I heart Claude Makelele

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heart Claude Makelele

This is getting very dreary. I think I might have to start a thread detailing how I am trying to avoid posters detailing how they are trying to avoid the CL Final.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

I won't be avoiding it, Fred. I learnt my lesson that time, so I'll have it on in the background while I do some work tonight.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

Good luck with that thread Fred.

I'll be avoiding it by not turning the TV on. Except to maybe watch the Apprentice.

To any of our international correspondents: Is there much interest in this final anywhere else? Are TV ratings etc expected to be low?

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

Interest is about the same as usual here, maybe a bit more because of the curiosity of two teams from the same country being in it, and the fact that Ballack's playing.

Because I'm English, people keep asking me who I'll be supporting. They seem quite taken aback that I couldn't give a rat's arse.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

I would say that interest is a bit lower than usual here in Italy, but there is always a huge dropoff in media coverage if no Italian team is involved. The fact that we just finished the most dramatic Serie A season in at least five years and that the Azzurri are headed to the Euros have also tended to occupy space that might otherwise be given over to the Final.

In the unlikely event that he's reading this thread, LIQ, STAY AWAY FROM THE SUSHI

"Andrei Lugovoy, the poisoning suspect at the centre of a diplomatic row between Britain and Moscow, will join fans supporting Chelsea at Wednesday's all-English Champions League final."

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

Hofzinser wrote:
              Did you enjoy Nach Novo's corking strike in the Old Firm game before last? I can't imagine you did even though it was objectively a wonderful bit of football. For me it's like that for both teams playing. Is it really that difficult to understand?
              No, but I DID enjoy the beauty of that bastard who scored for them in their 1-0 win, whilst I was standing in a pub full of absolute nutters (me being one of them).

I see what you mean, but maybe I have a small vested interest here: when I was a kid playing in the park over the road, I used to be Steve Finnieston (Chelsea), and when I was in goal, I made a better fist of it, than Peter Bonetti ever did.

And of course I hate Man U., which helps.

*edit I meant the game when they actually won. I can enjoy the Novo goal from afar, because Celtic won in injury time. (oh the fructose/lactose/sucrose is so much sweeter)

** and I have a misplaced punctuation fixation

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

I'm backed into the somewhat distasteful corner of supporting Man United in this one; fortunately I'll be watching with a friend who is unlikely to let slip if I happen to get carried away in excitement (ha, fat fucking chance.)

Anyway, having given it due consideration the only ethical outcome would be Ryan Giggs scoring the winner in the 97th minute (of normal time), before announcing his retirement and riding off into the sunset on a fuck-off big white horse.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

I tried to organize a watching (getting a group from work to skip out early to a pub to see it) but to absolutely zero interest. So I'll be putting it up online this afternoon.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

Has anyone else seen the footage of the Glazers walking around Moscow, grinning inanely, with David Gill scurrying around on hands and knees before them? It's horrible. Really distasteful. And I'm surprised it was allowed on pre-watershed.

What surprised me is that the brothers Dimm have their own body. Which doesn't sound like it should surprise me, but in my mind's eye, I had them as a multi-headed beast, like Tiamat, the dragon from that Dungeons and Dragons cartoon.

This match is giving Capable Hands Gill the opportunity to give it the "Hey, look, we're in the Champions League final! This proves the Glazers have been - 'scuse me a minute while I polish this arsehole with my tongue - grrrrrr-eat for the club!" Yet while he's speaking, money is climbing out of his very deep pockets and running off down the street.

Which is why I'm kind of very slightly torn tonight. I obviously want Manchester United to win tonight. And my giddyometer has reached "Child after too many glasses of cheap squash". But if the Glazers spoil this in any way, or somehow use the victory to legitimise their regime, I'd rather Chelsea won.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

I can't believe I'm going to be working during the game. And it's at such an hour on the West Coast (starting at 11:45am) that means that even if I can find a place showing it during my lunch break, I can't see the whole thing.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

Gosh, Chelsea or Manchester United.
                        It's like being given a choice whether I'd prefer to be kicked in the bollocks ten times or 15. Obviously I'd prefer 10 (Chelsea) but it's still sick-making.
                        But then, I'd rather a Man Utd player or fan didn't even win a game of cards, so you know.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

I am looking forward to it, pizza, beer and swearing at every mistake in Milino's, marvellous.

I very much want Manchester United to win.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

Ryan Giggs scoring the winner in the 97th minute (of normal time), before announcing his retirement and riding off into the sunset on a fuck-off big white horse.
                            and announcing he is fulfilling his life long dream of signing for Cardiff city

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

Hobbes you should be cheering for Man utd because that means that fergie will only have to win another two league titles and another two european cups before he eventually retires, and surely the sooner he retires, the better from your perspective.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

I care so little that I'm really having to motivate myself to change my team in the OTF fantasy league game, even though I'm in a death or glory battle with Inca to see who'll win.

Why should I give a shit which loathsome entity wins? Of course, it's not quite as bloody stupid as if Liverpool had won the semi, in which case they would have played Arsenal, Chelsea and Man U in their last 3 rounds. Kind of defeats the point of fucking European football.

