Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TV nobody else saw.

I think we've done this before but;

I have mentioned on here before that a friend of mine is sure he saw a feature on 'Nationwide' just prior to 1977 about a plan to carve the Isle of Wight (or maybe Man) in to the shape of the Queen's head and has been desperate in recent decades for someone to confirm that they saw it too.

In the same vein, I once saw a one-off TV play (mid/late eighties I think) based on a true story about a British spy and covert Welsh Nationalist who was involved with the putative plans for a link-up between the IRA, the German Abwehr and Welsh and Scottish nationalists during the war

I really don't remember much about it apart from it being a terrific if bizarre plot and the guy being portayed as (unsurprisingly) a complete fuck-up. Oh, and I remember his line when he was finally arrested was "Don't touch me, I'm special!".

Anyone recall either the play or the person it was based one?

TV nobody else saw.

No, but no-one else seems to remember "The Shadoks and the Gibis".

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

What's the German Abwehr?

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Military Intelligence.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Abwehr also translates (and is used) as 'back four'.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

I used to have this problem all the time, before the internet arrived.

I used to tell people about a bizarre east European children's programme I remembered, called Oskar, Kina and the Laser. About a boy with a duck and a talking laser. People thought I was crackers.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

I remember two BBC 2 specials from the early 90s (I think) that I've never been able to get the names for.

One was set aboard a train full of famous historical characters (poets?) having a chat with someone who may have been Benjamin Zephanaiah.

The other, much more interesting but with a special effects budget so low it looked like it was filmed on a Playschool set, was about Vietnamese women being fitted with vaginal implants that had metal teeth to emasculate any US soldiers trying to rape them - a kind of a vengeance squad.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

I do, and so does Mrs Bafflin. Wonderful stuff.

Loads (and loads) of episodes are available online.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

I remember watching a programme/film in the early 1980s and it's effect was quite disturbing.

I can only remember three details about it clearly;

1) A lot of it is set in a house.

2) The house is situated next to a lake or river.

3) At one point, blood seeps through a corner of the ceiling in the front room of the house.

I've asked everyone and no-one remembers it.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

this is a rather banal i suppose but I seem to remember a nike advert starring paul scholes that aired on the night england got knocked out of a big tournament, possibly euro 2000. it was kind of low key and sad and had an 'always next time' sort of message to it. i only saw it once and can't see any mention of it anywhere but i would feel better if someone could confirm that i didnt just dream the whole thing

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Kowalski, it sounds like this:

http://www.hammerhouseofhorrortvseries.co.uk/hhbled2.html

from October 1980

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

mafu wrote:
                        this is a rather banal i suppose but I seem to remember a nike advert starring paul scholes that aired on the night england got knocked out of a big tournament, possibly euro 2000. it was kind of low key and sad and had an 'always next time' sort of message to it. i only saw it once and can't see any mention of it anywhere but i would feel better if someone could confirm that i didnt just dream the whole thing
                        If Scholes spoke in it you may have dreamt the whole thing.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

There was an anti-smoking advert in the 80s which I'd begun to imagine I must have imagined, cause no one else knew what I was on about when I mentioned it. But then a friend started talking about the advert last week out of the blue, so I know I'm not nuts.

It explained how the human body would have to evolve if it was going to be able to cope with smoking, and culminated in the actual Smoking Man of the Future being presented: a green, emaciated goblin-like creature with a mouth like a ringpiece belching smoke toward the screen.

Absolutely fucking terrifiying, it was. Put me off smoking so badly that I didn't start until I was 14 years old.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Huge for Not Me, there.

I, too, remember that ad. Didn't the goblin-thing go on to appear in the film version of 'Sin City'?

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Bafflin Smoke Signals wrote:

I do, and so does Mrs Bafflin. Wonderful stuff.

Loads (and loads) of episodes are available online.
                              Fantastic! Thanks.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Not me wrote:
                                There was an anti-smoking advert in the 80s which I'd begun to imagine I must have imagined, cause no one else knew what I was on about when I mentioned it. But then a friend started talking about the advert last week out of the blue, so I know I'm not nuts.

