Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wemberlee, Wemberlee. I'm afraid I won't be going

.. and the mother in Law's after me.

I've just heard from my old friend in England that he has failed to get tickets for the City game against Hull next week.

Apparently all 20000 tickets were sold out within 20 minutes ( the rest going to season ticket holders).

I'd even managed to wriggle out of the Mother in Laws' 80th birthday party, which has now caused an awful lot of grief here for absolutely nothing.

It would have been such a good weekend. I haven't seen my friend for 5 years, but when we were kids we always went together to Ashton Gate and didn't miss a home game for the whole time they were in Division one. We also travelled all over the country following them away.

When we were 18 we both moved away but I still always saw them whenever they played in London, during their dive to division 4.

Whenever I go back to England I always go to a game if they are at home.

I'm sure there are far more deserving cases than us who haven't got tickets either, but I am really gutted. The difference between going and not going is huge. It would have been such a great weekend, and a brilliant way to get back in contact with my old friend.Just getting back to London would have been fun (I haven't been for 15 years).

Why do they sell up to 4 tickets per application in these firesales? Surely it just means thousands of them end up on Ebay or with the touts? 2 would be so much fairer.

I can't afford to pay over the odds for the ticket, not with the travelling on top.

So it looks like I'll be drinking coffee and eating cake with about 50 other people who haven't got a clue about the significance of this game? I going to have a job even trying to hear it on the radio.

I'm not expecting any real sympathy or solutions here. I'm just letting my frustration out, after getting my hopes up and making all my plans.

And why can you only use about 6 words in a thread title?

Comment

I never realised you were a Robin.

In 1984, I committed 150% of my then net worth for a ticket to what was supposed to be the Chicago Cubs first World Series in my lifetime. All negotiations were conducted via phone boxes on the Dingle peninsula. They lost three straight to San Diego and never made it.

Life sucks and then you die.

Comment

I had tickets to Wales v Romania in 1993 and Wales v Russia in 2003 but couldn't go to either so I had to give them up.

If we hadn't lost both games I'm sure feel worse about it now

Comment

I tend to stay out of the City debates on here because of my embarrassing lack of knowledge about the current team. They're not on Dutch telly too often. That's why I'm sure there are more deserving cases than me. But my heart has been with them for 40 years.

Incidentally, anyone else in my family who shows a remote interest in football is a Gashead.

Comment

My mate Mark has been an absolutely fanatical, I mean fanatical, fan of City since he was a nipper. He's a season ticket holder and happened to be out of the country when the sale was going on ... I'm not sure if he got a ticket for himself and his son eventually (the tickets were apparently on sale through Ticketmaster, not through the club ...) ... but a comment from him brought this whole dilemma home: how many of the 150 faithful travelling to Scunthorpe this season, as he did, got tickets? And if and when they go up, how many of those 150 will be the lucky ones among the 1,500 allowed tickets for Arsenal next year?

Comment

Mercedes - write an email to the club, pointing out that you're an overseas exile, that might help (and most clubs keep a few tickets back, in case of problems)

Comment

***pedantry alert*** erwin, it was nearer 450, but I take your point.

Mercedes, I feel your pain because I'm not going either, although my reason is because I just can't justify the expenditure. Tickets for me and my boy would have been around £100, travel costs would be an additional £75. By the time food, drink and souvenirs for the lad have been factored in, you are looking at approximately £250 minimum. Given the present climate, I can't justify a hole that big in the family budget over one afternoon when I can sit and watch it at home.

Comment

I could buy a season ticket at Gladbach or Dortmund for next season for less than the price of the all in trip to London. Maybe I should do that to ease the pain.

I'd still really love to go. Your right though, Brian. these games seem to be the perogative of the single bloke or the financially irresponsible. Normal family people on average wages hardly stand a chance. God, I nearly said "hard working families" then.

Comment

Apparently all 20000 tickets were sold out within 20 minutes
                    Blimey, they must have had some staff on to have sold 1000 tickets a minute.

Comment

I tend to stay out of the City debates on here because of my embarrassing lack of knowledge about the current team. They're not on Dutch telly too often. That's why I'm sure there are more deserving cases than me. But my heart has been with them for 40 years.

