Mad Men Season 4 - Spoilers Everywhere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have nothing really to write here except that it's starting July 26 (or thereabouts). Key questions:

What new accounts will the company get? Will they go back to doing business with Connie?

Are they really getting divorced? (Come on, there's no way.)

Will we ever see Kinsie again or have he and Cosgrove ridden into the sunset?

Will we get any explanations about Don's fascination with movies?

Will Roger Sterling tire of the trophy wife?

What historic events are they going to work into this year - the March on Selma? Goldwater-mania?

I hope they go through with the plot of the divorce. It seems the most appropriate to the era.

I can't remember, did they already confirm that Sal was gone for good? Hope not, or at least I hope he gets a short return at some point.

Comment

Don has a particular fascination with movies? Must have missed that. He has a professional(?) interest in the avant-garde, especially writing, but don't recall much about film.

Dunno about the rest of the stuff. I expect several new on-going characters — including one who's black — probably not going to be the "music guy" a la Putney Swope though. And I don't expect any of the old guard to return, unless they had relatively minor roles previously.

Comment

I've read that Sal definitely isn't returning, because the producers wanted to be realistic--if the client (the first one signed up for the new agency) wanted him out, that was that. It's a shame, though.

To be honest, I'm over Betty, especially after watching January Jones's amateurish performance on Saturday Night Live. There's no there there. If the goal is realism, well, if the divorce happens, wouldn't there be little contact between Don and Betty except for kid stuff? I hope so.

Comment

As you know, I'm with you on Betty, but I seem to recall that she's signed a honking huge contract with the show so there's no chance of her going away.

AdC, I may be overplaying the movies things. But he's always sneaking out to see them. I'm convinced there's something there.

Goldwater-mania could be interesting, given all the similarities between the Birch-ites and the Tea Party movement.

Comment

AdC, I may be overplaying the movies things. But he's always sneaking out to see them. I'm convinced there's something there.

Oh yeah but that's his euphemism for Afternoon Delight, or so I assumed.

Comment

Ooh, excellent. Same weekend the footie season starts.

I don't really know anything beyond what's been said above, no idea how big a jump in time there'll be but there will be a bit more of a turnover in cast than between other series - as you'd expect given the storyline.

Sal has indeed been ruled out, at least as a regular, and Betty in although Wiener seemed to be reasonably definite that he wanted us to think the marriage over. Hope so anyway, it would seem a bit artificial to patch up again.

Beyond the ones who went to SCDP, the only other actor I know has definitely been signed up as a regular is

[spoiler]Kiernan Shipka[/spoiler]

Comment

What the fuck! I didn't know we had a spoiler tag!

[spoiler]As long as Christina Hendricks is still in it, I'm happy[/spoiler]

Comment

It is sometimes a euphemism for afternoon delight, I think, but not always - we certainly see him sneaking out to see a french avant-garde film (somebody repeating "ou sont les neiges d'antan" over and over again.)

I think whatsisname - the Rockefeller man - will get cold feet while Betty is on her lonesome out in Nevada. That will leave her on her own, and therefore possibly open to reconciliation or possibly having to deal with becoming a single mom like Helen. You know, *working* and stuff like that.

Comment

Ah yes that scene! It's the line that's important, rather than the fact that he was at a movie. It's Don yearning after after the only woman who really understood him — and what a coward he is — Rachel Menken.

Comment

Ah. Well, I stand corrected.

I'm just re-watching season 3 right now while doing the laundry...do you think it was a conincidence that the actor chosen to play "crazy" grandpa Gene was a spitting image of John McCain?

Comment

Antonio, I was thinking that very same thing last night.
                        I'm on episode 3 of series 3 - should be finished a couple of days - then I can read this thread.

Comment

Wait, I just saw an episode in which Lane is berating Don for his expenses and then asks him if he's seen a particular movie.

Don: "I've seen *every* movie. You know - you've got the receipts".

Comment

There was also the time that Peggy was surprised that Don didn't know about Bye Bye Birdy. She said something about Don seeing everything at the movies.

Comment

Antonio GramSheba wrote:
                              Wait, I just saw an episode in which Lane is berating Don for his expenses and then asks him if he's seen a particular movie.

Don: "I've seen *every* movie. You know - you've got the receipts".
                              Wasn't that around the time Don was bunking off early — and arriving home late — to see Suzanne?

There was also the time that Peggy was surprised that Don didn't know about Bye Bye Birdy. She said something about Don seeing everything at the movies.

...yet he knows nothing about one of the biggest box office hits of the year? Strange huh?

Don is a well practiced liar, almost reflexively deceitful, what would be more natural than swinging by a movie theatre and picking up a ticket to cover his tracks.

Comment

No, it was either the episode the baby was born, or the episode with the lawnmower (which would have made it one or two after the Bye bye birdie episode) - definitely before Suzanne.

Maybe he only sees avant-garde films.

Comment

Heh. Maybe.

Or perhaps the receipts in question go back to his affair with Bobbie, or even Rachel and Midge.

As a whizz-bang killer creative you'd certainly expect DD to have his finger on the culture's creative pulse but there's very little evidence that he does.

If he goes to films, exhibitions, or shows he almost never expresses an opinion about them. He's so taciturn, opaque, mysterious — and successful at what he does — that there's a tendency to infer there's more going on with him than may be the case.

Comment

You get a lot of that in this business.

Comment

Well I wasn't going to mention it, but I'm glad you did.

Comment

can anyone find a link to the season three discussion on here?

Comment

http://www.wsc.co.uk/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,73/func,view/catid,30/id,272965/

Comment

Thanks.

The search facility doesn't respond to "Mad", "Men" or "Mad Men".

Comment

This weekend then. Or Monday, for us, (Or sometime next year for those that want to wait for the BBC showing.)

No spoilers for anyone that doesn't want to know, but the cast photo does answer at least one question:
                                              http://www.lippsisters.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/bigmadmenbig-custom1.jpg

Comment

The search facility doesn't respond to "Mad", "Men" or "Mad Men".
                                                When I wanted the Season 3 thread, I searched for Draper, a less generic term than the words from the show's title.

Comment

I take it that the entire thread is spolier alerted?

Peggy is gaining more and more confidence. I have a feeling that the whole show is gearing up to the final scene Peggy putting the dagger into Don Draper, Brutus-stylee. Or act as the agent of Draper's redemption (the Catholic angle and all that).

Comment

Working...
                                                  X