X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

England vs Germany... again

ursus arctos wrote:
    He did say "over 90 minutes", Dunc.
    Aye, I know. Over 90 minutes in Euro 08 qualifying Liechtenstein comfortably beat Iceland who thrashed Ultonia twice who easily saw off Spain. Doesn't make Heidi's boys the champions of Europe.

Comparative results aren't a reliable guide to Sunday's game, but they're a fairly good summary of the two teams' place in history (which Jan also mentioned).

MyOldMansADutchman wrote:
    oh, and Pretorian, pick a fucking side.

Twat. All fucking fortnight, you have been blowing the 'Irish' trumpet.

Doing well, are they? Summer soccer? qualifications for Europe, pending (after beating Rockall?)

Sir, I dont know you, but fuck off. Royally or otherwise
    Sporran in a twist again, Jimmy? Look, no hard feelings. Hopefully we'll do a beer when I'm in Brighton later in the summer.

I thought I said, I'm backing Diego's boys to win it- the Slovenian and Slovakian side bets were because they knocked us out in qualifying. It's a trad. thing.

Comment

SydneyToon wrote

If England lose by more than one goal in the World Cup, it will be for the first time since 1954.
      Well not quite, Brazil beat us 3-1 in the quarter-finals in 1962, and the reason we didn't qualify for either 1978 or 1994 were the 2-0 defeats handed out in qualifying by Italy and then both Norway and Holland, but you're right in saying it doesn't happen to England very often. In fact Germany have probably lost more games by two goals or more, in their history, than England - that's how they've exited the last three tournaments, anyway.

Comment

MyOldMansADutchman wrote:
        oh, and Pretorian, pick a fucking side.

Twat. All fucking fortnight, you have been blowing the 'Irish' trumpet.

Doing well, are they? Summer soccer? qualifications for Europe, pending (after beating Rockall?)

Sir, I dont know you, but fuck off. Royally or otherwise.
        That's out of order.

Comment

I assume that Syd means in the actual finals, as opposed to the qualifying stuff?

If so, I think he is correct...

Comment

Ek weet nie wrote:
            That's out of order
            Relax, no offence taken. I probably deserve it for badminding.

Comment

Pretorian Gardner wrote:
              Ek weet nie wrote:
              That's out of order
              Relax, no offence taken. I probably deserve it for badminding.
              No, you dont.

Its not for me to say, do this, think that.

I am sorry for saying (out loud) what I think, but I am much more sorry for making you the target.

Sorry DG.

I have lots in defence, but not in this case. I played the man, not the ball.

Comment

Dunc, I was talking about head to head games, not final positions in tournaments. I did however allude to the fact that beyond the head to heads, Germany had far outperformed England in pretty much every tournament, but good on yer for laying it out there in chronological order.

Comment

(whispers... do I get to have a go at Irishmen who are being twats, with impunity?)

Comment

The Brighton thing is for a Green Party canvass. The bloke in the Norn Iron shirt with 'TTW* 11' on the back is me.

* target to win- like other smaller parties we concentrate on those council areas where most likely to get elected.

Jan- when I was at school in the 70s (and most of my mates supported England+ as well as NI), they'd get very worked about England being scheisse for 10 years. I dread to think how they'd have reacted had they known it would last 40.

+ I stopped in 1973, when Alf Ramsey responded to an autograph reuest by telling me to fcuk off.

Comment

what about 1982?

Comment

Oh joy. Some fuckwit, mirth-free posh 'comic' on Corden has played the first 'Nazi' card.

It's funny, dem Geeeeer-muns are all goose-stepping babykillers that bombed ar' chippy.

Didn't we eradicate this shit long ago? Did Stan Boardman die in vain?

Comment

Relax Marys, cut fat boy some slack.

Talking of Gavin and Stacey, did you notice that the new Aussie PM seems to be from Barry Island? They'll have to give her a cameo in the Xmas special this year.

Comment

All good fun, eh?

Comment

Well it prompts people to post links which take people like me to see their ads, so derivative as it is, in advertising terms it works.

