Shortbus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shortbus

A film called Shortbus has just caught my attention on the pay-per-view list on my BT Vision thing. Apparently it's John Cameron's follow-up to Hedwig And The Angry Inch (which I loved), and it's about "a diverse group of frustrated New Yorkers seeking salvation in a taboo-shattering underground club". Sounds like my kind of thing, but has anyone seen it?

Shortbus

Yes, it's nothing like Hedwig and is a bit rambling. Very improvisational and inconsequential. Not bad, but I wouldn't pay to see it. (I got it from Lovefilm so I didn't shell out for it specifically.)

(It's not really a club in the Stay Beautiful sense, although people do play songs now and again; it's more of a salon.)

Comment

Shortbus

Cheers.

I was torn between this and A Mighty Wind, so I think I'll choose that instead.

(Not that I should take the word of a man who thinks Victoria Wood and Seventh Tree are any good, blah blah, ho ho.)

Comment

Shortbus

Heh.

(I thought A Mighty Wind was really dull. Not a patch on Best In Show.)

Comment

Shortbus

Doesn't this movie have not-simulated sex scenes?

Comment

Shortbus

Yep. Not anywhere near as many as you might think from all the media chat about it, although there's a memorable auto-fellatio scene early on.

Comment

Shortbus

Someone sucks off a car?

Comment

Shortbus

I thought Shortbus was bloody awful, I must say. Just rambled on through various hedonistic scenes, with nobody you actually gave a shit about.

And I loved Hedwig & The Angry Inch.

Comment

Shortbus

Jimski is right. Started off with a bloke in some strange gymnastical position sucking his own knob to orgasm, and then bursting into tears, the big jessie. I mean, if you can't handle sucking yourself off, then don't do it. Things got steadily more dull, with various characters striving to enjoy their sex. Eventually they all do, with the aid of the Shortbus nightclub, which despite being full of people having sex, looked about as interesting as a post-grad seminar on sexuality and contextuality at Sussex University (yes, I have experienced the latter).

Comment

Working...
                  X