Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Songs that peak too early

Rogins Drift wrote:
    Also add to this "Good Vibrations" and virtually everything else the Beach Boys ever did.

And similarly almost all of the Doors' stuff. I think in those days songs were deliberately produced to load the good stuff into the first 30 seconds or so, before meandering off into a lengthy apparent jam session in the middle before tailing off at the end? Was this to do with the need to "grab" listeners on the highly competitive deregularised commercial US radio at the time?
    I disagree with both of these; the Beach Boys never outstay their welcome for me, and the Doors never get any welcome to outstay.

Comment

Songs that peak too early

I always thought 'Blues From a Gun' went on about 45 seconds too long. That bit where he sings "I guess that's why I always got the blues" over and over about 20 times.

O.K. O.K. we get it already.

Comment

An awesome thread well worth a revival.

I disagree with the choice of A Boy With A Thorn In His Side - I think it has a very moving, plaintive last minute - but there are several other Smiths candidates, such as The Headmaster Ritual and Panic and most of the later singles.

The Beach Boys is just wrong: take Wouldn't It Be Nice, for example, a perfectly balanced song.

Comment

Most Killers songs are like this. Human jumps out as an example.

Comment

Oh Well by Fleetwood Mac.

Could You Be Loved by Bob Marley and the Wailers.

Comment

Pinball Wizard by The Who.

Comment

Good call. Townshend always gave great intros. Baba O'Riley's another one, as is I Can't Explain. Anywhere, Anyhow, Anywhere kills this thread though. Brilliant until it gets lost in feedback mid-way through with Daltrey gormlessly wondering what to do. In a post Velvets world it sounds OK but, even Pete admitted he didn't know how to pick up the melody, or rhythm again, which is why it just sorta gallumphs to the end.

Comment

Mr Blue Sky doesn't need the bit at the end imo

Comment

No More Heroes. Great start, then minutes of noodling.

Comment

Quite a few Stranglers numbers are guilty of this - their version of Walk On By, for one.

The Doors' Light My Fire was something of a catalyst here.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        Leave. And never come back.

Comment

Rock Lobster. It would be a fantastic tune if the second half reached the standard of the first half.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            It doesn't need the beginning or the middle, either...

Comment

Do you need to borrow some functioning eardrums?

Comment

Originally posted by dalliance View Post
                                Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand.

The first 90 seconds are near perfect, the crashing intro, the great, solitary verse, the staccato riffs transitioning into the explosive chorus... fantastic stuff.

The problem is the song goes on just shy of 4 minutes and that gives you around two and a half minutes of endless repetition on the chorus ('I say don't you know, you say I don't show') and its twin 'I know I won't be leaving here..with you' before you get the killer 10 second outro.
                                This thread was before my time but when I saw it pop up this was the song I immediately thought of. So dalliance, wherever you are now, 7+ years on:

This.

Comment

'Remedy' by The Black Crowes.

Comment

Soul Limbo

Comment

Spaceman by Babylon Zoo. Peaks at about 5s, then turns to dross.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                        This thread was before my time but when I saw it pop up this was the song I immediately thought of. So dalliance, wherever you are now, 7+ years on:

This.
                                        He's here. Or here.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                          Spaceman by Babylon Zoo. Peaks at about 5s, then turns to dross.
                                          I think that can be extended to Jas Mann's entire career thereafter.

Comment

I had just come to the thread to mention Spaceman. The catchy bit at the start was added by remixer Arthur Baker, so the indignity for Jas Mann was that not only was he a one hit wonder, but people didn't really even like his contribution to the one hit. I love that Arthur Baker/John Robie sound and can still remember the disappointment the first time I heard the whole record rather than the 30 second edit Levi's (?) used.

In fairness, Jas Mann was brilliant at saying "intergalactic funk rock for the 21st century" in a thick Black Country accent.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                              In fairness, Jas Mann was brilliant at saying "intergalactic funk rock for the 21st century" in a thick Black Country accent.
                                              He's the Chungwit, the Biff Boff and the Puff Pastry Hangman.

Comment

"Oh Girl" by the Chi-Lites.
                                                A killer first minute or so culminating in the heart-breaking " I try to be hip and think like the crowd but even the crowd can't help me now " lines but then just mopes around for another three minutes or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                                  Ta Kev.

Comment

Originally posted by historyman View Post
                                                    Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder. The glorious opening riff is repeated twice at the start and never appears again in the song. It always leaves me felling a tad frustrated.
                                                    Just been working my way through this thread, and leaving aside some relatively minor disagreements over some choices, I had to stop to actually listen to Sir Duke after reading historyman's comment there. Bloody hell on a stick, the 'man has some high standards if he found the rest of that song even slightly a let down.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X