• Time
  • Show
Clear All

England's squad numbers

CTT Shoeshine Football wrote:
    ChristiaanJabulani wrote:
    Only one Yorkshireman
    Two.
    Apologies, I got Chapeltown mixed up with... well there's somewhere in That London with a similar name I'm sure...

Comment

England's squad numbers

NS's response is why I frown upon the frowning upon the use of smilies on this site.

Also, John Terry wearing the no 6 shirt is an insult to Bobby Moore, I've just decided.

Comment

England's squad numbers

So (unrelated to the post above) '82 was the last all English born squad then?
        Terry Butcher went to Espana '82 as well.

So you're probably looking at 1970.

Comment

England's squad numbers

Harrie van Timmerman wrote:
          The ad did set me wondering how rare (or not) a completely English born squad was and how many other WC squads will be solely composed of players born in that nation.
          I wrote this for a World Cup blogsite yesterday:
          http://twintytin.wordpress.com/2010/06/04/the-world-cups-foreign-born-players/

Argentina, Brazil, England, Honduras, Slovakia, Spain and Uruguay all have squads that are entirely "home born".

On the other extreme seventeen of Algeria's squad were born in France.

Comment

England's squad numbers

I think you're missing at least one name, Paraguay's Barrios is Argentinian-born.

Comment

England's squad numbers

Cheers Etienne, it's never easy to find them all! Especially using unreliable information sources....

Comment

England's squad numbers

mnb2010mnb wrote:
                Argentina, Brazil, England, Honduras, Slovakia, Spain and Uruguay all have squads that are entirely "home born".
                Raymond Domenech would weep if he was reading this.

Gonzalo Higuaín was born in France.

Comment

England's squad numbers

Gah! This is a nightmare. An obvious one missed as well. My addled brain has obviously played tricks on me whilst looking at hundreds of webpages.

Comment

England's squad numbers

Rogins Drift wrote:
                    So (unrelated to the post above) '82 was the last all English born squad then?
                    Terry Butcher went to Espana '82 as well.

So you're probably looking at 1970.
                    Don't know how I missed Butcher in checking the '82 squad, duh!

It's exciting coining a pub quiz question.

Comment

England's squad numbers

Okay, I'm resurrecting a four-year old thread but I'm keeping on topic.

I wasn't aware of the pre-70s examples of sides numbering alphabetically or in blocks by position and have to say I'm fascinated.

As mentioned above, Scotland numbered according to amount of caps in Euro 92 and it led to very incongruous matches but they had also done so in Italia 90 and it possibly went unnoticed because of how well they matched up:
                      2, 3, 4 and 6 were all defenders (McLeish, Aitken, Gough and Malpas), 5, 8 and 10 were midfielders (McStay, Bett, MacLeod) with 7 and 9 (Johnston and McCoist) strikers, leaving Gillespie at 11 as the only outlier.

The only exception to the system was that Leighton was given 1 but if the system had been purely applied he would have been 2 and McLeish 1. Amazingly, the two reserve goalkeepers, Goram and Gunn, were 12 and 22 in the caps format.

Comment

England's squad numbers

I thought for a minute that 2014's squad managed to be the first all-English born one since 1970 but then discovered Sterling was born in Jamaica.

Comment

Working...
                        X