Comment

Pretorian Gardner wrote:
                                [quote]

Relax Marys, cut fat boy some slack.

[quote]

Yeh, some people on this thread are taking themselves far too seriously, imo.

Comment

Some random musings on Germany so far.

Arne Friedrich is a better central defender than full back but he's still not much of a player. I'm still not rating Badstuber at all. Thomas Muller is a player who did not grab me at all when playing in the CL for Bayern but I might come around in time on him, he has shown potential.

Podolski remains a deeply limited player, Klose is similar but a bit better.
                                  I have always liked Schweinsteiger but I do find it hard to know why. I never really thought he was a wide midfielder and I thought if he was moved into the midfield then he could become the next Stefan Effenberg.
                                  That's not going to happen though, he doesn't have those instincts and he's never going to command that midfield. He's a bit neither fish nor fowl really, a fetcher and carrier rather than a playmaker.

I like the look of the young keeper and Lahm is classy as ever.

In terms of the England game, well I think both sides are somewhat flawed but I have seen on occasions greater cohesion and fluency from the Germans but if you gave me a free bet then I would be hard pressed to make a call between them.

Comment

Well given their only failure came in a game when they were (unfairly) down to 10 men against Serbia, a game in which they were probably the better side, I'd say they've been far more convincing than England. But truth is form has little to do with how the game will pan out tomorrow. Composure on the day will decide it. In that sense England have the edge upfront, but Germany have the edge in midfield. More often than not the game is won in midfield. As you say a tough call.

I agree with you on Podolski, and Klose maybe limited in overall contribution around the pitch, but he scores goals. Like Owen used to.

Comment

Cacau has injured himself in training, so Germany are likely to go with Podolski and Klose up front.

Comment

I like the idea of Podolski and Klose up front but I reckon England will win this. England have got all the "pride and passion" hype back and believe in themselves again which will carry them through Germany and Argentina.

Comment

Ghana would have beaten England tonight.

Thank fuck we're playing the Hun (TM Daily Star).

Bring it on!

Comment

Pretorian Gardner wrote:
                                            The Brighton thing is for a Green Party canvass. The bloke in the Norn Iron shirt with 'TTW* 11' on the back is me.

* target to win- like other smaller parties we concentrate on those council areas where most likely to get elected.

Jan- when I was at school in the 70s (and most of my mates supported England+ as well as NI), they'd get very worked about England being scheisse for 10 years. I dread to think how they'd have reacted had they known it would last 40.

+ I stopped in 1973, when Alf Ramsey responded to an autograph reuest by telling me to fcuk off.
                                            Thanks for that PG: if anything, it makes me more embarrassed.

(Sorry)

I hope that they both turn up tomorrow. I dont know what Germany are thinking (but I suspect they are thinking its just another game), but England MUST NOT take this any more seriously than a last 16 game. If they believe the 77 colours of bullshit we are getting, then they lose.

If they actually realise that Germany are not the best, and are vulnerable, then there is a chance.

This Lahm thing: I like him a lot (too), but if he decides to play on one side, because he thinks that makes the team stronger, he is on a hiding.

AIM at Lahm, and make sure it isnt Gerrard, doing it. Ashley/Glen, game on. Prove that you are better than half decent.

Schweinsteiger will be a huge loss if he doesnt play. Not because he is good (he is, blocks/tackles everything), but because the person who replaces him is Trochowski or Kroos... and neither is good enough, even up against what England present.

(I might be wrong about the positioning of the German team, and if so, please say so)

I think this is likely to finish within 90 minutes, but I honestly couldnt tell you, by whom.

Comment

I don't think England have a shot in hell of winning this. But, in this World Cup, who knows?

Comment

Mat: its not about winning the cup, its about winning the next game.

Comment

The ball is round... etc...

Comment

Is this going to be the offical match thread then?

I plan to not to go near OTF in the lead up, the actual game and the immediate aftermath but I will say now that I genuinely believe England will deservedly win a very, very closely fought match.

Let's not have a meltdown eh? It's only football etc. Peace and love...

Comment

Working...
                                                    X