College Football 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

College Football 2010

Well, he was a professor at and then dean of the UT Law School for years, but you'd think his current position would compel him to sit on the UCLA side.

It would be interesting if Texas played Cal, since UT's current president is a UC Berkeley graduate.

Comment

College Football 2010

By order of the City Council,the UC Berkeley president can only attend games at Memorial Stadium if he sits in a treehouse.

Comment

College Football 2010

Ha ha, seems appropriate. Anyway, Yudof and Powers will almost certainly be sitting in a luxury box for most of the game, I'd guess. I do like the thought of Yudof trying to make small talk with Matthew McConaughey on the sidelines, though.

Comment

College Football 2010

True.

Probably can't make it out on here, but a UCLA-edition DMV-issued license plate I spotted yesterday: LMN8SC

License plate: LMN8SC by Evan G, on Flickr

Comment

College Football 2010

Why does anyone want to laminate them?

Comment

College Football 2010

And why does anyone with a brain drive a Cayenne?

Comment

College Football 2010

That is a troubling issue indeed, ursus. This at least shows that there are plenty of rich UCLA alumni that drive asshole cars.

Comment

College Football 2010

I have to admit to liking the Cayenne. There is something about the porsche on stilts + SUV that is faster than 90% of cars on the road that I find hysterically amusing.

Not that I would get one.

Comment

College Football 2010

ESPN continuing to kiss USC's ass. Some things will never change.

Also, I remember ESPN always using the USA Today/Coaches' Poll for the rankings they display for teams, as that's the one the BCS uses. But they're showing USC as being #14--the AP ranking, as they're banned from the Coaches' Poll.

Comment

College Football 2010

Three pages so far and unless I've missed anything there hasn't actually been any mention of the football itself.

You can't beat sport in the 21st century, can you?

Comment

College Football 2010

Well, the first games were only played last night.

Inca, what is it with ESPN and USC. They give up 36 points to a Hawaii team that had a losing record last year and are praised to the skies and featured on SportsCenter. Are they the Duke of college football?

I'm sure that Bruno is thrilled that OSU football is back to fill all of the waking hours of his townsmen.

If Cal somehow manage to lose to Davis on Saturday, I'm going to hear about it from my sister-in-law for the rest of my life.

Comment

College Football 2010

USC's defense was atrocious last night. If Hawaii had a halfway decent defense, and had some breaks go their way, the game could have been close. USC's next games are against Virginia, Minnesota, and Wazzu. They'll probably go 4-0 and the media will start humping them as always, then they'll be exposed when they play Washington.

Comment

College Football 2010

Yes they'll struggle in a conference loaded with solid QBs, I'd say they'll go 6-3 (that is struggling by Carroll-era standards...)

I think Cal is going to have a very solid season despite being totally out of the preseason radar, 9-3/6-3, with the Rose Bowl possibly coming down to the game vs Oregon on Nov 13. We could have a logjam of teams tied for 1st at 6-3 in the pac-10 this year, you'd have to go back to around 2002 to see this much parity in the conference.

Renart wrote:
                            Well, he was a professor at and then dean of the UT Law School for years, but you'd think his current position would compel him to sit on the UCLA side.

It would be interesting if Texas played Cal, since UT's current president is a UC Berkeley graduate.
                            Cal's previous chancellor was Robert Berdahl, whose previous position was the president at UT. One of the things he looked forward while coming to Berkeley was the proper emphasis (or should I say de-emphasis) on football. Interestingly enough, you could almost single-handedly credit him for the revival of football at Berkeley, his outside-the-box appointment of Steve Gladstone (who had been a legendary crew coach at Cal) started out the chain of events that led to Tedford being hired.

Comment

College Football 2010

Yes they'll struggle in a conference loaded with solid QBs, I'd say they'll go 6-3 (that is struggling by Carroll-era standards...)
                              Actually, "Carroll-era standards" are now officially 0-12.

Comment

College Football 2010

Hey-o!