Apart from the bit about Dutch telly, all of that applies to me, too. I've seen the City twice in the last ten years, so I'd feel a bit of a fraud if I did actually manage to get my hands on a ticket.

Incidentally, anyone else in my family who shows a remote interest in football is a Gashead.

My father was born and raised on Stapleton Road, within sniffing distance of the gasworks. Although his father and his four brothers were all Rovers fans, he used to travel across town every other Saturday to see the City. One day, I'm going to tell him how grateful I am that he did this.

Comment

Mighty Mudhsuden wrote:
                        Apparently all 20000 tickets were sold out within 20 minutes
                        Blimey, they must have had some staff on to have sold 1000 tickets a minute.
                        If they sold through Ticketmaster (as stated on another mail upthread) then it's their ticketing system being used and not the club's so it's entirely plausible.

Comment

They were sold through Ticketmaster. The club have shown in the past with trips to the Millenium that they are unable to organise anything properly themselves.

We were allocated something in the region of 36,000 tickets, 17,400 tickets went to ST holders and the club have kept 2,000 back for personal visitors who belong to priority groups which go on sale on Wednesday morning. So 20,000 is a slightly rounded up figure, although not far off.

Bearing in mind that we took in the region of 36,000 to the ldv final a few years back, it's hardly surprising that tickets were snapped up so quickly for this.

Comment

I went to that - against Mansfield, wasn't it? When you lost...? I shall be watching the game on my sofa: the game is live on Spanish terrestrial T.V., astonishingly.

I will be cheering on the Tigers (ee-eye-ee-eye-ee-eye-oh/up-the football-league-we-go) but good luck to you and all (exiled) Robins fans.

Comment

A non season ticket holding Bristol City fan at work was well chuffed because he managed to get a ticket through Ticketmaster. He said he didn't have that much trouble doing so either. And then looked at the Bristol City boards and everyone was saying it was really difficult to get em. Guess he was lucky.

Comment

I'll find out later if my mate Andy has got tickets for him and his missus Tracy. They've gone down to London for the weekend anyway - she's a Rochdale fan, and they've got tickets for the League Two playoff final, he's a mad Bristol Boy, but couldn't get tickets. He's hoping to find a couple from a tout outside the ground - apparently the cheapest going on e-bay a week or so ago were over £200, and he wasn't paying that.

Can't help but think that whoever wnis today is going to have a season next year that will make Derby County last year look like Brazil in 1970.

Comment

is this the good luck hull city thread?

good luck hull! ant was a bit of a fan of hull city at uni (in hull) and had that top the chairman claimed each was unique as the tiger prints were different.

I loved living in hull, very underestimated place. Only time i saw hull play when i lived there was qpr midweek league cup

Comment

Come on youuuuuuuu 'uuuuuuulllllll!!!

No - I didn't have the tiger-print top, I had the first "stripes revival" one. Right, off to watch it.

Comment

Dean Windass has just scored an absolute belter to put Hull 1-0 up.

Comment

Nasty head clash sees Orr knocked out and going off on a stretcher.

I repeat my complaints about the slipshod organisation that leaves all those prime seats at midfield empty.

Comment

twohundredpercent wrote:
                                          Dean Windass has just scored an absolute belter to put Hull 1-0 up.
                                          I know so many blokes who have had their thinning hair dyed platinum blonde in run-up to their fortieth birthday just to prove to themselves "they're still young really".

Windass doesn't really need to do it when he can score goals that good and that important though.

Comment

Why is this one on the saturday?

That didn't used to be the order did it? Why did it change?

Comment

Yes, even with over 80,000 there the place looks half-empty. And to think how many real fans were left ticketless and disappointed...

What a goal by Deano! Hull had the best of a half where both sides looked a bit overawed by the occasion.

Comment

They originally switched the D2 play-off to a Saturday in a tournament year to give any internationals participating two extra days to link up with their squads.

I don't know if it's a permanent switch now or the same reason again (without anticipating that it would be Hull and Brizzle City this year).

Comment

the slow build up of the fourth being today, third tomorrow and second on monday was scrapped, as the race to the premiership game was (probably rightly) deemed the most important and the pitch was a mess by the monday

Comment

Working...
                                                  X