TV nobody else saw.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV nobody else saw.

Wow, I've never seen that Stephen 'Queer' Twigg clip before.

I think Steve Coogan has been quoted as saying that John Stapleton was the single biggest inspiration for Alan Partridge.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Crusoe, that's The Hitcher, I think. The Rutger Hauer thing.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

There's a scene like that in The Hitcher but it's the guy's girlfriend (Jennifer Jason Leigh, I think) who's tied to the truck and ...well, I don't want to spoil it.

Edit: if anyone does want it spoiled, here's the scene done with microsoft paint (although the victim is male in this one - is that in the remake?).

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Nishlord wrote:
          I have mentioned on here before that a friend of mine is sure he saw a feature on 'Nationwide' just prior to 1977 about a plan to carve the Isle of Wight (or maybe Man) in to the shape of the Queen's head and has been desperate in recent decades for someone to confirm that they saw it too.
          Here I am. I can't remember which island it was, but I swear I can remember seeing a cardboard reconstruction of two tankers pulling away the off-cuts to reveal the Queen's head.

(It was all rather tongue-in cheek and, well, Nationwidey)
          "April Fool", for Jubilee Year by any chance?

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

obviously hoax but it has to be the isle of wight though, they are monachry loving c**ts. Apart from housing charles 1 before his execution

isle of man would never have worked on any level

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Nathan Helena Handcart wrote:
              Blair "came down from his constituency in Sheffield"?

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

wingco, johanista - no, this was a different scene. Didn't recognise any of the actors, it was set out in the desert (no trucks), and it was the chap that died.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Wolf Creek?

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Nah. It was American, had a low budget feel to it, and was a late night Channel Five effort a few years back. Am a bit stumped, really: I can remember enough details not to confuse it with another film (what got me was this silent, pleading look in the guy's eyes as the engine revved, so he didn't give his wife/girlfriend away, then the sudden jerk and the gout of black blood from his mouth as [off camera] his limbs parted), but none that help identifying it.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

EIM wrote:
                      I'm pretty certain I saw a Magnum PI and Murder She Wrote crossover show, based on an airplane, with a dog smuggled on board.
                      I saw that too.

Only because I was a big Magnum fan (had a Corgi replica of his car) when I was a kid...

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Looks like I'm not the only one to remember 'The Changes'.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Speaking of tv nobody else saw I caught the last 20 minutes of BBC3 50 most annoying moments in Pop.

The usual suspects - Preston flounces off Buzzcocks, Joss Stone turns from ok yah to homegirl Jossie from the block and Westlife/Robbie Williams as the Rat pack.

Made more viewable by sporadic appearances from Spearmint Rhino.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Hello all. I'm another lurker who thought it only right to finally come out of the woodwork. Has anyone else seen the programme (I think Arena) that was made in respect of Tommy Smith's testimonial game at Liverpool in the late 70s? They plucked a keen but portly member of the public (possibly at random but I'm not sure) to spend a few weeks in intensive training with Tommy himself before actually playing in the testimonial game at Anfield.

My particular memories are of Tommy wrapping Joe Public in a bin liner and making him act vigorously in order to lose a few extra pounds. The honed-down fellow went on to miss a penalty in the game itself. In a highly dubious decision by the referee, the penalty was ordered to be re-taken and he went on to miss it again.

I saw the repeat which must have been in the mid-80s and have not heard of it since. Have I imagined it?

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Standing ovation for EvilC. As soos as I saw this thread I weondered if anyone else remembered Changes. Scared the shite out of me.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Speaking of old TV that scared the shit out of people, my vote goes to Ghostwatch. I was one of many that was too scared to work out that it was fiction.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

VerityHorseplay wrote:
                                  Hello all. I'm another lurker who thought it only right to finally come out of the woodwork. Has anyone else seen the programme (I think Arena) that was made in respect of Tommy Smith's testimonial game at Liverpool in the late 70s? They plucked a keen but portly member of the public (possibly at random but I'm not sure) to spend a few weeks in intensive training with Tommy himself before actually playing in the testimonial game at Anfield.

My particular memories are of Tommy wrapping Joe Public in a bin liner and making him act vigorously in order to lose a few extra pounds. The honed-down fellow went on to miss a penalty in the game itself. In a highly dubious decision by the referee, the penalty was ordered to be re-taken and he went on to miss it again.

I saw the repeat which must have been in the mid-80s and have not heard of it since. Have I imagined it?
                                  I think that this was a show called The Big Time in which a member of the public with a particular skill was given the opportunity to fulfil a lifelong dream. It was also the show that launched the career of Sheena Easton.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Lol Cottrell was the man's name. I remember because it was the same surname as that of my ravishingly lovely French teacher. (I've forgotten her first name; we knew her as "Miss".)

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

I think you might be right, MG. In retrospect, the subject matter doesn't seem quite up Arena's alley. According to Wikipedia, The Big Time also ended the TV career of Fanny Craddock, save for a few appearances on the chat show circuit including an appearance on Parkinson when she stormed off set after learning that Danny La Rue was a bloke in drag. Surely this last revelation is pushing the bounds of even my Wikipedia-credulity too far.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

I just started thinking about a tv series and I wonder if anyone else saw it. It was called The Tribe. It was not the thing where wossname joins a different tribe each week. This was a late 90s Ausralian soap. It was set in a post apocalyptic world where people above about 20 has died from some kind of disease caused by someone trying to profit from GM foods or something. Anyway so it was all teenagers and a few younger kids who survived, and they lived in large groups, like, one in a shopping centre, one in a tower block, etc. And they went tribal. Basically they were all Goths with signsture makeup and hair dye. And the storyline was brilliant. we were all completely gripped at work. They had a charismatic evil preacher, and a lot of Robin Hood like adventures. Itwas great.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

yes, I vaguely remember this, lyra, although not a regular watcher... the clothes were all very Mad Max meets 70's Vivienne Westwood, and I remember some serious mullets on the kids. Couldnt tell you the slightest thing about the storyline though.

Wikipedia reveals all

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Oh man, I didn't know it was out on DVD.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

I have a feeling that this may be one of those series best left to memory...

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Sadly, I have no doubt you're right. But it *was* great at the time.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

"And I was also thinking (just to keep in with the thread theme), Did I really ever see that?"

You did IMP, and so did I. I seem to recall that it was a French camera crew.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X