Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 3rd/4th Place PlayOff is always worth watching

Ladysmith Black Mumpozo wrote:
    Ideally, I would like to see Klose and Forlan, and their respective teams, strike a pact to let each other score at least three goals each in order to keep Villa and Sneijder off the top of the pile.
    I'd love to see a goalfest. The 3rd-4th place play off never lets me down, in that respect. My favourite was probably 2002 when both teams went for it; Turkey eventually winning 3-2.

Comment

SydneyToon wrote:
      And so it will be Germany vs Uruguay, a repeat of the 1970 3rd-4th place match which the Germans won 1-0.

By the way, Diego Forlan said in an interview yesterday that it is an important game to them and that "everyone remembers what happened in 1970". He also said he'd sacrifice winning the Golden Boot for 3rd place.
      For kit officianados...

I watched the 1970 World Cup official film last night (it's wonderful) and West Germany played in all white, Uruguay in l.blue/black/l.blue.

Germany look even odder in all white than England do.

Comment

Germany to play in black, Uruguay in pink. (This may be a lie)

Comment

I think it's virtually nailed on that whatever the result of this match, Klose will get his all-time scorers' record.

It's pretty amazing to think that Miroslav Klose has scored more goals at his 3 World Cups than the Republic of Ireland have at theirs.

Comment

Spijrmijnt Rhijno wrote:
            I'm still angry, 20 years on, about the way the Third Place Play-Off was treated by the English media in 1990. The television coverage was completely flat and grudging, and nobody seemed to think it mattered when Shilton made a complete twat of himself giving that goal away. I was thinking "Come on, you cunts, play up, you could be third in the world here!" but the attitude seemed to be that caring about third place was somehow beneath England's dignity.
            That is absolutely true. My memory of that match (other than a nice Platt header and the Shilton fuckup) is a sneering attitude from the BBC. It's funny to think what they'd make of it now...

Comment

Half Man Half Boulahrouz wrote:
              Spijrmijnt Rhijno wrote:
              I'm still angry, 20 years on, about the way the Third Place Play-Off was treated by the English media in 1990. The television coverage was completely flat and grudging, and nobody seemed to think it mattered when Shilton made a complete twat of himself giving that goal away. I was thinking "Come on, you cunts, play up, you could be third in the world here!" but the attitude seemed to be that caring about third place was somehow beneath England's dignity.
              That is absolutely true. My memory of that match (other than a nice Platt header and the Shilton fuckup) is a sneering attitude from the BBC. It's funny to think what they'd make of it now...
              I've realised that this memory contradicts my claim, on another thread, not to have watched Italia '90. I must have watched just that one game.

I kind of watched the England-Germany semi-final, in a packed student union bar, but I was standing in the DJ booth, arms folded, impatiently waiting for it to finish so I could start the indie disco. I remember rudely fading down the volume the very instant the final whistle went and banging up a House Of Love record or something, to mass boos from the sports lads, whom I had denied the bittersweet comedown of seeing/hearing the emotional on-pitch aftermath and studio post-mortem. I really didn't 'get' football at that point in my life.

Comment

By the way, Diego Forlan said in an interview yesterday that it is an important game to them and that "everyone remembers what happened in 1970".
                Other than West-Germany winning 1-0, what did happen?

Comment

Sparta Rogindam wrote:
                  I think it's virtually nailed on that whatever the result of this match, Klose will get his all-time scorers' record.

It's pretty amazing to think that Miroslav Klose has scored more goals at his 3 World Cups than the Republic of Ireland have at theirs.
                  It's really not that amazing. Germany will have played 21 matches in the three Klose tournaments, Ireland have played 13 matches in their 3 tournaments. Germany would have been favourites for most of those games, Ireland were probably only favourites against Egypt and Saudi Arabia.

Comment

Teams;

Uruguay
                    01 Muslera
                    02 Lugano Captain
                    03 Godin
                    04 Fucile
                    16 Pereira
                    22 Caceres
                    15 Perez
                    17 Arevalo Rios
                    07 Cavani
                    09 Suarez
                    10 Forlan

Germany
                    22 Butt
                    02 Jansen
                    03 Friedrich
                    17 Mertesacker
                    20 Boateng
                    04 Aogo
                    06 Khedira
                    07 Schweinsteiger Captain
                    08 Ozil
                    13 Muller
                    19 Cacau

Seems harsh on Klose but perhaps he hasn't recovered from the bug.

