Simon Price Interviews Adam Ant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not over here. He had a strictly male fan base, a la Thomas Dolby and XTC. Straight males. Straight, nerdy males all.

Comment

Yeh, maybe you're right.

]

couldn't resist that, but I'll butt out now, for a bit.

Comment

Sincere apologies for derailing the thread, but my God that Lou Reed interview in the Quietus sounds like it was an absolute blast.

Comment

The interview's entertaining enough, though he sounds like Mark E Smith minus a brain, and says little of any note except for when he's talking about mental illness. Never liked his pantomime music. Of course I too was part of the NME-readinfg, sneering sixth former set at the time, but I still trust my junior judgment on this one.

Comment

'Course we wrinklies loved him.

Comment

Gangster Octopus wrote:
              We did?

I loved the strop he threw at the bass player during their bow at the Royal Variety Performance(yeah, a Royal Variety Performance) who'd clearly had enough of the miming nonsense and threw his guitar in the air. Adam was well pissed off thinking his pop career had been irrepairably damaged and mouthed 'what did you do that for?' at him.

Comment

Well I enjoyed this piece more than any other music article I've read this year. And I've read them all. (Faint praise, perhaps, but connoisseur praise all the same.)

Some of my earliest memories in life are of Adam and his portly friends appearing on TOTP, and of the Ant-brand rubbers and rulers that ensued at school. We were too young to be spotty, but even with hindsight we were so much better off than our hypothetical Echo & The Bunnymen-listening uncles. We had a child-friendly version of Marc Bolan's - in that fabulous phrase of Taylor's - transcendent superficiality.

I love the idea of Adam Ant appealing only to furrow-browed guys in the states, or Canada, or wherever World of Carpets comes from, in the early eighties, though. I mean, Mr Ant went to Hollywood and married Heather Graham for a bit, as I recall. That's pretty mainstream.

Comment

Adam Ant once earned me an almighty kicking from my sister. Indirectly, obviously.

Comment

That was very, very good, SR. (and Mr Ant, of course)

I finally got to snog the girl (yes, shush at the back) of my dreams at a school disco, because I knew she hated Adam Ant, and 'Goody Two Shoes' was playing and everyone else was dancing.

I was good at playing 'sympathetic' even then...

Comment

That is a mint interview, SR. In fact, it's a Minterview.

Comment

Waahhh that's such a good interview. I'm not sure anything he says is useful in any way, but it's fucking entertaining - and I've got a lot of time for anyone in music who's mentally ill but doesn't make a career out of it. I hope he's alright.

"Kings Of The Wild Frontier" is still a mind-bashing record, one of the weirdest top five singles ever. It was consumed like crisps, too, which is the amazing thing. Imagine trying to put that out now. I mean "Ant Rap" is a great, crazy-sounding record too, but it's sort of novelty, and didn't really sound all that new at the time - it was just Adam rapping like Sid Snot over what sounded like the percussion track from one of those records like "Me No Pop I". And anyway, it's a showcase for that yelping, finger-popping, gum-chewing Adam who always seemed a bit (as they used to say) naff compared to the unhinged bellowing pervert of "Kings". That record comes out of the fucking ground, man.

Comment

Calvert W. McCutcheon wrote:
                          Gangster Octopus wrote:
                          We did?

I loved the strop he threw at the bass player during their bow at the Royal Variety Performance(yeah, a Royal Variety Performance) who'd clearly had enough of the miming nonsense and threw his guitar in the air. Adam was well pissed off thinking his pop career had been irrepairably damaged and mouthed 'what did you do that for?' at him.
                          I thought he mouthed just "Idiot!" at him. Either that or "You fucking idiot!". I can't remember which, but my girlfriend and I both spotted it and said "Did you see that?!" to each other simultaneously.

Comment

Really entertaining interview, and I'm pleased he seems to be functioning these days, but I kind of agree with the bloke who said in the comments: 'Who gives a fuck it’s 2010'.

Everything after Kings of the World Frontier I found embarrassing and everything before it – excluding Car Trouble, which has quite a nice hook – sounded like it was coming out of a really shitty transistor radio. What I do remember from their punk days was seeing Ant fans (who were a bit of a separate tribe) and thinking they had a bit more style to them than your average punk rocker.

My girlfriend, who's the kind of 40 year-old woman who still holds a torch for him, thinks it was all downhill after Young Parisians.

That burundi drummer sound, who did it first, them or Bow Wow Wow?

Comment

I think it was some Burundians.

But seriously folks: "Kings" predates "C30 C60 C90 Go". The confusion arises because it was only really a hit when it was re-released in '81.

Comment

But the truth, I think, is that AA, MM and the core of what became Bow Wow Wow had been working together on the sound in late '79 and early '80, before AA and MM went their separate ways. So it's kind of impossible to unravel who invented what.

Comment

Why on Earth... wrote:
                                  Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                                  The one with "Down In The Hole" on it, whichever one that is.
                                  Washington Square Serenade. The most recent one. Very uneven, but "Oxycontin Blues" is a blinder. Honestly, give it a listen.
                                  He's done another since then - Townes, covers of Townes van Zandt songs.

Comment

meregreen wrote:
                                    PiL - Flowers of Romance?

Comment

That was later.

Comment

RobM wrote:
                                        meregreen wrote:
                                        PiL - Flowers of Romance?
                                        'Burundi' Stephenson Black, in 1971. My sister bought that single and I've, errr... 'inherited' it.

Here's the real deal, though, on location.

(edit: Since, I think, the late 80s, Les Tambours Du Bronx have been the latterday, 'metal-banging' inheritors of that sound. Homepage here.)

Comment

I was just looking at the comments after the article ... the one from "sushi" is very close to what his oldest friends and family will tell you, as it ends

"the real adam is a gentleman not some foul-mouthed laddish person trying to outdo liam gallagher in being obnoxious".

This article does show the absolute truth of his current condition, but it is a little like an interview with someone who is drunk.

Comment

That's an excellent piece, SR. Vividly and humanely written.

I hope Taylor isn't slagging 'Me No Pop I' upthread.

Comment

The really brilliant thing about this is to be found in the comments below the piece, where someone has 'Jann Venner OF ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE' as their handle.

Jann is obviously as proud as punch to be a Rolling Stone writer and just wants to tell the world.
                                              Either that or he/she just wants to avoid being confused with Vennegoor of Hesselink.

Comment

Some of my earliest memories in life are of Adam and his portly friends appearing on TOTP, and of the Ant-brand rubbers and rulers that ensued at school
                                                They had them? They didn't have them in Porthcawl. I would give many many things in exchange for either of those

Comment

Jann Wenner is actually the co-founder, publisher and editor of Rolling Stone. So, you know.

Comment

I initially presumed it wasn't actually Wenner because the real one wouldn't feel the need to caption himself but thinking about it further it probably wouldn't be that surprising.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X