Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Films that make you cry.

MyOldMansADutchman wrote:
    To Kill A Mockingbird sneaks up on me occasionally, even though I have watched it often.
    Dear me, yes, especially where the gallery of spectators rise (is it at the end of the case?) as Atticus Finch leaves the courtroom. "Stand up, child. Your father's passing." Phew.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Quite a few, Green Mile, Forest Gump both included for me.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and, perhaps slightly embarassingly, Armageddon once got me going...

Also Lost tends to get me teary when one of the main characters died. A lot can be criticised but they certainly know how to write terribly sad and poignant drama.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

The Ghost & Mrs Muir, a gem from olden times with Rex Harrison, Gene Tierney and George Harrison. It's funny and wistful in the vintage Hollywood style as you'd expect, but the true key to its melancholy, near-to-tears tone is Bernard Herrmann's music, which doesn't just supply the beat of its romantic heart, but manages to give the feel of time passing while imbueing everything with a weird kind of regret.

It sounds all a bit airy-fairy, but it really works and goes for the tear ducts with ease - well, for me, anyway. It's blubbing with pleasure and without shame. No manipulation to get the waterworks flowing at all.

It's recommended.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

I don't want to potentially spoil it for anyone who's still not watched it, so highlight the text below if you've already seen all of Prison Break:

///
          The end (playing Spiritualized during the 'reveal' makes it much, much worse) but also when Bellick sacrifices himself in the water pipe.
          ///

Comment

Films that make you cry.

A couple where the demise of the main characters is so grim it's tear-jerkingly upsetting:

'Das Boot'

'The Mission'

Comment

Films that make you cry.

I can remember shedding a few at the end of Born on the 4th of July, but the one that really sticks in recent memory is the Spanish film Soldados de Salamina:

a journalist tracks down a civil war veteran who went into exile in France, and the account he gives of fighting on in the Resistance and the Liberation is really moving, partly cos he talks about it completely dispassionately and without romanticism.

The book is even better, and that section of the book had me roaring and greeting

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Oh that reminds me. Little Dieter needs to Fly. Absolutely wept all the way through.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Has anyone said Life Is Beautiful and Cinema Paradiso yet?

If not, those two. Every time.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

CTT Shoeshine Football wrote:
                    Has anyone said Life Is Beautiful and Cinema Paradiso yet?

If not, those two. Every time.
                    Si - 'La Vita e Bella', upthread.

I think several people mentioned 'Cinema Paradiso'.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

God I'm so English. Of course they would be mentioned by their proper titles on here. After all, OTF is the only football forum that writes 'Côte d'Ivoire' with the accent.

Cheers evilC.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Oh dear ... the last 10 minutes of Deep Impact.

Téa Leoni: "Daddy?"

Comment

Films that make you cry.

I well up a bit at the end of Field of Dreams when Ray plays catch with his dad. Also during the great ""People Will Come, Ray"" speech by James Earl Jones.

Also, the other day I caught the end of League of Their Own and found the scenes in the end where all the players, now old women, convene at the Hall of Fame to be very moving. I've seen it before but it didn't strike me that way before.

Keeping the baseball theme, there are bits of The Natural that make me emotional. But it's different every time.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Some of those mentioned plus

- Dead Poets Society
                            The scene when his best friend hears of the suicide and runs out into the snow. Plus the final scene when the boys stand on their desks

- Armageddon (don't laugh)
                            The scene when Liv Tyler puts her hand on the screen where her father disappeared moments before. But only since I've become a dad.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

A couple of weeks ago, I read about the 1937 movie Make Way for Tomorrow, which was described as shattering, so I kept an eye on the TV schedule, and it turned up on Monday night. It's about an elderly couple who lose their house during the Depression, so they are taken in by their adult children, but separately, and nobody's very happy about the arrangements. During the first two thirds of the movie, I kind of wondered what was so heartbreaking about it, but the last act... I don't want to give away much, but I'd have to agree with Orson Welles's assessment that it could make a stone cry.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Seen again at the weekend - the ending of Babe:

"That'll do, pig."

Comment

Films that make you cry.

erwin wrote:
                                  Seen again at the weekend - the ending of Babe:

"That'll do, pig."
                                  Seconded.

...Although 'L.A. Confidential' undermined that, somewhat.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

"Field Of Dreams" for me as well.
                                    Plus (and this is a weird one this) the scene when Michael Douglas stands up for "decency"(?) by defending Annette Bennings reputation against Richard Dreyfuss and ends his speech with "My names (?) and I AM the President Of The United States of America".
                                    Gets me every time and I cant even remember the title of the film.
                                    Oh and apparently I wept all the way home when Bambi's mam bought it.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Field of Dreams, ET, yes to Deep Impact ... and definitely the final bits of Forrest Gump.

Ghost still gets me at it if I've had a few.

Absolutely and unequivocally A Muppet's Christmas Carol, and Up.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

The solemn bravery and, yes, ragged defiance of the incinerator scene in Toy Story 3 had me in all sorts of trouble the other week.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Watership Down. There are many sad moments, but chiefly when Hazel meets up with the black spirit rabbit to the accompaniment of Art Garfunkel's Bright Eyes.

And on that note I'm just off to the sad song thread.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

The solemn bravery and, yes, ragged defiance of the incinerator scene in Toy Story 3 had me in all sorts of trouble the other week.
                                            *************SPOILER ALERT***************

"The Claw!"

(I was manfully choking back sobs of joy at this point).

Comment

Films that make you cry.

We've done Silent Running , I take it.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

'Morning' from Peer Gynt came on the iPod this evening and reminded me of a very beautiful cinematic moment (at least I'm pretty sure that was the music): Edward G Robinson bows out in Soylent Green ... and in fact, in real life.

I always mist up and get hairs standing on end.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Sean of the Shed wrote:
                                                  Watership Down. There are many sad moments, but chiefly when Hazel meets up with the black spirit rabbit to the accompaniment of Art Garfunkel's Bright Eyes.

And on that note I'm just off to the sad song thread.
                                                  Oh christ yes.

I'm still terrified (watching between my eyes) by General Woundwort.

And the bit in the prologue, the whole of which is truly beautiful, where the screen turns red still gives me shivers.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

I know I will never ever read or watch Watership Down. Who needs to heap that sort of emotional pain on themselves?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X