X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The annual 'Wogan Gets Pissed on Live TV' thread

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
    in that so-rubbish-it-actually-makes-me-angry Sebastian Tellier song
    You're a sick man, that song is awesome, even if it was horrendously performed.

Comment

Good old Wogan. Takes the piss out of everything, and gets really mardy when we get a kicking.

That Russian song was wank.

Comment

The Russian song was knowingly familiar, evoking memories of so many different shite songs it was like a three minute advert for Heart FM.

Still, it's not all bad.

Look at that list of recent UK entrants. If we want to know why we do so shite, we should look at why we keep entering reality rejects and Steps wannabes.

Comment

Sir Terry cast doubt on his role after saying this year's results showed it was "no longer a music contest".

Eurovision has an admirable history of ensuring music has nothing to do with proceedings.

Okay, cheap shot. It gave us Abba and that's fair enough.

Comment

What a total joke it was this year. The UK Media are still pissed off with Russia after being fleeced for £100 10 minute taxi rides in midweek.

Didn't deserve last though, and Bosnia was the best one. Completely hatstand.

Comment

I've never really had cause to take Eurovision at all seriously, because most of the musical output - well, at least the last time I was bothered to see such a show - was the kind of stuff that splutted out of the Devil's bottom and stank the place out.

I think we should go the whole hog and replace Wogan with someone who really doesn't like it and is prepared to verbally shit on everything in as funny and as disrepectful a manner that they can muster.

Mind you, I get the feeling that there's a few television awards beanos that can do with an undercut of on-air commentary piss-taking.

Comment

Every now and then, Britain decides that the thing to do is to enter Eurovision with a 'real' song written and sung by a 'real' person (in this case, with an honest-to-goodness, salt-of-the-earth bloke singing what sounded like a flop Phats & Small follow-up to their big hit). This is a fatal error, and last night's ruthless arsekicking will hopefully ram that message home for another few years
                I don't know about 'Every now and then', it seems that songs even Radio 2 considers a bit lightweight are the default Eurovision entry for the UK in most years. If anything, the Scooch song was a ray of light, a tentative step in vaguely the right direction. It'll take a few more entries like that to convince the Eurovoters that we're not incorrigible Lighthouse Family b-side fetishists, though.

The departute of Wogan can only be welcomed, but whether or not we land a commentator who 'gets' Eurovision is neither here nor there. The thing is, who cares if we win? There are 20-odd other competitors and double that number of oddly-attired national presenters to enjoy, amongst which whoever racks up the douze points is frankly immaterial.

Comment

The reaction over here has been similar, with Bild, for example, calling for Germany to withdraw from the contest, while ignoring the fact that they entered a song with no discernable tune, with one of the singers off key throughout the performance.

It always amuses and horrifies me equally when this happens. Too many people take unimportant shit way too seriously (see also football). Why can't they just shut up, get pissed, drop their standards and enjoy it for what it is?

Comment

I've never understood Bild's obsession with what it insists on calling the "Grand Prix".

To the extent the German public cares, the dominant vibe always seemed to be one of campy piss-taking; that is certainly the whole point of the big screen party on the Reeperbahn and NDR's coverage in general, as well as the impetus behind "great" German entries like Genghis Kahn and Texas Lightning.

And yet Bild seems to take it more seriously than Spiegel does the PISA results (and Spiegel wrote at least 500 pages on PISA).

Is there some provision in Axel Springer's will that requires them to treat the thing with this tone of reverence? Or are there really omas in MittelDeutschland who are still in mourning over No Angels - No Points?

Comment

That's true, ursus.

NDR cover it in something aproaching the right spirit, although they overdo the wackiness at times: hence Stefan Raab and Gildo Horn.

The attitude at Bild is one of nationalism and a good dose of xenophobia, much the same as the British tabloids, I suppose.

Comment

It was France and Bosnia all the way for me, with honourable mentions for Latvia and Norway. Think Wales should enter on our own if possible though.

Comment

Has anyone mentioned that contrary to the UK's (and it appears, Germany's) outrage at the way they are treated at the event they are two of the four countries guaranteed a final place every year?

Maybe having to fight their way through a semi would sharpen their thinking as to entering something memorable?

How have the ratings for the event in the UK held up recently? Down on the heyday of the seventies/eighties I am sure but it seems to me to have a higher profile in recent years than, say, a decade ago. Or is that just my personal interest being higher (because I am too old and fatherly to go out on Saturdays now)?

Comment

How have the ratings for the event in the UK held up recently?
                            7.1m on Saturday, which is pretty good.

Comment

Best bit for me by the way was the girl in pink's spectacular fall during the Spanish Entry. Piss funny that was. Thank god for pause and rewind TV.

And here it is on Youtube. Huzzah!

Comment

It was actually choreographed that way (see upthread), which is why, towards the end of the song, she is tapping the singer on the shoulder as if to say 'Whats the next step?'

Comment

An amazingly good fall, too.

Wogan's role in Eurovision these days is to tell dullards where they ironically laugh. Which is why they'll replace him with someone even more obvious and crap. So I say, keep him.

Comment

When Wogan goes, let me guess who they'll replace him with...

Graham Norton
                                    Dale Winton
                                    Davina McCall

Comment

By the way, our entry entered our chart at, er, No.67. Damn those Slavs for going out and buying 66 other records.

Comment

as high as that? Success story!

Comment

gerontofiel wrote:
                                          When Wogan goes, let me guess who they'll replace him with...

Graham Norton
                                          Dale Winton
                                          Davina McCall
                                          Or Harry Hill, which would be bearable.

Comment

Working...
                                          X