Sherlock Holmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sherlock Holmes

I remember being scared shitless years ago watching an old BW film of THOTB,probably Rathbone. "The Hound from Hell" became a familiar teasing expression from my Dad afterwards.
    Watching this, my three lads went through the same experience.

Personally,I thought it was a bit Doctor Whoish, not suprising ; plus Alonso from the Titanic was in it.

Quite funny; but I too missed the London cab hopping, and the city itself, almthough Dartmoor looked pretty..

Having recently seen the Guy Ritchie new one these series are knocking that into a tin hat.

The missus who, enjoyed the eye candy (Law and Downey) in the films; but hated the films themselves is far more enjoying these, although she seems to be taking a bit too much of an interest in Mr Cumberbatch for my liking.

The last one is a play on the Reichenbach falls finale, which are really nice to walk around (not to plummet down, with your arch nemesis though I suppose.)

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

ian.64 wrote:
      As well as the weakest, most predictable plot it really suffered from leaving London because the city itself is such a star of the show.

I don't think location had anything to do with it - it's a bit too late to ask Conan Doyle to relocate from Dartmoor to some fields outside Hackney.
      My point was more "Why do that story" than "Why not relocate that story to London".

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

My point was more "Why do that story"

Possibly because it's the most famous story of the Holmes canon and that it had to be done eventually? You're right to infer that London locations are well used in the series, but, in this case, however entertaining it was, the Baskerville tale was a little underdone in my opinion and it really didn't matter that London didn't feature (is it a detective series or a tourist advert?). Even some people get a little peeved when Doctor Who just buggered off back to Earth when there were quite a few interesting alien civilisation to explore.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

It was worth relocating to Dartmoor for the dogging gag alone.

Top stuff. Yes, you can pick holes in it if you want but there is currently nothing anywhere near as entertaining on British TV at the moment, it's 90 mins of rip roaring adventure, great writing and brilliant acting.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

ian.64 wrote:
            My point was more "Why do that story"

Possibly because it's the most famous story of the Holmes canon and that it had to be done eventually? You're right to infer that London locations are well used in the series, but, in this case, however entertaining it was, the Baskerville tale was a little underdone in my opinion and it really didn't matter that London didn't feature (is it a detective series or a tourist advert?).
            Well yes, the fact that it is the most well known story contributes to it's relative weakness too. They would have had to work so much harder to make it work rather than coasting a bit prior to this week's climax.

I didn't think London should be featured as a "tourist advert" (if that's what you meant?) but because the location of the previous episodes has positively contributed to the mood and look of them.

I'd agree with everyone else saying that even the "least impressive episode" (which is what I called it. Hardly a major criticism and it was probably exacerbated for me by watching all five in quick succession) is better than anything else around at the moment but it's still a fair comment to make.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

I didn't think London should be featured as a "tourist advert" (if that's what you meant?) but because the location of the previous episodes has positively contributed to the mood and look of them.

I wouldn't disagree with that, although I'd argue that having a director as good as Paul McGuigan has helped a great deal in making Sherlock as good as it is, never mind the acting, and has been key in establishing the look and feel of the programme. In this case, the treatment of the most well-known story of the lot let everyone down a bit. You'd have thought they'd gone to town on it (no pun intended). As I said, it didn't have to stay primarily in London to be good. Just wish it was better, that's all.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Nice casting of the werewolf from Being Human as a man terrorised by a gigantic hound.

Excellent use of the names etc. from the book to trigger little "Ah, yes!" moments throughout.

And on the bonus side, after next weeks' instalment, we know Holmes survives but - NO MORE MORIARITY! WOO HOO! Hopefully more Mycroft, though.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

I normally like Tovey in absolutely everything he's in but I was dissapointed with him in this. Great in his opening scene but ho-hum after that.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

I usually hate Tovey in absolutely everything he's in. In fact he's the reason I couldn't bear to watch Being Human.
                    It's less his acting, (which I find annoyingly stilted) than the way he speaks. Not the accent, more the delivery. Oddly he managed to have a more excruciatingly annoying voicedelivery on Sherlock last night than he usually does. Took the shine off a fun episode for me.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Fuck's sake, Eggchaser, ever heard of spoiler alerts?

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

During my latest depressed state, I watched all of the UK version of Being Human. Loved it.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                          Fuck's sake, Eggchaser, ever heard of spoiler alerts?
                          Jesus Christ, what the actual fuck?

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

You know, I guess he means "Based on what we know from the originals". But I don't think we can be entirely confident that Moffat and Gatiss will stick to those.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Why at Last! wrote:
                              You know, I guess he means "Based on what we know from the originals". But I don't think we can be entirely confident that Moffat and Gatiss will stick to those.
                              Yes, well I'm not sure whose side you're on with the "What the actual fuck", but anyway, a) not all of us have read the originals, so we're enjoying watching this set-in-the-present-day series 'as new', and b) yes indeed, Moffatt and Gatiss are playing fast and loose with Conan Doyle's timeline anyway, so when someone says definitively "(the thing that Eggchaser said)", it's entirely possible that they've had a heads-up or done some digging.

