Another Danny Baker thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the risk of overkill, I feel compelled to post yet another recommendation of Danny Baker, specifically his show on Saturday morning (26th June), which is quite simply one of the best radio shows I've ever heard, from him or anyone else.

Get it here before it disappears. You won't regret it.

It's so great I was almost moved to tears at what radio can do in the hands of someone who understands the medium and loves his subject matter.

In particular, the piece he recorded at the South Africa v France match is just priceless. I won't spoil it for you, but you'll see what I mean. And the story about going to a wildlife reserve.

And I've still got half an hour left to listen to as I travel back to Brighton tomorrow, which is very exciting.

Well, there you go.

Looking forward to that one SR, I'm running three podcasts behind so I'm hoping to have a lazy day on Saturday catching up.

I think it's loving his subject matter that makes him stand out, isn't it? The way he bounces around from subject to subject in the most childishly enthusiastic way is tremendously engaging. He makes simple, surreal ideas work, when they'd fall flat in the hands of anyone else. The first time I heard 'chimpanzees dressed as famous people set to fairground music' I almost put the car off the road I was laughing so hard.

Comment

Agreed SR and I can't wait for tonight's show (he does have one on non-match days, yes?).

I'm very annoyed I didn't put Baker as my 'Hero of the Tournament' in the pre-WC questionaire on here.

Comment

Just think how much more bearable the world cup would have been if the BBC panel had just been Baker & Berthold.

Comment

Revealing my ignorance, which Berthold? It's reminded me that Henning Wehn is having a very good WC whenever I hear him too.

Comment

Looks like Baker and Kelly will be reunited.

Comment

Sacked for being racist.

Comment

Given Louise Pepper was in the right-hand seat in the cockpit this morning, does it mean Lynsey Hipgrave has been cashiered too?

Comment

She left to do tv ages ago

Comment

Originally posted by tuckwat View Post
                    Sacked for being racist.
                    It hasn't taken long for the BBC to broadcast Baker again. A repeat rather than anything new, but he is the presenter in the show (The People's History of Pop) that is currently being shown on BBC4...

Comment

Yeah that was pretty jarring...

Comment

Also a very boring Typical late BBC4 production. Maybe this bootcut jeans channel should have been killed off instead of BBC3... Reggie Yates, even Staaacey Dooley docs are more watchable than Dans Snow and Cruikshank talking centrist received wisdom of thirty years ago in history or architecture, let alone another fucking 60s/70s muso doc, some boring cunt Live at The BBC no money for the footage bollocks half hour.
                        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 24-05-2019, 23:53.

Comment

I await the Elton Night in trepidation with the new Biopic from hell on the loose...

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                            let alone another fucking 60s/70s muso doc
                            From memory (I was just flicking past), that is an odd description of that particular programme - a muso doc is precisely what it isn't. It was entirely focused on the fan experience of attending/following pop music rather than (as so many docs are) the performers experiences of creating the music or commentary from their peers or professional critics about their efforts to do so. When it was first broadcast ~3 years ago it felt like a worthy effort just for the unusual angle and attempt at social context in attempted.

Comment

Yeh I was meaning more the channel every Friday night than that particular doc. Though I didn't really enjoy it either.
                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 25-05-2019, 00:55.

Comment

He's back in the room, isn't he, thanks to the miracle of the interwebs and podcasts?

Comment

Working...
                                X