• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst TV Pundit Awards, World Cup 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glaucoma

Comment

i am putting forward Craig Burley as a contender. At one point he claimed that the Greek defenders were "defenders, inverted commas." How about just saying they are defenders who are not having a good game Mr Burley. Does that mean that Burley was a midfielder, inverted commas.

Comment

We have Kevin Muscat.

No, that was not a typo.

Comment

The SBS coverage overall has been poor, which is rare.

The chemistry between Dempsey and the panelists is non existent. A for the commentary, I assume Bashir and Muscat were actually at the Australia game but it still sounded like they were doing it off the tube.

Craig Foster has been good but I couldn't work out why he and Les didn't do the pre-game, half-time and post game for Australia's match.

Comment

Dempsey is unwatchable. Someone needs to send him an Alan Partridge box-set. A typical example of his presenting style came after the game last night, when he asked the assembled panel of ex-players 'how do you recover when you're shipping punishment like this?' Shipping punishment? Fuck me, has he been reading The Fatal Shore in preparation? Paul Okon looks bewildered at the best of times, but you can't be throwing sentences like that at him.

Les Murray seems to be floundering a bit, but I really rate Craig Foster. He's intelligent, articulate, insightful and has cracking hair. In the build up to the Algeria v Slovenia game last night, he was talking passionately about Algeria's struggle for independence in the 50s. Bet you don't get that from Lawro ('Algeria? I thought it was a kind of skin condition, John...'). SBS have really fucked up by using Dempsey for two late matches and employing Murray/Foster for the early games only.

Kevin Muscat is maintaining an impressive rate of six erms per sentence.

Comment

I'd like to nominate the Romanian main commentator who as Gerrard wheeled away to celebrate, bellowed at the top of his lungs "Stevie G".

Twat.

Comment

Dietmar Hamman popped up on RTE last night, looking visibly uncomfortable as he was sandwiched between Liam Brady and Eamonn Dunphy on a chair that looked miles too small for his frame.

What he said was fine, it's just that I'd never stopped to actually listen to his accent before last night. It's a Molbyesque combination of Northern European meets Scouse.

Liam Brady regularly comes across that he can't be bothered to answer many of the questions put to him. When asked whether, after his time working with the FAI, the body could learn from the German FA's professionalism and preparation, he sighed and answered,

"Look Bill, Germany has around 80 million people, we have about 4 million. Take it easy, will you?"

Oh, and Eamonn Dunphy actually admitted that he'd not done his homework and got something wrong, as he'd predicted that Australia would be tough opponents. Whatever next?

Comment

Big Game Gussett wrote:
                  Les Murray seems to be floundering a bit,
                  Les Murray? Les Murray the poet?

Comment

Colin Murray.

Both he and that bloke who now anchors the Formula 1 coverage seem to have just stumbled, hungover, into the wrong studios whilst looking for the filming of a children's programme. The extent of their knowledge of their 'chosen' sports seems to amount to that which is piped into their earpiece 5 seconds earlier.

I just don't like Colin Murray on anything, mind. I think he's one of that generation of presenters who think that volume=quality - a giveaway of their humour roots. (The compression placed on broadcasts these days exacerbates the headache-inducing qualities of such presenters, though.)

Comment

historyman wrote:
                      Dietmar Hamman popped up on RTE last night, looking visibly uncomfortable as he was sandwiched between Liam Brady and Eamonn Dunphy on a chair that looked miles too small for his frame.

What he said was fine, it's just that I'd never stopped to actually listen to his accent before last night. It's a Molbyesque combination of Northern European meets Scouse.
                      He was quite good.

They did Didi Hamman's German/Scouse accent on Apres Match immedieatley afterwards.

Comment

Colin Murray is absolutely shite.

Can Northern Ireland please take back Murray, Alan Green, Steven Nolan and Eamonn Holmes?

We'll happily keep your musicians, Neil Hannon, Ash and the Undertones but please stop sending us your shite broadcasters.

Comment

You forgot Patrick 'intolerable' Kielty.

Comment

Etienne wrote:
                            You forgot Patrick 'intolerable' Kielty.
                            I had tried my best to.