I'm not sure whether Eggchaser is talking just from a position of having read the originals, or because he's heard insider info about the next episode. Either way, it's unwelcome.

I watched the Basil Rathbone films when I was a kid, but I've forgotten most of them and it's rude to assume that oh, everybody knows the storylines so spoileration isn't possible. It's not like Julius Caesar or Titanic or something.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                                Why at Last! wrote:
                                Yes, well I'm not sure whose side you're on with the "What the actual fuck...
                                Yours.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Those of you, like me, wanting to avoid spoilers should avoid the wiki page for the show which I consulted on some minor point last wekeend.

Not only does it give away the ending of the original Reichenbach Falls story it hints at how the makers of the show approach it too. I literally stopped reading mid-sentence once I realised and slammed the lid of the laptop down.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Honest to God, what is wrong with you people? The "spoiler" is so widely known and discussed every time Sir Arthur Conan Doyle or Sherlock Holmes is examined - it was in the Mark Gatiss interview in the bloody Radio Times last week, that crazed hotbed of plot leaks and reveals - that if you don't know why the author did what he did you'd have to be a cultural hermit or something.

Putting it into the funky and wild world of OTF (no crusty old Victorian detective novels here!), have none of you read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen either? Alan Moore directly incorporates it into the comic!

asghfuiefba!!!

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

I think it's safe to assume a massive percentage of people watching the TV show have got next to no knowledge of the original Holmes stories.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Eggchaser wrote:
                                        Honest to God, what is wrong with you people? The "spoiler" is so widely known and discussed every time Sir Arthur Conan Doyle or Sherlock Holmes is examined - it was in the Mark Gatiss interview in the bloody Radio Times last week, that crazed hotbed of plot leaks and reveals
                                        Eggchaser is from a bye-gone age where people read the Radio Times.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Those of you, like me, wanting to avoid spoilers should avoid the wiki page for the show which I consulted on some minor point last wekeend.

Not only does it give away the ending of the original Reichenbach Falls story it hints at how the makers of the show approach it too. I literally stopped reading mid-sentence once I realised and slammed the lid of the laptop down.
                                          I'm mostly sympathetic to spoiler avoidance (though some people take it to ridiculous extremees), but I don't understand why anyone who wants to avoid spoilers about something would look it up on Wikipedia. I seem to remember SR doing the same for The Wire. It's Wikipedia, guys, not a spoiler-free thread on a forum.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Can anyone explain why the story title of the episode was changed from The Hound of the Baskervilles to The Hounds of Baskerville? As a place instead of a family I can understand why 'Baskervilles' was singularised but there was...

!!!!!!!!!!!! SPOILER !!!!!!!!!!!!

... only one dog involved wasn't there? Unless the bad guy is also considered a "hound" in the vernacular sense. A bit contrived if so.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Ginger Yellow wrote:

I'm mostly sympathetic to spoiler avoidance (though some people take it to ridiculous extremees), but I don't understand why anyone who wants to avoid spoilers about something would look it up on Wikipedia. I seem to remember SR doing the same for The Wire. It's Wikipedia, guys, not a spoiler-free thread on a forum.
                                              I'd assumed I was safe given that the episode in question is yet to be broadcast anywhere but you make a fair point. Luckily, I'm not sure I've seen enough to spoil the last episode in any major way.

I actually initially watched about 90 seconds of episode one of series two without ever having seen series one. I quickly realised it was a mistake, stopped and went back to the very first episode to catch up. It meant the Moriaty reveal was "spoilt" for me but it was no great problem, especially as it was pretty well signposted in episode three anyway.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Does any of the above make sense actually?

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

I read and re-read all the books, and am enjoying this series.

I loved Jeremy Brett's portrayal and found that series/those series very good, and faithful to the books.

This new series is kind of faithful to the spirit, and the use of new technology is very clever. My minor quibbles are that they use too many recognisable actors, and it's a little too cough Dr Who cough inlovewithitself.

Still, enjoyable, and Cumberbatch is well gorj. Like, cor, or what.

I agree somewhat with hobbes about Tovey - I liked him in Being Human, but was often willing him to finish his sentences more quickly or less affectedly, and here I was very conscious of his accent.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

VTTBoscombe wrote:
                                                    Oh, I've got to defend the dude playing Moriarty, I find having a younger version of Graham Norton playing an evil super villain quite amusing.
                                                    In fact when I went to see the Guy Ritchie new flick, I was very dissapointed in that more "traditional" version.
                                                    I guess the thing is though, when Moriarty is supposed to be an evil genius, the only male character who can pit his wits against Holmes on equal terms, you just can't associate that with the actor who was coming across as a camp, vacant prat, mostly content to ham it up a la Blofeld.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X