I'll stick to holding my breath, I reckon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr Francis Fesmire, of some University Hosiptal in Florida, wrote the following about 'hicoughs' in a book of home remedies I'm reading to try and cure my damn insomnia.

"A 27 year old man came in to the emergency department with intractable hicoughs for 72 hours. Initially gagging and tongue-pulling maneuvers were attempted, followed by eyeball compression and massaging the side of the neck (the cartoid sinus). Rectal massage with a finger was then attempted using a slow circumferential motion. The frequency of the hicoughs immediately began to slow and terminated within 30 seconds."

Apparently this is because it stimulates the nervous system that controls the diaphragm. Like I say, holding my breath and swallowing three times has always worked for me, and I've no reason to deviate from that technique.

Your post made me think of Blue Peter in the 70's when there was (I seem to recall) a succession of little girls who apparently couldnt stop sneezing for months at a time... wonder what happened to them?

As for hiccups, I drink loads of carbonated 'whatever's handy'

Comment

I always suspected that weird things were going on in Florida.

Comment

BOO!

Has that helped?

Comment

Best cure for hiccups (never failed for me) is to down a small glass of Fernet Branca or Campari or whatever bitter alcoholic drink comes to hand.

Comment

One guy I know swears by the iced water thing - his clever twist though is that he has to personally feed it to the person with the hiccups.

Comment

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
              BOO!

Has that helped?
              Not really. I jumped so much my finger slipped in.

Comment

EIM wrote:
                Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                BOO!

Has that helped?
                Not really. I jumped so much my finger slipped in.
                That old one.

It'll be broomhandles next. "Honestly, doctor - I was just sweeping the floor, when I slipped and...".

'Normal for Norfolk', as they say. (Sorry, NM, but... well, you know!)

Comment

This post rang a few bells in my head and I remembered the original paper won an Ig Nobel Prize. Abstract here

Comment

"our post made me think of Blue Peter in the 70's when there was (I seem to recall) a succession of little girls who apparently couldnt stop sneezing for months at a time... wonder what happened to them?

They were sent to a resort in the Alps somewhere - Switzerland I think, for a month of fresh air. It worked, if I remember rightly.

Comment

Working...
                    X