Films that make you cry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Films that make you cry.

Thats the thing lyra... Its such a magnificent book/film, that even though you know whats about to occur, if you have everything ready (Kleenex, vodka, kleenex, ice cream and some tissues) then you are ready to begin watching/reading.

And THAT fucking song...

(and Kurt, I mentioned DPS upthread... Sean Michael Leonard was rather wonderful, but the actor playing his dad (Kurtwood Smith) NAILED it.)

I actually like the 'Notting Hill' trio... each in their own way have a serious blub-factor, and ok, they arent brilliant cinema, they are watchable when you are forced to stay at home, with man-flu. (The trio being '4 weddings...', 'Notting Hill' and 'Love, Actually')

Having a quick spin through my (rather large) library of videos, etc, I had a think about the films that SHOULD make you cry, or try to, and the ones that actually do.

Things like 'Love Story' never would. But on occasion, something like 'The Bourne Ultimatum' CAN... because it just catches you unawares, and of course Julia Stiles helps... and '10 things... ' does it too.

Oh, and I forgot one: bastard 'Mr Holland's Opus' but only assuming I last long enough for the ending.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Gerontophile wrote:
      Oh, and I forgot one: bastard 'Mr Holland's Opus' but only assuming I last long enough for the ending.
      That film just over-egged the pudding. When he signed Beautiful Boy to his deaf son, I didn't reach for the tissues, I just retched.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

******spoiler*********

The end of A River Runs Through It. The bit where the narrator Norman Maclean (voiced by director Robert Redford) recalls the last conversation he had with his dad about his brother's death.

And then the very end where the old Norman is fishing.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

The end of Finding Nemo also gets me. Even though I've seen it about 50 times now. And Jessie getting left behind in Toy Story 2.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

I did a quick survey today of colleagues, and the (weird) one that stuck out was the massacre in 'The Great Escape' and I sort of concur, although I wouldnt.

'Ghost' has been mentioned, but the scene where Demi Moore finally believes Whoopi is an occasional blubfest.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

I didnt mention (but probably should have) a couple of AIDS things... (not Philadelphia, because that is too cheesy for me).

'Longtime Companion' at the end, toyally fucks me over, and '... And the Band Played On' gets me through sheer virulence and unbelievable stupidity of the backdrop of the film. And Matthew Modine at his very best (at the type of thing he does).

Comment

Films that make you cry.

**********************spoiler********************* ********
                I just watched Charlottes Web this evening. The part where Charlotte the spider died just opened the floodgate, especially as she thanked Templeton the rat with her dying breath for carrying her egg sac back to the barn. I reckon even Lyra could warm to that spider.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                  We've done Silent Running , I take it.
                  "Poor Louie, God bless him... he's not with us anymore."

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Perhaps because I was expecting to, I didn't so much as sob during Toy Story 3. Or perhaps, at long last, I have become a man of steel.

But no, it's not that, because the "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" incident I spoke of on the other thread was only the other day.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Hey. I don't mind spiders. I like a lot of spiders. Some are cute, even. I'm terrified of the way they move but that's not the same. I rescued another one that was in my bed yesterday. In my bed! Half of OTF advocate killing them.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Real spiders are cool as fuck; anthropomorphised spiders in kids' films less so.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

I read the book of "Love Story" before I saw the film for reasons that I don't fully remember, but the book was so badly written and the characters were so unsympathetic that I was utterly unmoved by the film.

Anyway, seconded on "Jurassic Bark", which was the point at which Futurama transcended all of my expectations of it. Also on Disney's "Up", even though I was in a vulnerable condition when I saw it, in small part because his wife in it (which, in cross-reference to another thread in which this film is mentioned, does make it a little creepy that the main character looks so much like my best friend) bears something of a resemblance to my better half. Seeing someone that looks a bit like her ageing through their whole life in the first 15 minutes of a film was creepy, I can tell you.

Other than that, I had a bit of a moment at the end of "Les Amants du Pont Neuf", but this was a very long time ago and I can't remember exactly why.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

The IKEA cats make me cry. I miss my cat so much.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Whilst it may not be an out-and-out weepy, 'The Grey Fox' is moving because of the quiet dignity with which it handles both its characters and the subject matter.

It's also another one of those 'great lost movies', I feel. I wonder if I can get it on DVD, in fact?

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Horrible film evilc... give me a couple of days...

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Two other unlikely ones that get me every time:

The Fisher King (unbearably sobby happy ending)

The Remains of the Day (unbearably sobby sad ending)

Comment

Films that make you cry.

The 'repression' of Anthony Hopkins in the above (although it would have been funnier if he was 'The Fisher King') makes me shit myself with dread... purely because I know something weepy that way comes. (Emma Thompson doesnt fucking help either, baggage. (her, not you))

There is just something about Anthony Hopkins, generally... I happened to have seen a few (Magic, 84 Charing Cross Road, weird one where he plays a British spy...), and maybe it was his pissed period, but there is a serious amount of underlying ... something, which, perhaps, exploded in 'Silence of the Lambs', and even then he was understated... so ignore that.

I dunno.

Emma Thompson is a sneaky cow for this: She is in a film, and you know its all going well or tits up, but then she gets on screen and she fucks you up the arse (see everything she has ever done), and you think 'what the fuck was that' and then you realise exactly what that sound of the crashing, and tinkling, and that was the scene, well and truly stolen by perhaps the best actress of my age. (Triple barreled Mary who works with Johnny Depp a lot... yes her, wishes she could be Emma Thompson.)

I should add that I think that Helena Bonham Carter is wonderful, and thanks to her, we have Keira Knightly (but thanks to Emma Thompson, we have Kate Winslet, and I bet on my side in a fight/piss up)

Comment

Films that make you cry.

I'm surprised you didn't mention 'Shadowlands' at the same time, Gero.

...Or has someobody else done so, upthread? I forget. Either way, it's another obvious Hopkins contender on this thread. He does uptight-but-bewildered' quite well, doesn't he?

Comment

Films that make you cry.

'Bewildered' is a word I was struggling for.

And yes, he is fantastic at that, but he did an awful lot of 'that' type of film. Much as I really like him (and think about it...) you sort of know what you are going to get.

Now, in something like 'Fracture', where there is an undercurrent of sheer malice, I thought he was fantastic.

And to my shame, I havent seen 'Shadowlands'. Is that the 'two married authors' one? I think, if so, that may be a weepy too far...

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Gerontophile wrote:
                                          And to my shame, I havent seen 'Shadowlands'. Is that the 'two married authors' one? I think, if so, that may be a weepy too far...
                                          Indeed. Handle with extreme caution, I'd say.

Comment

Working...
                                          X