The Ting Tings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ting Tings

Is this the most unexpected number one in ages? Despite thinking they're ace, I would never in a thousand years have thought that it would make the top 5, let alone get to number one. Especially given it sank without trace when first released last year.

It's like the early 1980s all over again, with great unheralded pop marching to the top. Or something.

(Saw them live last night btw, and really enjoyed it. They seem to have developed their sound a little since I saw them supporting NYPC last year. I enjoyed them then too.)

The Ting Tings

I don't know about 'unexpected'. I get the impression that whichever record label/PR agency hype machine was behind them, had been working overtime since day one to make sure they eventually got a single to a respectable position in the hit parade.

Comment

The Ting Tings

Previous thread (although you could be forgiven for missing it, cos it's got a rubbishly unhelpful title.)

Comment

The Ting Tings

Anyway, yeah, you're both right. The PR company have been doing a massive number on The Ting Tings, but when I heard it was midweek No.1 I was still gobsmacked.

Comment

The Ting Tings

Overtired today, I've been imagining it as a response to "Song for Whoever" (the old Beautiful South song).

"Jennifer, Alison, Philippa, Sue..." "...That's not my name! That's not my name!"

There's a really, really rubbish mash-up in there somewhere.

Comment

The Ting Tings

Which failed girl band was the Ting Tings singer in, then?

Comment

The Ting Tings

Apparently they were called TKO, and the closest they got to the big time was way down the bottom of an Atomic Kitten support bill.

Comment

The Ting Tings

Ah.

Comment

The Ting Tings

Hey brunette in TKO - why the long face?

She was also in a trip hop band called Dear Eskiimo.

Comment

The Ting Tings

Riight. But, what, I wonder, did Dear Eskiimo sound like?

Ah!

"21st Century pop music is about to turn an exciting new corner with the arrival of Manchester-based band Dear Eskiimo, whose irresistible modern twist is threatening to blow the roof off the charts. Imagine Scissor Sisters strapping on Gorillaz" animal suits, roping in the vocal flourishes of Alisha"s Attic then belting out the Jungle Book soundtrack with the unsecondguessability of OutKast, and you"re still only halfway there. Dear Eskiimo"s music is catchy as hell, combining classic pop values with unique contemporary beats and captivating call-and-response boy/girl chants crashing into hip-hop, funk and the melodramatic traditions of the Broadway musical. This music is, very simply, impossible to ignore"

Credit to them for redefining the word 'impossible', I suppose.

Comment

The Ting Tings

Cheers King Mob - I'm nicking that press release for the site!

Comment

The Ting Tings

The full horror

'Unsecondguessability'. Jesus.

Comment

The Ting Tings

i have limited numbered dear eskimo ep hidden away in the archive and its pretty dire to be honest (though that reaction was upon three listens max).
                          but, with all this tings tings hype i wonder if its now ebay gold ?

Comment

The Ting Tings

I think I may have seen TKO support Girl Thing in 2000. I seem to remember I was more concerned with the amount of ice I had in my diet coke at the point they were playing. Girl Thing were ace, mind.
                            Sorry for the rubbish thread title, Mr. Rhino. I'll keep it simple next time.

Comment

Working...
                            X