It explained how the human body would have to evolve if it was going to be able to cope with smoking, and culminated in the actual Smoking Man of the Future being presented: a green, emaciated goblin-like creature with a mouth like a ringpiece belching smoke toward the screen.

Absolutely fucking terrifiying, it was. Put me off smoking so badly that I didn't start until I was 14 years old.
                                And, if I recall, it had a really long finger for flicking the cigarette!

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

I was thinking just the other day about a documentary I saw when I was a kid about some cross-desert motorcycle rally, and how the tv folk announced they'd found this spot where the riders always hit some kind of a pothole that caused them to crash. Rather than warn the next rider, they set up the camera, declaring "it was an opportunity too good to resist". Along comes the motorcyclist, buzzing along in the dust, hits the rut, and goes flying through the air and lands in a crumpled heap. They show it again in slow-mo. The crew saunters over to him and says, "Are you alright?" and he nods begrudgingly before eventually getting back on to his bike.

I wonder what they'd have done if he'd broken his neck. And I wonder what sort of a scumbag you'd have to be to knowingly film someone risk their life just so you can get a money shot for your wanky documentary. And I was also thinking (just to keep in with the thread theme), Did I really ever see that?

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

When I was a kid, I was at a Sears, and there was a wall of tvs all playing this movie. A shirtless man was being led to a cave by a line of druids. They did a seance by a fire, where this demon popped up and screamed "who summoned me ?!!!"

He then took a figure of wax, put it over the flame, and the shirtless man started squirming and screaming. As I was 6 or 7, that shit scared the shit outta me and it haunted me for years.

Then it popped up on cable a few years back, and I couldn't believe it. The shirtless man was William Shatner, and the demon was Ernest Borginine. That cracked me up.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

When I was a kid, I was at a Sears, and there was a wall of tvs all playing this movie. A shirtless man was being led to a cave by a line of druids. They did a seance by a fire, where this demon popped up and screamed "who summoned me ?!!!"

He then took a figure of wax, put it over the flame, and the shirtless man started squirming and screaming. As I was 6 or 7, that shit scared the shit outta me and it haunted me for years.

Then it popped up on cable, and I couldn't believe it. The shirtless man was William Shatner, and the demon was Ernest Borginine. That cracked me up.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

I'm pretty certain I saw a Magnum PI and Murder She Wrote crossover show, based on an airplane, with a dog smuggled on board.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

I have mentioned on here before that a friend of mine is sure he saw a feature on 'Nationwide' just prior to 1977 about a plan to carve the Isle of Wight (or maybe Man) in to the shape of the Queen's head and has been desperate in recent decades for someone to confirm that they saw it too.
                                          Here I am. I can't remember which island it was, but I swear I can remember seeing a cardboard reconstruction of two tankers pulling away the off-cuts to reveal the Queen's head.

(It was all rather tongue-in cheek and, well, Nationwidey)

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

My mate found John Stapleton saying that "Stephen Queer Twigg' had lost his seat in the 2005 election.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

A few years ago I caught a scene from a thriller (probably on Channel Five) that freaked me out completely. A woman's hiding in long grass while her boyfriend/partner is incapacitated, though awake, lying in scrubland just beyond. Shot from low down, you see a pickup pull up, a guy's legs and someone tying the boyfriend/partner up, so that he's lying facing the woman (who the villain can't see). His arms and legs are tied to ropes that the faceless villain then ties to the pickup, but with a tree inbetween the boyfriend/partner and the pickup.

Villain gets into pickup, boyfriend/partner stares terrified at his other half, villain guns engine, horribly cracking noise, boyfriend/partner vomits blood and (off-screen) presumably his arms and legs part company.

Still freaks me out now.

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Crusoe wrote:

The other, much more interesting but with a special effects budget so low it looked like it was filmed on a Playschool set, was about Vietnamese women being fitted with vaginal implants that had metal teeth to emasculate any US soldiers trying to rape them - a kind of a vengeance squad.
                                                Looks like at least one other person saw that and has gone for a re-make:

Comment

TV nobody else saw.

Shadoks-inspired bump...

Wyatt, I don't know whether your love of the Shadoks was sufficiently sated by the online stuff, but I just noticed this boxed set of DVDs on amazon.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X