Frankly the only desirable option would be a Turkey-Switzerland style brawl involving all the players and coaching staff.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

EIM wrote:
                                  Has anyone else seen the footage of the Glazers walking around Moscow, grinning inanely, with David Gill scurrying around on hands and knees before them? It's horrible. Really distasteful. And I'm surprised it was allowed on pre-watershed.

What surprised me is that the brothers Dimm have their own body. Which doesn't sound like it should surprise me, but in my mind's eye, I had them as a multi-headed beast, like Tiamat, the dragon from that Dungeons and Dragons cartoon.

This match is giving Capable Hands Gill the opportunity to give it the "Hey, look, we're in the Champions League final! This proves the Glazers have been - 'scuse me a minute while I polish this arsehole with my tongue - grrrrrr-eat for the club!" Yet while he's speaking, money is climbing out of his very deep pockets and running off down the street.

Which is why I'm kind of very slightly torn tonight. I obviously want Manchester United to win tonight. And my giddyometer has reached "Child after too many glasses of cheap squash". But if the Glazers spoil this in any way, or somehow use the victory to legitimise their regime, I'd rather Chelsea won.
                                  I am sure I read a comment piece along the lines of "Well, events have shown the Glazers to be the least bad of the foriegn owners so far" in one of the broadsheets this week. I thought it was Richard Williams in the Guardian but I can't find it online.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

This is the trouble, I suppose. It's like the 800 million pound debt isn't a bad thing. "Ah, everyone is in debt, at least Glazer is letting you get in more debt by buying you Nani. Count yourselves lucky."

I fucking don't and I never fucking will.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

Mind, least bad doesn't equate to good, I suppose.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

Etienne wrote:
                                        I care so little that I'm really having to motivate myself to change my team in the OTF fantasy league game, even though I'm in a death or glory battle with Inca to see who'll win.
                                        I had to make a shitload of transfers--meaning losing points--just to get a playing squad of XI. Hopefully they're all playing and the game won't transfer in Deivid for me or something like that.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

Ah, I only had to get rid of 3 players, so convinced was I that the axis of evil would reach the final.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

randy lerner is the best new owner of a club by a million fucking miles. He's not undiluted evil, he bought the club with his own money, he's provided money for new players, and gives the fans pressies for their support throughout the season.

and the villa fans completely love him

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

And is allegedly having a children's hospice charity, Acorns, as Villa's shirt sponsor for free next season.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

he is about as far removed from doug ellis as it is possible to be. Reported suicides at villa park during games are down as well.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

Ah, hear is the actual article (from The Times) ;

Glazers cast aside charade of being United fans

American owners stick strictly to business and leave playing matters to the experts

Matt Dickinson

The whims of Roman Abramovich, the pigheadedness of Tom Hicks and the predatory stalking of Alisher Usmanov are in danger of giving the Glazer family a good name, if only by default. The Manchester United owners are coming to be regarded as the least worst owners of the top four clubs, which might sound like damning with faint praise but it is a whole lot more praise than they are used to.

Credit to the Glazers, though, they have not sought to bathe in their marginally enhanced status at a time when there may have been a temptation to launch a rebranding, particularly with another domestic title secured and a Champions League final to savour.

A spokesman declined even to confirm how many Glazers would be going to Moscow tomorrow night. He laughed out loud when it was suggested that the family might like to discuss a successful season. They know that populist moves are a waste of time and that, while they may own everything from the statue of Sir Matt Busby to the taps in the Old Trafford dressing-rooms, they will always be outsiders in their own business.

Their bizarre status was demonstrated at the JJB Stadium a fortnight ago when, after United had clinched the title, the brothers decided that they wanted a souvenir photograph. They ended up, rather pathetically, having to wait until every supporter had gone home to pose in an empty stadium to avoid a barrage of insults.

They still employ security when they visit Manchester to keep watch on them in the hotel and at Old Trafford. When someone has set your effigy alight, even if that was a few trophies ago, you do not want to be taking chances.

Ask United people what influence the family has had on the club since the takeover in 2005 and they point only to tinkering on the commercial side. The Glazers have established an office in London and have “Americanised” some of their business practices - ie, giving it the hard sell. They have squeezed a little more out of the season ticket-holders and the prawn-sandwich brigade without causing riots.

Mostly they have left it to David Gill, the chief executive, to bring in the vast profits that help to make the huge interest repayments (£42million annually). They may turn up at a few high-profile matches and Joel is even said to be able to name the entire first XI without cheating, but they have given up the pretence that it is anything other than good business.

They have done so knowing that, while their reluctance to interfere at present makes them look a trifle more appealing than some of their rival foreign owners, they have not faced anything more challenging than to fine-tune a thriving company - and will not have to do so until the day that Sir Alex Ferguson decides to hang up his hairdryer.

They have had the sense, at least, to know their place in the scheme of things.

Comment

I heart Claude Makelele

Well I personally will be getting very excited at about 9:50 tonight. I will be hoping that Michael "Good Jewish Boy" gets his comeuppance in The Apprenctice.

Oh and what Eggchaser said about Radio 5. I switched to Radio 4 and even THEY did a small feature on the CL final. I left the room. I think I might stick with R4 though, that cock Nicky Campbell gets on my tits.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X