• Show
Clear All

Films that make you cry.

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
    I'm starting to tear up in class sometimes
    Rip it up and start again.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Secrets & Lies when Brenda Blethyn says "don't break my heart Hortense" in response to "was my Father a nice man"

&

The end of It's a Wonderful Life when the whole town chips in the money to save George, happy tears but has me blubbing like an idiot.

*blushes*

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Not really a film, but the end of The Snowman gets me every single time.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Disco Sea Shanties wrote:
          Not really a film, but the end of The Snowman gets me every single time.
          Alot of 'good' childrens' TV has the ability to induce barely-repressed tears of either poignancy or nostalgia or both. I'm pretty sure it's a major contributor to the cult of 'hauntology'.

Take the work of Oliver Postgate, for instance - classic 'hauntological' material. Nearly every series he did would at some point touch on the themes of loss or loneliness. It makes me wonder if he suffered from depression. (I haven't gone off to look it up, btw.)

'The Clangers' has the best examples: both the Iron Chicken and the Soup Dragon have phases where they are mourning the fact that they are without children. Those are very moving episodes - particularly when they finally 'receive' their offspring. It's partly the naivety of it all that makes it so touching, but these are big themes, delicately handled.

In fact, this ties in with something I was thinking about that list of choices I wrote up earlier: the common theme in them, in terms of their tear-jerking ability, is their restraint. They're moving because they're underplayed. These huge emotions and themes are dealt with quietly. Or sometimes its the characters own restraint that is the moving thing. John Merrick; Travis in 'Paris, Texas'; Lisa Berndle (Joan Fontaine) in 'Letter From An Unknown Woman', and so on - they're all coming to terms with their past and their current situation, but all dealing with it with a restraint that is almost glacial.

In the case of childrens' TV - and, in fact, just in the telling of any story to a child by any storyteller - there has to be a restraint that is pretty much a 'duty of care'. Talking of this has just made me think of another one, where that restraint and the role of the storyteller is at the centre of the film itself: 'La Vita e Bella'.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

This may sound a bit like machismic bravado, but i never cry properly, but i do get misty-eyed. Film-wise Forrest Gump gets me going near the end, and alluding to kids' TV programmes i always found myself welling up a bit at certain parts of The Raccoons, which i could never fully explain.

Oh, and Who Will Love My Children?, i thought my mum was going to dry out watching that.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

That's one of my little sister's favourites, that one.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

'Old Yeller'
                'Greyfriars Bobby'

Comment

Films that make you cry.

I know they shouldn't but I'd like to nominate an entire categroy of films here. American sports films. The combination of last gasp action, stirring music and slow motion can without fail moisten my eyes. I don't even watch these sports but I'll watch a fictional team of deadbeats try their hardest as they come together as a team.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Good point!

'Field of Dreams' does it for me.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Another vote for 'My Dog Skip'. It's a dog owner thing, I think.

I once watched a pirate copy of 'ET' in The Central in Shotton, with thirty of the hardest, most violent mofos in the area. Hearing spontaneous human sniffling and wailing when Elliott said 'I love you' and the flower came back to life is still one of my most favouritest flashback moments ever, and still makes me grin.

'Lost and Found', a kids' short based on Oliver Jeffers' book is a tear-jerker - and beautifully animated too.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Grrr, wrote a monster message then it gone went vanished.

Brief highlights; Concurred with the iron giant, specifically I don't blub until the end where you realise that the iron giant hadn't been blown to robot heaven. Oh the joy!

Had two nominations myself, (ones off the top of my head) a pair of Wes Anderson films.

First one being the life aquatic, when Owen Wilsons character passes away after he had just made his peace with Bill Murray, who he believes to be his father. They are both contemplating a happy future of father and sondom (is that how I should write that?), conveyed in a warm smile to one another, and then? The bloody helicopter crashes and no more Wilson.
                        Dusty eyed, every time.

The second one is another Anderson film, namely the darjeeling limited, oh man when the brothers have unsuccessfully attempted to rescue all of the drowning boys, it's the dawning of the realisation that they won't be around forever, the appreciation for each other, the way that ultimately, when the shitteth hitteth the fan that they were there for each other all along, all played out through the beautifully shot funeral scene, (it's a treat for the eyes) that film and its message helped a friend of mine reconcile with his brother, which was mint.

