Films that make you cry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Films that make you cry.

Has it been done recently (in the last year?)

If not:

The Color Purple (no point in picking scenes, all of it)
    Independence Day (character Prez gives the speech, and I just flood)
    Beautiful Thing (truth hurts)
    ET (obvious)

Sometimes I just put these (and MANY others) on when I am frustrated. New man, me. OK, oldish man.

Any films make you blub?

Films that make you cry.

Everything makes me cry. But the worst I can remember are The Man Who Wasn't There and the Enigma of Kasper Hauser and Nobody Knows and Cyrano de Bergerac and Les Miserables (the French war film). and then there's stuff like My Life Without Me and Brokeback Mountain that makes everybody cry. and I won't have anything to do with films where sad things happen to animals.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Yes. I challenge anyone to watch My Dog Skip from start to end with a dry eye.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

I say this every time, but The Iron Giant. I get weepy just thinking about it.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Lyra wrote:
          Everything makes me cry.
          I'm glad I'm not the only one!

...and I won't have anything to do with films where sad things happen to animals.
          Me neither, but that doesn't so much make me sad as make me angry.

I have to confess I'm woefully out of touch with film, these days, but I do like 'weepies' (even so-called 'chick flicks' if you want to call them that) and I've started this very thread in previous OTF lives. Thus, at the risk of repetition...

'Paris, Texas' - I cried every time I watched this up until recently, and even then I was fighting back the tears at the 'denouement' scene. Just incredible. All I had to hear was that line: "A trailer...?" and it would set me off. Oh, and in case you're wondering, yes it is worth the wait through the seemingly endless build-up.

'Ballad Of A Soldier' - Yes, I know I've mentioned this film a million times before, however... The thing is with this one is that it's signposted from a mile off - you're actually told it happens at the beginning of the film, and it's the simplest 'device', too - but that final scene... it'll hit you more than you thought and just because through the simple scenes you've shared with the main character you've formed a basic bond. I suppose that's how all such 'weepies' work, but in this case it's remarkably effective.

'The Elephant Man' - So many scenes! And although 'the 23rd psalm scene' may be the most obvious one, it's gained it's notoriety for a reason. "...I didn't teach him that part!"

'Mother And Son' - From the 'sleeve notes' on the back: "I wept and wept from start to finish" - Nick Cave. So restrained and yet so expressive you almost won't believe what you're seeing.

'Ikiru' - The tragedy of a (nearly) wasted life. From a user review on IMDB.com: "This is Akira Kurosawa's masterpiece, yes, even better than Rashomon and The Seven Samurai."

'Letter From An Unknown Woman' - Perhaps the ultimate story of unrequited love. A life wasted in a different way, perhaps? If this was re-made today, I bet it would end up as a bitter, soulless tale. Yet in the hands of Max Ophuls it was radiant ...and all the more passionate for the contrast between the visual beauty and the personal cruelty.

'The Unbearable Lightness Of Being' - The scene where the dog dies. (Yes, this is because I'm a big dog softy, but...) One moment it's a clumsy, exuberant puppy, slipping on the boards on the hall; the next it's dying. I just wasn't expecting the passage of time to be so exaggerated, I suppose. The dog's passing is, in one sense, a big metaphor for things changing and yet simultaneously not changing as time passes.

'An Angel At My Table' - This one will make you cry out of sheer frustration at the protagonist's plight.

Then there's the documentaries...

'Shoah' - Just for the interview with the man in the barber's chair. The subject matter, though, is - of course - crushing in its own right, but that one man's determination to relate what happened, even though it's too painful for him to think about just encapsulates the whole film.

'Hoop Dreams' - The scene where the mother receives the letter of notification. A happy weepy moment, for once!

'Etre et Avoir' - *That* scene. I'm hesitant to include this one, due to the allegations of exploitation that followed and which leave it tarnished, ultimately. However, if you were to go into this film not knowing, then this would get to you, no doubt.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Cyrano de Bergerac

Seconded. Wistful romantic melancholy done beautifully (if this is the Depardieu one you're talking about). The sequence where the beschnozzled one engages his hungry, demoralised troops in a yearning description of home always gets me.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Bloody hell evilone, just your suggestion of 'the Elephant Man' has got me misted up.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

ian.64 wrote:
                Cyrano de Bergerac

Seconded. Wistful romantic melancholy done beautifully (if this is the Depardieu one you're talking about). The sequence where the beschnozzled one engages his hungry, demoralised troops in a yearning description of home always gets me.
                Thirded,

while I'm not quite in love with the film as a whole as I used to be (the pacing isn't very good when there aren't soldiers on screen) but that final scene at dusk in the garden makes me cry every time.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Yeah I did mean Depardieu, yeah.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

I must admit the end of A Matter of Life and Death ("...but on Earth, nothing is stronger than love!") induces a manly and quickly disguised sniffle.

'Paris, Texas' - I cried every time I watched this up until recently, and even then I was fighting back the tears at the 'denouement' scene. Just incredible. All I had to hear was that line: "A trailer...?" and it would set me off.
                    This is brilliantly done on the soundtrack album. "I knew these people... these two people."

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Probably repeating myself:
                      The Iron Giant, for me too.
                      Grave of the Fireflies
                      That bit in Ice Age in the cave.
                      That scene in Band of Brothers during the concentration camp episode.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

I have been wanting to watch Grave of the Fireflies for ages and ages but I just know I won't be able to cope. But I really want to see it even so. I should get over myself.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

The only film that's ever made me cry, as far as I can think, is Dumbo.

A girl I know cried so hard at ET that she had to take the next day off school.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Did she cry all the water out of her body?

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Mrs Beast cried at the end of Marley and Me and I cried when she insisted we watch it together

Comment

Films that make you cry.

hobbes wrote:
                                Did she cry all the water out of her body?

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Up, very recently.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Up, very recently.

Oh, agreed. Plenty of 'oh, I appear to have something in my eye' moments, and a big thumbs up really ought to go to the music score, which turns a tired emotional cliche - the plaintive tinkly piano theme - into a force for shameless poignancy.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Thirded on Up.

Luckily I was wearing 2 pairs of specs at the time, so I could blame eye strain, or something.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

I also cry quite easily at the fillums. I remember Purves G predicted I'd cry when I saw Bridge To Terabithia, for example, and I did indeed weep buckets. (I don't think this really counts as clairvoyance on his part, mind.)

I'm even worse with music. I can't listen to sad songs while driving, because I become unable to see.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Probably quite a few, but can't remember any of them now. The one that stands out is 'About Schmidt'. I wept when Warren receives that letter from the African child he sponsors.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Yeah, I've developed a ridiculous crying habit as I get older. Cinema Paradiso was a blub fest as was The Lives of Others. Increasingly, though, I'm a sucker for any of the generic slush that's made to manipulate your emotions. So anything like Stepmom, Officer and a Gentleman, Terms of Endearment will have me reaching for the tissues.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Oh, yeah, seconded on The Lives Of Others.

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Why on Earth... wrote:
                                                I'm even worse with music. I can't listen to sad songs while driving, because I become unable to see.
                                                I was nearly killed by Willy Rushton last year. But that was tears of laughter...

Comment

Films that make you cry.

Films, music, books, paintings...It's getting worse as I get older. In fact I'm considering getting some sort of help as I'm starting to tear up in class sometimes, which is really embarrassing not to mention kind of unprofessional.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X