No announcement yet.

Songs that peak too early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One that has always annoyed me is Blondie's Atomic. It's a good song, but everything that makes it good happens in the first minute; the second half doesn't add anything to the song.

Comment

I think Dignity by Deacon Blue fits into this category. I don't feel it ever hits the heights of it's excellent opening verse.

The opposite of this would be The Whole of the Moon which times it's peak beautifully.

Comment

Yes, I was thinking The Whole of the Moon would have been my nomination for an opposite thread. It all builds to that magnificent comet sound, to match the 'you came like a comet, blazing your trail...' line.

Comment

As does OMD's Joan of Arc - the "little Catholic girl who's fallen in love" one as opposed to the "if Joan of Arc had a heart" one.

Comment

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
            One that has always annoyed me is Blondie's Atomic. It's a good song, but everything that makes it good happens in the first minute; the second half doesn't add anything to the song.
            The TB is likely affecting you more than you realise. Atomic is an absolute delight from start to finish, Blondie's best song in my opinion.

Comment

Fanmail is Blondie's best song. But I suppose we're not here to debate that are we?

He said, after making his point.

Comment

Fire by The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown. After that shock-to-the-system* intro, it goes on to become rather a nice pop song.

(*Well, for 1968, it would've been. Come to think of it - could you imagine any chart-topping record featuring something like that now?)

Comment

I agree with Sean, I think Blondie's best song is Atomic too. Although we're obviously not debating the subject at all, Sits.

Comment

Fanmail live 1977 has added bonus that Debbie seems to have a no bra policy at this time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MnJ9bNEan0

Comment

Working...
                    X