The major theme in the Pac-9 this year is unpredictability. I saw a few different preseason polls, and none of them were consistent in any way at the top. Most predict Wazzu at the bottom, and UCLA near there as well. UCLA has a tough schedule this year: start off tomorrow with a game against Kansas State in Manhattan, then the first home game is against Stanford (can't remember the last time we had a conference game in only the second week of the schedule). Then it's high-scoring Houston at the Rose Bowl, then on the road to Texas. We can be 1-3 before our first "easy" game, against WSU at the Rose Bowl.

Right now Kevin Prince is still returning from an injury, so we might go into the first game with our backup. Our OL has been decimated by injuries and Mormon missions (really, I've gotten to the point where I don't want us to recruit any more Mormon players). We also have a new offense, the so-called "revolver" offense (like Nevada's pistol offense), which has the quarterback in the shotgun, and a running back behind him, and also using a F-back that can be used for blocking in the backfield, but also as a receiver.

Comment

College Football 2010

Sorry about your Bruins Inca - my dad is from Manhattan and is a K-State alum so I was pulling for the Wildcats. KSU is pretty damned one-sided w/ #8 Thomas at tailback and that's about it.

Ugly game for both sides. Prince showed some talent and should get better as he gets healthier.

Comment

College Football 2010

Even more incredible is 4 pages in and nary a word on the SEC. Great job, er' one !

Comment

College Football 2010

And LSU scores 23 pernts (New Orleanian for points: Ersters for Oysters, Terlet for Toilet, Berled for Boiled...thus LSU scored 23 pernets while I was eatin berled ersters on the terlet) in 5 and a half minutes to deliver death to UNC in the Valley.

I'm also watching UNK - University of Nebraska-Kearney vs UNO - University of Nebraska Omaha, on adthe.net. Just because I can.

Comment

College Football 2010

Geez - OU 31 - USU 24. Landry Jones very inconsistent, defense is not too impressive. Does not bode well for Soonerland. FSU is next week, then Air Force and Cincinnati before we start the final Big-12 season. 4-0 seems to be wishful thinking.

Comment

College Football 2010

It's kind of weird, but the weather turned on a dime just as the real (ie, first saturday) season started; it was muggy 33C (almost 90F) yesterday night but this morning it was a crisp Fall-like 20C.

The first week has become more or less a preseason week, with most teams scheduling creampuffs. I was pulling for UCLA, UW and OSU but no luck there.

Comment

College Football 2010

LSU lets UNC make it interesting, but two very good looks in the end zone at the end and they couldn't get a TD. No way LSU should have let the game get that close.

Tough game for UCLA. Our D looked ragged at the end from K State's unstopping running attack. Some stupid mistakes also hurt us--a few false starts, and most importantly, a goalline stop on defense on 4th down that was wiped out because of 12 men on the field, then K State scored their opening touchdown. Prince and our receivers also weren't in sync--dropped passes, passes thrown behind, etc. It was always going to be a tough game on the road with a QB that barely had one whole week of practices for the whole summer.

I just wish that we could schedule some easy games early on in the season. Something like going and playing against Ole Miss on the road.

Comment

College Football 2010

Not having really paid attention to college football beyond Cal's results for more than a decade (and never having been a diehard), I find it remarkable that a win over Virginia Tech is being treated as assuring Boise State's entry to the Big Time.

And yes, I know the Hokies were ranked 3 going in, but still.

Comment

College Football 2010

You mean the Hokies were #10, and Boise State is #3.

The Big Lead had a good point today: Boise State making the BCS championship game would be a good thing for trying to weaken the BCS and the power of the big conferences, but that would happen only because of another problem in the BCS and college football: the importance of preseason polls.

Comment

College Football 2010

Like I said, I haven't been paying close attention . . .

Will Boise State's rise really change the system, though? Isn't it as least as likely that they will just start acting like the others and join a mega-conference?

Comment

College Football 2010

Possibly. I could see a Boise State BCS championship playing out like this: the BCS says "see, small conference schools can be rewarded in the system," while a few voices the big conferences cry foul and demand a playoff, thinking that having the Boise States of the college football world play against the tougher teams at the end of the season would of course see them defeated and then everything would be right again.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X