It's all about appreciating people in the here and now, I'm all for that.

PS before anyone tries to analyse the back end out of this, I haven't lost anyone close to me recently, more a long time ago, and I think it changed my entire mindset somewhat.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Another vote for 'My Dog Skip'. It's a dog owner thing, I think.

If you think the film's bad the book is a multi-kleenex box job. And a seriously excellent piece of writing BTW.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Not a film, but I found this clip from the simpsons rather touching when I watched it a fortnight ago, the eyes were welling.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

tactictoehannesburg wrote:
                              Not a film, but I found this clip from the simpsons rather touching when I watched it a fortnight ago, the eyes were welling.
                              Groening is also responsible for one of the saddest moments in cartoon history: the ending of the 'Jurassic Bark' episode of Futurama. (Music from 'Les Parapluies Du Cherbourg' - another contender.)

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Big Fish gets me everytime at the end, gets me thinking about losing my own dad years ago.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

The Snowman's an obvious tear-jerker, but the kiddies' weepie to supplant all others is a little short French film called The Red Balloon, about a lonely kid who befriends a balloon and bestows on it friend-powers, but the poor lad is persecuted around town by the local bullies, and, well, it's all intolerably sad. I howled like a baby when I first saw it, aged five, and did exactly the same when I saw again 20 years later. And would surely, I hope, still do now.

I don't know about anyone else, but there are also moments when the closing scene of Withnail and I really gets to me too.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Some quite appalling displays of unmanliness here - gentlemen, you should all be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves. You'd make a very poor fighting force if the balloon ever went up, red or otherwise.

As for me, well, certainly I have to think very, very manly thoughts indeed to keep the ducts dry when it comes to Cyrano De Bergerac, already mentioned here several times. ET had me misting over but fortunately the woman with whom I watched it blubbed like a Versailles fountain, distracting attention from my own discomfiture. And, although a lot of people take issue with the ending of Schindler's List, I'm afraid it gets me every time. Er, nearly.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

evilC wrote:
                                      Groening is also responsible for one of the saddest moments in cartoon history: the ending of the 'Jurassic Bark' episode of Futurama
                                      Gets me every time. Except it's gone invisible since Futurama fucked off back to Sky 1...

Comment

Films that make you cry.

E10 Rifle wrote:
                                        I don't know about anyone else, but there are also moments when the closing scene of Withnail and I really gets to me too.
                                        Good shout! I interpreted that scene as if they both characters know that this is most probably the last time they will ever see each other.
                                        Grant plays it as if his character knows exactly where his self-destructive streak is going to take him, and as his emotional crutch leaves him it serves to drill that point home.

Very sad in many ways.

I'm going to check that futurama clip out when I get home, the IT people haven't updated adobe flash player by buggeration.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Some excellent suggestions here. I'd forgotten the end of Withnail And I, and that episode of Futurama (gets to me too).

Comment

Films that make you cry.

And:

- ending of Breaking the Waves (in an uplifting way)
                                            - Wilson drifts off in Castaway
                                            - yes, Schindler's List ("I could have saved more!")

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Hate is a strong word, but I fucking hate it when the legal vultures start pulling vids left right and centre off of youtube.
                                              Fair enough if it's full copies of films or tv series, but a two minute clip that could bring someone a fleeting moment of joy?
                                              They're just being petty.

Thanks for the heads up on that futurama episode, what a sweet clip, oh flip I'm welling up again.

Matt Groening, I salute you, he's definitely in the groovy gang for groovy people.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Yes to Field of Dreams. Every time. I have no idea why, as it's a fairly cliched ending.

I also found myself getting all tight-throated at the end of Gallipoli a few months ago. "How fast *are* you going to run....?"

But the biggest one - and I think I said this last time we did it - is The Barbarian Invasions. When Remy Girard says goodbye to his son just before taking the morphine and tells him: "J'espere que t'auras un fils aussi fin que toi". yikes, I'm misting up just typing this.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

I can't watch Schindler's List... it's too much.

To Kill A Mockingbird sneaks up on me occasionally, even though I have watched it often.

Zwartboek ALWAYS gets me, so I only watch that on my own.

(Drama queen alert): Dead Poets Society. Shit film, but Robert Sean Leonard is just fucking superb in it.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

One i forgot, the end of The Green Mile. Blubtastic.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X