Mad Men Season 4 - Spoilers Everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously I'm projecting my own perspective here too, but I warmed to Megan more than Faye. I'm not saying it's chalk and cheese, Faye was good for him in her own way for a while there, but Megan is much more of a people person.

And I read it very differently from AG, I don't think he was running from Dick in California at all, I think he felt he could be more like "himself" with Megan, regardless of the fact that Faye knows the details and Megan doesn't. Faye is more competitive, calculating, less empathetic, Megan is warmer of heart - I'm thinking especially of their respective reactions to Allison in episode four. Doubtless there will be problems along the way or else it would make for a dull fifth series, but nonetheless - good decision.

Comment

Hah. It's a credit to the show that we sometimes sort of forget that these aren't real people and therefore any decision that seems like a good idea because it will bring stability is certain to be wrong because stability doesn't make for interesting drama.

Comment

Yoss wrote:
        And I read it very differently from AG, I don't think he was running from Dick in California at all, I think he felt he could be more like "himself" with Megan, regardless of the fact that Faye knows the details and Megan doesn't.
        How does that square with the decision to tell Megan that Anna's ring is in fact a family heirloom that he wants her to have?

Comment

He immediately corrected himself "... not my family, really ... it belonged to someone who was very important to me."

all perfectly true, it just wasn't the time and place for a full explanation.

Comment

I too thought it was an unusual ending for the Season. Interesting the points being made about cowardice, for me I would look at him doing nothing and continuing to live his empty life the way he was as being more cowardly. He could have his cake and eat it with Faye as the main woman in his life and Megan there on the side when he needed it.

A coward would want to avoid putting his head above the parapet and making a life changing decision he must have known he had no confidence he could make with his track record and the other problems around him with the agency crumbling. A coward would do anything to avoid the ghastly conversation he knew he would have to have with Faye too.

Making an extravagantly large life changing gesture which caused convulsions in a number of lives has parallels with Roger giving up everything for Jane in the last season, again when it seemed misguided and again when he could have had her in his life without destroying his wife, family and personal respect from his peers. It seemed an odd plot move at the time and it didn't really work out much at all, either for him as a character nor for us as viewers. Jane was like a rarely seen extra in Season 4 and Roger appeared to be bored of her really quickly and was reduced to pining for Joanie again. They made a big thing in the last season of his so called devotion to her, the time when he had the lunch with a former flame from decades before and totally out of character turned down an afternoon session with her because Jane was 'the one'.

I will be interested to see if Megan ends up the same way, marginalised and temporary or if indeed she can be the person who brings elements out of Don that no-one else can. It seems a stretch, she is a young girl with pretty limited life experience, would she handle the information about Don's past with the sensitive maturity that Faye did for instance?

Comment

There are many kinds of cowardice. Don's is born out of his failure to face the consequences of Dick's impulsive deceit. Which in turn, is driven by his fear of being found out. He's terrified that one day the world will discover he's really white trash Dick, rather than confident, successful Don. His cowardice doesn't force him to hide. It makes him flee. Psychologically he's on the run all the time, he has to stay one step ahead — it's what makes him good at his job. Other men might not be able to give Faye the kiss-off but he's done it many times before, to Bobbi, to Suzanne and others we assume, it's unpleasant but it doesn't challenge his vulnerability in any way so he doesn't fear it.

Comment

Don Draper says "what" a lot.

I never noticed that, to be honest.

And: Sesame Street do Mad Men.

Comment

There's a part of me who feels that having watched series 3 and 4 in the same calendar year that I am not appreciating it as much as I should. A touch of overkill you might say.

That said, it's good to see them keeping it real. Going solo was always going to be a tough ride for Don and the agency and the writers have pulled no punches in revealing the vulnerability of both. Still the best drama by a fucking mile.

Comment

Working...
                  X