Songs that peak too early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disagree with that Souvenir comment, though contentiously I would suggest that it was the weakest of the 3 singles released from Architecture & Morality.

Comment

We've talked before about Stay With Me by The Faces, which starts out with a starshell-illuminated full-on derring-do rush towards enemy lines but just gives up and slinks off home before even the intro is through.
      Madness

Comment

No, not Madness. The Faces.

Comment

'7 and 7 is' peaks from the first chord and carries on peaking until your ears bleed.

(And shouldn't have the coda - a get-out for whimps.)

Comment

I love the intro to 'I don't like Mondays' by the Boomtown rats, love the piano, ooh I get excited, thinking, 'here we go, musictime' then Bob fackin Geldof starts warbling away and I realise that it's 'I don't like Mondays' by the Boomtown rats and switch over sharpish.

Comment

And it ALWAYS catches me out.

Comment

I think Bob Geldof's voice actually helps that (and Rat Trap).

Comment

'Liberation Frequency' by Refused has possibly the most tense first verse and raucous chorus ever written in music history. You're all buzzed and ready for the rest when it's... just not as amazing. Then it kind of goes kaput. It immediately smashes into The Deadly Rhythm though, so it's forgivable.

Comment

Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder. The glorious opening riff is repeated twice at the start and never appears again in the song. It always leaves me felling a tad frustrated.

Comment

'The Love I Lost' - Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes.

Comment

adams house cat wrote:
                        'The Love I Lost' - Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes.
                        I was tempted to say this but came to the conclusion that even though the instrumental intro is easily the best part, I still love the rest of the song as well. Including the ''I lost it...sorry I lost it'' bit towards the end.

The 12'' version of Native New Yorker by Odyssey. Not because the rest of the song is poor, far from it. But because the first minute and a half of instrumental is as joyous as disco ever got (personally speaking). I feel it's definitely a song where the verses are better than the chorus.

Edit: Forget the bollocks I wrote above about 'NNY', I've just listened to that version again and all of it's wonderful.

Comment

Loads of Smiths songs do this for me. Especially "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side", where Morrissey just pisses about making noises for the last minute or so.

And "Regret" by New order is brilliant until it gets to the chorus and it all falls apart a bit.

Comment

Good shout on Regret, intro is great, first verse is brilliant but the melody in the chorus is pretty horrendous.

Unfinished Sympathy: Peaks about a third of the way through with the superlative "the curiousness of your potential kiss / has got my mind and body aching" line and after that it isn't quite as good.

Still pretty fucking amazing though.

Comment

I'm coming up blank for this 'category', although I'm sure there's plenty.

'Being Boiled' by The Human League could be one. Big, strident chords for an intro, changing into funky, handclap-driven rhythm, then... oh dear, it's Phil Oakey!

Actually, I have to confess he's not too bad on that one. Out of all their songs, that's probably the tune where his oddly-shouty voice fits the best. However, by the verse after the 'keyboard break', it has still lost momentum horribly. It manages to peak slightly at the end, but that may be only relative.

There's a whole sub-category to this, too, but I'm having trouble thinking of any examples. Help me out here! It's that kind of song that starts with a jaunty, usually danceable section - often an instrumental version of the chorus; then, suddenly, the tempo halves and it turns out it's a ballad! It only picks up the pace when the chorus section comes round again. I know I own several examples of this, but I just can't name them right now. Gah!

Comment

"I Want To Be Adored" peters out alarmingly after a sublime intro and first chorus.

As for "Regret", that is one of the greatest pop songs of all time.

Comment

'Interstellar Overdrive' by Pink Floyd kicks off like a guitar-led classic then descends into the sort of thing that you could only listen to on acid. Which was probably the idea, but still.

Oh, and 'Spaceman' by Babylon Zoo. How many people went out and bought it on the premise of what was heard on the advert?*

What was the ad for again? I've forgot.

Comment

Jeans. And yes.

Comment

erwinguay wrote:
                                      '7 and 7 is' peaks from the first chord and carries on peaking until your ears bleed.

Nah, the post-ejaculatory distortion and fade is absolutely right. Especially as it's followed by the shared cigarette of The Castle.

Comment

There's a song by the Hollies, the name of which escapes me, that fits this. What was their biggest hit? It's probably that one.

Comment

Amor de Cosmos wrote:

erwinguay wrote:

Nah, the post-ejaculatory distortion and fade is absolutely right. Especially as it's followed by the shared cigarette of The Castle
                                          The distortion, ok, but the pretty little bit of guitar in the fade has nothing to do with the mind blast AT ALL.

What you're saying is that there has to be a cuddle between the orgasm and the Castle-shaped ciggy?

Whimp!

Comment

Sure. She's going to have to sleep in the wet-spot of Revelation soon enough, so why not be nice for a few seconds?

Comment

The fact that you two are arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin lets me know that I was right: 7 and 7 Is is over by the 1:10 mark and the rest is just twiddling. Oh, except for the 'rousing' 1, 2, 3, 4 count... for a reason best left lost to time.

Comment

Rogins Drift wrote:
                                                Also add to this "Good Vibrations" and virtually everything else the Beach Boys ever did.
                                                I know you've written 'virtually everything', but I would still like to offer The Trader up for balance.

It doesn't even get special until 2:20 in, and then for me it's Carl Wilson at his very best.

Comment

MyOldMansADutchman wrote:
                                                  I think Bob Geldof's voice actually helps that (and Rat Trap).
                                                  Right, is that you saying that the boomtown rats are shit and Bob Geldolfs voice is hardly the worst thing about them or are you saying that you dig Bobby boys voice?

Comment

Another one in the 'beach boys don't always peak too early' camp.
                                                    This whole world. He loves the world! Groovy.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X