Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sherlock Holmes

Crusoe wrote:
    I'm filling in the blanks with a five season boxed set of Jonathan Creek. It's not quite the same thing
    That reminds me, I've got the All Creatures Great And Small series one box set still to watch. You really have got to be careful what you leave on your Amazon wishlist.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Just to join in with the love for this. I've actually only seen episode one but thoroughly enjoyed it, and will be tucking into episode two on iplayer tonight once the little'un has been sent off to bed.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

I thought it was good, again. Was the graffitti chappie supposed to be a modern version of a Baker Street Irregular?

I do hope the Holmes and Watson relationship isn't some sort of gay thing. You never got that vibe from the books and it would be nice for a "quirky" modern update (or indeed any "quirky" show with male leads) not to be riddled with suppressed homosexual lust. If they want to bang away at it, fine, get it out on the table, but I am given to understand that men are capable of sharing accomodation without lapsing into an orgy of convenient sodomy.

/wing commander/

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Eggchaser wrote:
          I thought it was good, again. Was the graffitti chappie supposed to be a modern version of a Baker Street Irregular?

I do hope the Holmes and Watson relationship isn't some sort of gay thing. You never got that vibe from the books and it would be nice for a "quirky" modern update (or indeed any "quirky" show with male leads) not to be riddled with suppressed homosexual lust. If they want to bang away at it, fine, get it out on the table, but I am given to understand that men are capable of sharing accomodation without lapsing into an orgy of convenient sodomy.

/wing commander/
          In fairness, we did see Watson trying to flirt with the receptionnist/secretary, and even Holmes seems more asexual than gay.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Have enjoyed both episodes very much. I think I preferred the first one, although the second was more true to the Conan Doyle style.

I read on Wikipedia that Matt Smith auditioned for the part of Watson. He didn't get it as he was thought to be too 'madcap' but he was recommended to audition for the part of Dr who.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Missed out on part two, but, from what I've seen, it's been bracing, vibrant stuff with two knockout leads giving top-notch work, which gives credence to what one critic wrote in the Independent the other week where, if they're bringing out the awards, they should reserve an accolade for the bod who cast Cumberbatch and Freeman in the lead roles.

Just to refer to Paul McGuigan's direction again, I was wracking my brains where I'd seen that name before and a little peek at IMDB reveals that he'd directed Lucky Number Slevin, Push, The Acid House and, perhaps most notably, Gangster No.1, which, while not a body of Spielbergian proportions, suggests he's honed his directorial chops to an agreeable standard.

Perhaps the second Sherlock, directed by the less assured (and more common-or-garden telly-style eye of) Euros Lyn, gained reportedly less enthusiastic reviews because of this less-than-sparkling directorial approach.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Couldn't quite make up my mind on the first two episodes, but at any rate they tempted me enough to keep watching. The third one was poor though. Increasingly daft, out of character and unconvincing in the detail - all of which still might not have mattered too much (I watch Dr Who after all) if they'd wrapped it up well, but the last scene was abysmal.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

**************SPOILER ALERT!****************

The third episode was good, but the ending was a stinking pile of piss. Who thought it was a good idea to cast a hobbit with Loyd Grossman's accent and the vocal delivery of the guy playing Pollux Troy in Face/Off as Moriarty?

And a fashion tip, chum - if you're going to get all het up about Dr Watson grabbing your precious deisgner suit, you could:-

a). Have one that actually fucking fits you and:

b). Have it made by a proper bloody tailor.

That being said, it looks well set up for future episodes provided Moriarty is kept to an absolute minimum and not wheeled out, giggling like a drunken 15 year old, every time we need something a bit "Oooh!" to add it the proceedings.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

I didn't think the first episode was all that amazing (everyone I know guessed the murderer way before time), but watching all three of these has only increased my admiration for Steven Moffat. His weaknesses are obvious, but he's so clearly the best British scriptwriter when it comes to intricate, twisty drama, that the following two episodes could only be a let-down. And they were.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

They were flaws, yes.* But I loved all 3 episodes. Cumberbatch was brilliant. And the modern, but still distinctly Holmesian feel was brilliantly done.

*Especially the last scene and the whole Moriarty reveal. I agree wholeheartedly with Eggchaser. Keep Moriarty out of it as much as you can. Partly because one should never overdo arch enemies (take note for Dr Who, Moffat), but also because he was a pretty rubbish one anyway. Someone on the Guardian website said he reminded them of Graham Norton and that's spot on.

Eggchaser is also right about Moriarty's suit. Holmes wins the fashion stakes in this one.