Comment

El Rinoceronte Mentaverde wrote:
                      Spijrmijnt Rhijno wrote:
                      I've realised that this memory contradicts my claim, on another thread, not to have watched Italia '90. I must have watched just that one game.

I kind of watched the England-Germany semi-final, in a packed student union bar, but I was standing in the DJ booth, arms folded, impatiently waiting for it to finish so I could start the indie disco. I remember rudely fading down the volume the very instant the final whistle went and banging up a House Of Love record or something, to mass boos from the sports lads, whom I had denied the bittersweet comedown of seeing/hearing the emotional on-pitch aftermath and studio post-mortem. I really didn't 'get' football at that point in my life.
                      SR, not asking in a sneery manner ( I had my own "lost years" where I drifted away from football in the eighties) but how did you go from not getting football during the semi-final to " thinking "Come on, you cunts, play up, you could be third in the world here!" a few days later for the play-off?

Comment

Looking at some of the mentions of previous Third Place games, to be honest pretty much all of those scores were totally new to me such has been my historical and total lack of interest in this game.

My one somewhat odd recollection is the 1990 game which I remembered as Italy winning 3-1 and not 2-1, I sort of remember a great Nicola Berti header which was disallowed for no apparent reason.

Comment

If you're going to use cricket metaphors, cockend, get them right. How can you be bowled out by a beamer? (Not you dalliance, the commentator).

Comment

What a player.

Comment

Müller! He does have the knack of being in the right place at the right time.

Comment

Harrie van Timmerman wrote:
                                Spijrmijnt Rhijno wrote:

SR, not asking in a sneery manner ( I had my own "lost years" where I drifted away from football in the eighties) but how did you go from not getting football during the semi-final to " thinking "Come on, you cunts, play up, you could be third in the world here!" a few days later for the play-off?
                                Because the Men In Black hadn't zapped my memory of how football works completely. In the context of football, I knew those players needed to show some fucking professional pride and not limp away like that.

I just couldn't see why the people around me gave so much of a shit about how England were doing. I mean, we were students. We were intellectuals. We had books and Smiths records and washed our dishes in Ecover.

Oh yeah, you'd have loved me.

Comment

That Aogo tackle was shocking, one of the worst of the tournament. A yellow was far too lenient.

Good positioning by Muller but again this infernal ball plays a part. There have been way too many examples of keepers spooning shots back into play for it to be anything else but the ball.

Comment

"Cavaniiiiiiiiiiii". Who's commentating, Clay Davis?

Comment

Good game, this one!

Das war schrecklich, Schweini.

Comment

GET THE FUCK IN. C'mon the Thought Police. Do it for linguistic aesthetics, if nothing else.

That was what commentators like to call 'a slide-rule pass' by Suarez to Cavani, wasn't it?

Which is fairly amusing, because every time Suarez gets the ball, there's loud booing.

Comment

Hands up who thought that Cavani was going to miss that chance. I did, especially after the uncertain first touch.

Comment

GET THE FUCK IN. C'mon the Thought Police. Do it for linguistic aesthetics, if nothing else.
                                            Magst du nicht die schöne Sprache von Dichter und Denker?

Comment

U R Gay are playing some lovely stuff in flashes, when they manage to wrest the ball from the Germans. Probably their best performance since they annihilated Bafana Winston Ono Bafana.

Comment

Which player did the commentator just says is 36 and only winning his fourth cap, the third being in 2003? I missed that.

Comment

Interesting of Germany to play without full-backs tonight, can't see it catching on though.

Comment

Which player did the commentator just says is 36 and only winning his fourth cap, the third being in 2003? I missed that.
                                                    Butt, the German keeper. He hasn't been in ahy squads during that time, but he became FC Bayern's first-choice keeper last season, and the injury to Adler and the death of Enke got him into the WC squad. Even then he was 3rd choice, but the 2nd choice Wiese is ill, so Butt plays today.

According to the commentator it's a loyalty bonus, but who else is he gonna play for?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X