Are Real trying to be a Muslim club with him and Khedira?

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

they seem to have plenty of choices and scope for variation there, apart from maybe up front. I disagree a little with Lodz that Benzema would be an alternative for Higuain, I think Benzema is not that out and out sort of player really and would be best on the right of the attacking three behind a main striker.

Probably Ronaldo will play at centre forward for a fair few games I would reckon.

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

Bit of a tense one this evening, as Sevilla travel to the Camp Nou to defend their 3-1 advantage from the Supercopa first leg. Barcelona with all their World Cup winners back won't want to flop, and clearly Sevilla will want to grab any título they can, such as this one. Cigarini starts, according to AS - possibly Zokora and him could be the midfield twosome for the season if all goes well...

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

This looks like it will be a very enjoyable season.

Condolences, Lodzu.

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

Yes, thanks, and congratulations, to get tonked 4-0 is rather distinctly disappointing, and hopefully not a pointer to the season...Messi hat-trick, I see...

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

Messi and Villa have developed a bit of an understanding. This is bad news for the rest of the league.

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

I can't believe no one mentioned the affair González. Forget Villa - as anyone in the know will tell you the transfer saga of the summer concerns the airwaves not the pitch.

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

What's that then, IWU? I've been out of the country since the end of June...

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

Dearie me, 3-4 and that's that for SFC in the Champions League. Definitely does not bode well that in the first two real matches the team has bombed, and this is a real punch in the guts. Let's hope it doesn't carry over into the league. Bravo to Braga, though, it has to be said.

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

Lodzubelieveit wrote:
                      What's that then, IWU? I've been out of the country since the end of June...
                      In a a few words:

Advertiser calls Cadena SER ofended for what he considers disrespectful treatment of their product by one of the members of the Carrusel Deportivo team (the show with the highest ratings on Spanish radio) during the latest of their legendary Superbowl broadcasts.

Head honcho hands him the offender’s head on a plate.

Carrusel director Paco González says “If he’s out, I’m out”.

Head honcho says “You’re going nowhere but the World Cup”.

González replies (literally): “You can stick your World Cup up your etc”, walks out and signs for Telecinco to do the World Cup on TV.

Their former colleagues spend the World Cup sending messages of support to the departed in a clear gesture of defiance against the network.

After the WC González drops the bomb and signs for Cadena COPE (for the unitiated, in the politically-charged world of Spanish radio that’s the equivalent of moving from Barcelona to Real Madrid).

One by one, almost every member of the sports staff, over 80 of them, including technicians and staff in the local stations, sign for Cadena COPE leaving Cadena SER in a state of red alert (only Carrusel Deportivo accounts for around 60% of the network’s advertising revenue).

Cadena SER issue a desperate statement which looks like a clumsy Word document typed by a trainee in his lunch break saying it’s not fair but they can take them we were going to sack them all anyway but it’s not fair and they at COPE are a bunch of ugly priests.

It reaches to a point where Marca carries the latest COPE signings on his front page. SER are left with an empty shell of a show, only a name but no one to actually do the show, and an increasingly isolated and paranoid Jose Ramón de la Morena, egomaniac self-styled star of the network, hated by everyone at the sports department, who runs the decaying night–time sports show El Largero. To make things saucier COPE hands their night-time show to Juan Antonio Alcalá, former Sideshow Bob to de la Morena’s Krusty the Clown, who used to suffer de la Morena’s arbitrary humiliations on air.

The war is served. It’s going to be an interesting season. Who needs football?

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

Marco Aurelio has come back to Turkey, he left real Betis to join Besiktas. Any reaction there?

Rumours have Emana also leaving Betis for Turkey but this time for Galatasaray.

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

As far as I know Mehmet Aurelio is reasonably respected by Betis fans for being a solid player, with some class, and a decent guy. However, it seems to have been something of the wrong place at the wrong time for him to have gone there, what with his injuries and the team/club's implosion. Could have been a really good signing in different circumstances I guess.

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

I have always rated him as a player, Fenerbahçe's troubles started with both him and Zico leaving. He left Fenerbahçe when his contracted expired and felt that he deserved a better contract especially with the players who came in after him earning more. This caused the chairman, Aziz Yildirim, to stubbornly refuse. His transfer to Besiktas will allow Guti and Quaresma to play and could be the missing piece for them.

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

Four years ago some friends who I get together to watch La Liga games decided to compete in Yahoo's Superliga, a fantasy football game involving the Spanish league. It ended up being a lot of fun. I formed a group amongst some friends who I watched La Liga games with from my hangouts in Los Angeles and San Diego and that has expanded as they invited people they know and so on and so on. The Group is called California/Espana but has members from elsewhere, including one in Kyiv, Ukraine!

The link for the game is:

Spanish:
                              http://es.superliga.fantasysports.yahoo.com/football

English:
                              http://e1.superliga.fantasysports.yahoo.com/

Fill out your team, you must pick an entire team of 11 players in order to win any points and then join our group. If you see a section which says in Spanish, "Apuntarse a un grupo" or "Unete a un grupo" go ahead and click the link and enter the following information:
                              ID del grupo: 2005
                              contrasena del grupo (password) : futbol

And you'll be entered in our group. Some people change their teams weekly, others stay with a set lineup throughout all or most of the season. One tip is you must save your changes each week "Guardar sus cambios" and then confirm those changes "Confirmar los cambios" in order to earn points.