Comment

Ignatz. wrote:
                              Big Game Gussett wrote:
                              Les Murray seems to be floundering a bit,
                              Les Murray? Les Murray the poet?
                              Nah, different bloke. The other Australia-based posters will probably know more about him, but from what I can work out the Football Les Murray is a respected presenter who has been around for years and been a great advocate for the game in a fairly football sceptic landscape. He'd probably be quite popular round these parts because he says things like Meeeelan, Beshiktash and Balenthia.

Comment

That's a shame. "So, Seamus Heaney, what do you make of the Germans in the first half?"

"Well, Podolski booted a leather football truer and farther than I ever expected."

Comment

cubillas wrote:
                                  The pre-match BBC chat for Algeria - Slovenia was painful and disgraceful in equal measures. It's bad enough when they now nothing about one side, but the blatant lack of knowledge and interest was frightening.
                                  +1

Hansen at one point said words to the effect of "I'm too important to be made to sit and watch this." The commentators (Mark Bright and A.N.Other, I think?) were also bemoaning their luck at being forced to go on an all-expenses-paid-trip to 'work' at the World Cup Finals.

And inevitably at half-time the England vs. USA corpse was exhumed; a third post-mortem conducted; and the BBC pundit inquest concluded that no way would England fail to beat both Algeria and Slovenia.

Comment

Big Game Gussett wrote:
                                    I really rate Craig Foster. He's intelligent, articulate, insightful and has cracking hair.
                                    I can't stand Foster - he's completely humourless and has a horrible, droning, robotic delivery. Anybody who enjoyed watching the dreary rubbish Sydney FC served up last season shouldn't be given airtime. The A League would have no chance of surviving if we had more Lavickas which is what Foster wants.

I'll gave you the hair though.

Comment

Leon Tricker wrote:
                                      cubillas wrote:
                                      The pre-match BBC chat for Algeria - Slovenia was painful and disgraceful in equal measures. It's bad enough when they now nothing about one side, but the blatant lack of knowledge and interest was frightening.
                                      +1
                                      +2

It was absolutely shocking. Does anyone have the email for the BBC head of sport/football, this constant shit shouldn't be allowed to pass without criticism.

Comment

Well done Arab. You've managed to slip in two anti-Sydney FC jibes in your last two posts, in two threads covering two completely unrelated topics.

Craig "Chief Football Analyst" Foster is an agenda driven megalomaniac. He's fluent, good on TV, does indeed have fine hair but has been relentlessly grinding his axe for what seems like an eternity.

Comment

tratorello wrote:
                                          Can Northern Ireland please take back Murray, Alan Green, Steven Nolan and Eamonn Holmes? [and Paddy Kielty]

We'll happily keep your musicians, Neil Hannon, Ash and the Undertones but please stop sending us your shite broadcasters
                                          Be fair Wurzel, the ones we have left are even worse.

Nolan has a daily show on Radio Ulster too, he's a workaholic. Lame-assed shock jock, basically, as described by our own Punk Rock Dee.

Comment

pip wrote:
                                            It was absolutely shocking. Does anyone have the email for the BBC head of sport/football, this constant shit shouldn't be allowed to pass without criticism.
                                            Good idea. I guess this is it:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/homepage/

Comment

Pim Verbose wrote:
                                              Well done Arab. You've managed to slip in two anti-Sydney FC jibes in your last two posts, in two threads covering two completely unrelated topics.

Craig "Chief Football Analyst" Foster is an agenda driven megalomaniac. He's fluent, good on TV, does indeed have fine hair but has been relentlessly grinding his axe for what seems like an eternity.
                                              Thank you.

Although I can't recall what the other one was.

Comment

Edgar Davids was borderline carcrash. Didn't seem to have a pint, and appeared to struggle putting his lack of ideas into English.

Comment

When was Edgar Davids on UK tv.
                                                  He has been on Supersport for most of the weekend.

Can i nominate Stephen Keshi on Africa's version of SKY (Supersport) when he is not giggling in his fake american accent he is murmuring "burriful" like a black Bernard Matthews"
                                                  Also, he keeps calling Edgar Davids, "Dave".

Comment

JtS wrote:
                                                    Edgar Davids was borderline carcrash. Didn't seem to have a pint...
                                                    He'd probably just finished it.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X