X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your favourite World Cup Final ever

historyman wrote:
    The MB Shrew wrote:

I love everything about the 1970 World Cup, even though I was 2 years away from being born, I like the grainy pictures, crackly commentary, the fact that this was probably the first time people had seen advertising hordings around the pitch and then of course there was Brazil.
    And also it was the first WC to be broadcast in colour, for those who had colour sets at that time. That seems to be another reason why that Brazil side was so mythologised - the cameras capturing the sunlight reflecting off their bright yellow shirts.

It must have been a thing of wonder to watch the matches live by satellite too, as the technology was still in its infancy.

There was a live CL commentary on 5Live a couple of years ago - I can't remember which match - and there was a technical glitch which meant that the commentary had to be relayed down a telephone line. It sounded fantastic and loads of people texted in afterwards to say so. It reminded me of the 1970 WC.
    I remember a game at the 1986 World Cup where ITV lost Peter Brackley's commentary, and so Brian Moore had to call the game from the studio in Mexico City and did quite well.

Mind you, ESPN still call football games from studios, and SBS(Australia)'s Simon Hill and Craig Foster commentated on the 2004 Champions League Final from the station's Sydney studios.

Comment

SydneyToon wrote:
      As the ball broke just outside the French penalty area, Davies said he leaned over to fellow commentator Jon Champion and said "Petit fancies this!". 30 seconds later Petit was up the other end
      Did it really happen that slowly?

Comment

"I remember a game at the 1986 World Cup where ITV lost Peter Brackley's commentary, and so Brian Moore had to call the game from the studio in Mexico City and did quite well."

It was Brazil v. Spain, with Brian Clough alongside him in the studio. That 1986 World Cup had quite a few technical problems: Uruguay v. West Germany had about 5 minutes missing & never televised because of an electrical storm, the screen showed a still picture of the World Cup itself while the live pictures were gone. Also, the commentary kept cutting out during the first half & a buzzing sound was heard instead.

Mexico v. Belgium had live pictures but unfortunately the commentary accompanying it for the first 5 minutes or so was from Algeria v. N. Ireland.

The start of France v. USSR was suddenly replaced by pictures of Argentina v. Italy for 2 minutes before going back again. Therefore, the kick-off was missed & the game went back live just as the USSR won a corner-kick.

N. Ireland v. Spain commentary had a loud buzzing noise in the background for about 10 or 15 minutes. The commentator (I think Peter Brackley but definitely accompanied by Ron "Atko" Atkinson) apologised to the viewers, although the commentators themselves couldn't hear the buzzing. He said something like, "I understand you're hearing interference on the line back home, which is obviously out of our control but for which we still apologise."

Comment

Working...
        X