Not only is it fun but also is a good way to learn more about the players in Spain. Also please feel free to invite anybody else you know to join the group. The more the merrier.

Enjoy and good luck!

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

Visca el Mallorca!...am now a soci at Son Moix, and am more than a little excited about Sunday night's trek out to the stadium and back. Hopefully they'll actually let me in, having said my physical card won't be ready till next week, but my receipt 'will suffice' - hmm...After years of following Real Oviedo, Rayo Vallecano and CE Sabadell around the Segunda B, I'm certainly pleased to 'get promoted' back to La Liga, and looking forward to the season...

I noted some glee yesterday around the Mallorca foros with the signing of Cavenaghi, albeit with a good deal of suspicion about the actual terms of the loan/transfer from Bordeaux. He's a player whose name I've heard for years, but I can't say I know much about him - anyone out there recommend him?

With reference to that other thread, sadly no 'fixer' for me, as the last three days of tramping round Palma in sticky 35 degree heat flatsearching will testify...

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

Congrats Lodz on your first division promotion! Question is who will you support when Sevilla visit Son Moix?

For some reason every time I think of Mallorca I think of Roderic Jeffries entertaining Inspector Alvarez mystery novels. If you have not read them before I do recommend them.

Cavenaghi was a player billed as the next Batistuta when he came up at River Plate and led the Argentine league in scoring as a teenager but his move to Russia (I think it was Spartak Moscow) did not pan out and after initially enjoying some success when he moved to Bordeaux he eventually was benched by Marouane Chamakh.

To me Cavenaghi's biggest weakness is he is slow. But he still has a good eye for goal and can be a good penalty area presence for Mallorca. Your new club also just signed two Brazilians I am not familiar with midfielder Joao Victor and right back Edson Ramos. Gregorio Manzano had a great gift for taking Mallorca and making them into a competitive team each year no matter who they lost in the offseason. Now it will be Michael Laudrup's turn to try and do the same. I liked the stylish way Laudrup's Getafe team played and with time I suspect he will get Mallorca playing pretty well too.

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

Martin C, thanks for the fantasy info. I'm a degenerate fantasy sports junkie, so this is right up my alley. A bit of FAIL in that they still have Rafa Marquez in the game, though...

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

Oh, I'm sevillista through and through, Martin C - Mallorca is just 'circumstances'...

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

Good stuff, it appears, thus far tonight for SFC, coming from 1-0 down to lead 2-1 at half time at Levante in the first league match...

(...Wish I could be out watching it, instead of following intermittent AS text updates on my rubbishy internet movil. However, a walk around the centre of Palma an hour and a half ago revealed, depressingly predictably, every useful bar to be a smoking bar. Especially true, of course, of the Irish pubs, which are the most footbally ones, with every last smoky British and Irish tourist puffing away inside at 100mph like they can't do at home...absolutely disgusting, just like spitting in your pint...hope to God I can get a flat sorted, and hooked up to Gol TV, very soon...*gets down off hobby horse*)

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

Well, a reasonably enjoyable first visit to the 'Iberostar Estadio', and certainly the home fans are going home happy. Reasonable noise from the 20-odd thousand inside there, a bit more compact than the windswept, desolate appearance the ground gives on TV. Top marks to the devil mascot, who never stopped larking around the running track for the full 90 minutes, encountering Lass's displeasure near the end. Massive great chocolate ensaimada at half time has sent my blood sugar levels soaring.

RMad seemed very spluttery, and it's clear they need time to gel. Ronaldo, clearly, seemed the most dangerous player; there's a real buzz of anticipation when he's on the ball. I guess Carvalho did all right at the back, though he wasn't exactly put under much pressure. Hero of the night for RCDM was Dudu Aouate in goals, who was really solid. Full marks too to Nunes at the back and old stager Martí in midfield. They're really going to need Cavenaghi to get his shooting boots on as the season progresses, mind you, as the team seems a bit toothless going forward - no goal threat at all, hardly.

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

I watched most of the game on the internet, and you'll be pleased to know the devil mascot was also the star of the television coverage. One brilliant moment with Ronaldo giving it the full "woe is me" histrionics, with Old Inflatable Nick prancing across the running track behind him - marvellous.

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

Bit of an unacceptable line being crossed there, by La Sexta in their Atlético-Sporting coverage, where ads for Hyundai actually cut in over the live coverage of the game. First time I've ever seen that, and it's not good...

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

Positively North American.

All hail Atleti.

UEFA SuperCup winners, top of la Liga and the most impressive club in Europe over the last week.

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

Atleti certainly seem to be "getting their shit together" at the moment...

Sevilla waste no time after losing Squillaci, by bringing in Alexis from Valencia and Cáceres from Barcelona - both pretty good players, albeit not world beaters...Luis Fabiano bites the bullet and signs an extension to his contract...Duscher zoomed out to Espanyol...

And all the best to a certain Mr Stankevicius, off on loan to Valencia from Sampdoria...

Comment

Fútbol Español 2010-11

I picked a great couple of weeks to be in Spain-Atleti supercampeon; top of the league (just as I was saying, at 3-0 'typical Atleti, chance to go top of the league and they've missed all these chances', and Simao slams one in in injury time) and Euskaltel rider Igor Anton wins a brilliant stage win in the Vuelta.

Back to work now, tho', sigh, and all anyone here wants to talk about is Asamoah Gyan. World Cup- so last year.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X