Anyway, this has all left with me with a thirst to watch some more Sherlock Holmes so I want to go and add to my lovefilm wants list forthwith. Without a Clue, with Michael Caine and Ben Kingsley, is a given.

Any other recommendations? Haven't seen the Basil Rathbone films since I was a kid. Do they still hold up and if so, which ones were the best? Any other good adaptations - either film or TV series?

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

I like the cut of this Jon fellow's jib.

ITV's adaptations with Jeremy Brett as Holmes are pretty good, he becomes increasingly unhinged as they go on. Basil Rathbone is quite good fun, The Hound of The Baskervilles one was excellent.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

I don't know which episode I saw but I caught it on telly a few days ago and I enjoyed it. I just love characters like modern-days Holmes was described, I'm sure we could enjoy a good chat about OS maps...

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Any word yet on when the second series will be shown?

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Well, that was damned splendid.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

That was a lot of fun indeed.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

I can't wait until the second series of Sherlock is available here. Could be a while. I loved Series 1.

I also enjoyed the second installment of the Robert Downey, Jr/Jude Law version, but not as much as the first one.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

That was a lot of fun, but I was wondering if it might have worked better as a 60 minute drama. It felt like they were making the story more complicated than it needed to be in order to fill up the full 90 minutes. Also it did a bit of a disservice to the original story. The point of 'A Scandal in Bohemia' is that it's one of the few instances in which Holmes does get completely outwitted. Cumberbatch is great though.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

I thought 90 minutes suited it fine, really. It wouldn't have felt as solid and as strong as it did last night. Excellent stuff, wonderfully acted and crackling with good ideas, not to mention the neat trick of letting graphics help the story along instead of becoming an annoyance. The Cumberbatch/Freeman pairing is coming along a treat, with the latter proving ever more impressive as his magnetically-watchable lead. Just a sideline, I thought - unless I'm slowly transforming into a nun - there was a surprising edge of pre-watershed raunch to the episode, but it was handled with wit and discretion. Oh, yes. Lara Pulver's Irene Adler - blimey (loosens collar) - superbly played and even more vivid when you consider the same role was played with zero mystique by Rachel McAdam in the Guy Ritchie version of Conan Doyle's creation (although, to be fair to Ms. McAdam, the testosterone-soaked aura of that film may suggest it wasn't her fault the character was unmemorable).

Bloody good stuff.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Excellent episode (prickface Moriarty aside, woefully miscast). Mark Gatiss stole every scene he was in with aplomb.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

You're all are a bunch of sexist dinosaurs, you know that...?

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

I love the fact that they've actually set up a real Watson's blog.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Oh, I've got to defend the dude playing Moriarty, I find having a younger version of Graham Norton playing an evil super villain quite amusing.
                                              In fact when I went to see the Guy Ritchie new flick, I was very dissapointed in that more "traditional" version.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

Yes, I thought Moriaty made a huge impression in what was essentially a cameo appearance and the actor gets credit for that.

I missed series one initially so watched all five episodes so far in order in the last week and it's great, the two series openers being obvious high points.

I had been warned that episode two of series one was a let down but really enjoyed it, last night's however was by far the least impressive. As well as the weakest, most predictable plot it really suffered from leaving London because the city itself is such a star of the show.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

As well as the weakest, most predictable plot it really suffered from leaving London because the city itself is such a star of the show.

I don't think location had anything to do with it - it's a bit too late to ask Conan Doyle to relocate from Dartmoor to some fields outside Hackney. Last night's episode, while still highly watchable, suffered from being a bit stretched and high-falutin'. Pads in the undergrowth releasing toxic, nerve-paralysing gas? Hmm. On the plus side (as always) was the acting - like Matt Smith in Doctor Who, the whole enterprise was anchored by Messrs. Cumberbatch and Freeman, whose chemistry on-screen is a treat to watch, and some niftily written (and delivered)lines (Russell Tovey impressed also). It would've helped, though, if it stayed a bit faithful to the original tale instead of the conspiracy theme. It certainly would've filled in those 90 minutes a tad better.

Smiley moment: the bit where Watson calls Holmes 'Spock'. Quite a touch considering Cumberbatch's official drafting in to the cast of Star Trek 2.

Oh, and it was nice to see the bloke who played a younger version of John Hurt's character in the first Hellboy movie pop up as the pub chef. Wondered where he'd gotten to.

Comment

Sherlock Holmes

A thoroughly enjoyable 90 minutes of telly that we don't seem to get much these days. Loved the dogging gag!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X